Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-12-2002, 07:31 PM

We made it back

Well I did any way. I hope the rest are home safe soon.

I had a great time but am to tired to go into any details I will update with some details after dinner or something.

Scott
Old 08-12-2002, 08:39 PM

drumming fingers by keyboard......... impatiently awaiting?
Old 08-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

We had a blast!!!

Wait for the stories.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:14 PM
ghall

waiting

waiting

waiting

waiting

Old 08-12-2002, 09:53 PM

Dang that was fun. Thanks everyone. It was a blast!
Old 08-13-2002, 09:25 AM

I had a great time as well. Thanks to all who helped me in the buildup and on the trail.

That bear sure was cool - eh Blaine?

Jeff
Old 08-13-2002, 10:55 AM

The trip was great. I can't imagine a better group of people to wheel with than our group from this board.

On Friday I managed to snap my front trackbar twice. On both occasions we chained batteries together (thanks Anders, Michael, and William!) so Anthony could reweld the poor beast. After the second repair all of the Jamboree folks had passed by so we were able to run the rest of the trail to Rubicon Springs as a small group in solitude and had an AWESOME time doing it. Even fixing the breaks was fun, we were all a bit surprised at the high quality of the trail welds.

Then on Saturday a group of us had a great day hanging out by the river and relaxing.

The only negative from my perspective is the way the Jeep Jamboree staff managed the event. Even with that looking back I wouldn't change a thing about the trip.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:28 PM

Jeff I love your new sig line I think we made those comments so many times on Friday I cant even count that high.

It was a blast watching you in your VERY capable bus wondering if you could make it or not. I will bet in 2 or 3 more outings with it you wont be asking that question any more. you will have questions like I had like, what the hell did I just hit.

Scott
Old 08-13-2002, 03:34 PM

Thanks Scott - I had fun in a large part due to you on Friday. You fixing your steering in a vitamin/mineral deficiant haze and me and Shalom trading movie lines from different silly movies while Rifka read a book was very intertaining.

Yes - the rig is more capable then I am that is for sure. Blaine says the best way to learn your rig is Johnson Valley - but I think he just wants to take pictures of the bus getting mangled!!!

Blaine - you know I'm kidding

Jeff
Old 08-13-2002, 05:19 PM

well I need every one to send me the picts they have I have very few with the jeeps in them.

I also cam acros this on my Willys list it is from the wagon we saw camped by us.

topic b/c my willys has a gm 283 but i was hopeing you folks could give me
some input as to what you think i am experiencing.

I stopped to get some gas and then my willys would not start. just lots of
cranking. There was no power to the ignition so i check the fuses, sure
enough the fuse was blown. I replaced it and it blew again. I checked all
the wires and could not find a short, so i decided to try to jumper the
coil from a circit breaker from my trailer break controller(this way it has
some overload protection). normally my key works a relay, which works the
coil, the gauges, the engine fan and the electric fuel pump. onces i
jumpered my coil to the circuit breaker i had a working fuel pump, fan, and
power at the coil (i disconnected the gauges with the rest of the wiring
under the dash. still lots of cranking and no firing.

I then hitch hiked to my truck, put the willys on the trailer, and now i am
home.... i checked the points, they seem to be opening and closing pretty
well, so my next guess is the coil or the condenser... but i have no clue
to tell which one it is. my first guess is the coil, for two reasons, one
i hear that they do not do well with vibration, which i encountered on the
rubicon and two last i remember when i shook my coil it seemed as if it had
liquid in it. now when i shake it, no liquid.

also one other symptom i noticed before the willys died was that when i
shut the key off the motor still ran for a second or two. anyway if you
have any suggestions i would love to hear them also i would love to hear
what kind of symptoms a bad coil or condenser would create

thanks

nickolas

it is strange to see this after seeing the wagon at the gas station.

I will have a web page soon I hope by Thursday.

JV is a great place to push your rig to the limits I would sugest you go with Blaine and have him spot for you. I thought he took me over the easy section of the one rock but he said it was the hard line. once you see the rocks you can be spoted over you wont ask if it fits or if you can make it any more.

Scott
Old 08-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Welcome back to all of the adventurous RUBICON returnees!

I hope everyone came back with the same parts they left with.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Thanks Stu, the highlight of the trip is the look on Jeff's face as I rolled down the window on the XJ to talk to the bear.

There was a log perpedicular to the trail, about 30 feet long and 3 feet in diameter. On the end furthest away from the trail I saw a blonde black bear. I got Jeff to pull up to get a better view and we wound up adjacent to the end of the log the bear was standing on. When Jeff stopped, I rolled down the window and asked the bear how his day was going. He responded by ambling slowly over to the jeep and stopped about 8 or 10 feet away and just sort of checked us out. I talked to him some more, but I guess he figured we didn't sound edible and hopped down off the log and walked away. It was very cool to talk to a bear.

As soon as Jeff regained some coherency, he explained that he would prefer that I don't do that any more.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:30 PM

First, thanks to Jeff (parabiddle) for letting me (pretty much a stranger) crash at his house tuesday night. This took about 1 hour and 20 minutes off what was gonna be along drive up anyway. So, thanks Jeff, you let William in your house.. you're a brave man!! JK..

The drive up was uneventfull. We ran into Seth on the way up, who just happen to be in the same part of town, on the way to sierria trek. Jeff and I learned to be defensive ends for the Caravan.

We crashed at a cool hotel, calm and peacefull, with an owner who was jeep friendly (we wrenched in the parking lot, and left trucks and trailers there). How often do you see things like that?
And the hotel was nice, with the coldest ac this side of a refridgerator.

The Rubicon trail itself is pretty fun. I'd say on par with big bear, only long.. Enough to make my rock crawling hunger just about full. There were some spots that were bypassed that looked like fun.

Art described pretty well the break down, which was cool because we got to run the rest of it down to 4 jeeps.

One shot missed on video of me climbing a granite slab - my second attempt has to be my favorite of all times Jeep maneuver. About 1/2 way up the jeep starts to crab sideways and I let off the gas just for a second and then kick it in.. And the jeep walks up to the top. I haven't had any wet dreams that good!! It was the highlight of all wheeling! Coming down Big Sluice, back up, and then down in the dark, all by the sounds of "Viloent Femmes" and "The Orb" is one not to be traded. Sarah was an AWESOME co pilot. If ever there was a Jeeper at heart with out a Jeep, she's it.

I got some good video, that I'll copy and pass out.

There was a surreal day by the river, deliverance meets.. I dunno, but it was a day that will live on in history. I'll sum it up that Anders' son did both water log rolling and techno dancing.. all in the same day. Hard to explain.. but it was.. cool.

The trip out was pretty cool, caddilac hill isn't that hard, but you've got to keep an eye out. We had lunch by lily pad lake.

I think that the Jamboree people lack a few things. The person who reported to be the "in charge guy" is the first person who I'd say was a pig s@# eating facious a@#*($#.

But, I'd do it again, so long as my friends were going. And I have the intention of doing so, if it's ok.

Any pictures?
Old 08-13-2002, 10:56 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

I have GPS info ready, awailable here:
http://www.jeepbbs.net/tobject/Runs/...ree/index.html

I was washing my jeep, and I got late to drop off the film at the lab. I'll do it tomorrow.

The worst thing about Rubicon from my perspective was some moron?s decision to turn the sprinklers on at the jamboree camp on the last day as we were passing through. I was trying to dodge the shooting water that was flooding my open jeep, and got yelled at for doing that. Idiots.

The Rubicon trail was really nice. Not very hard at all, although I managed to damage the passenger side front fender flare, as I wasn?t paying attention. It is a very long trail, on the way into the camp. By the end of the first wheeling day, I was so tired I would just point my jeep and keep it moving.

The whole area is at 6 or 7 thousand feet elevation. Lots of trees: pine, cedar.

On the last night at the camp, some of us stayed up late and watched the meteor shower.

The nicest thing was that we did not have to take care of food and garbage. We were well fed three times a day.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:45 AM

Smile

Pics, pics, pics................where are the pictures?
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how your trip was going and it sounds like you had a fantastic time. Good to see everyone made it back with no major problems. I was thinking all weekend, 'Someday'.
Did I already ask for pictures?
Old 08-14-2002, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason L Williams
Pics, pics, pics................where are the pictures?
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how your trip was going and it sounds like you had a fantastic time. Good to see everyone made it back with no major problems. I was thinking all weekend, 'Someday'.
Did I already ask for pictures?
Jason,
I am a picture posting fool and was hoping to get lots on my trip to the Rubicon. It turned out it's not a trail that lends itself to good picture taking. You are moving all the time and there are very few obstacles that you have to stop for. I think the only way to get good pictures on the Rubicon would be to take a leisurely picture taking trip!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:58 AM

I often take pics out the windshield just for this reason.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:28 PM

Question for Art

Art ~ Just curious, but which trackbar are you running and where did it break?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IronWagon
Art ~ Just curious, but which trackbar are you running and where did it break?

Thanks.
It's a home built one with a pretty severe design problem. As a result of my design error it was under significant stress when turning. It hadn't broken previously due to my worn out stock steering box. With the new 808 box it didn't take long for it to snap.

The new one will be properly designed and built from triple sleeved 4130 like my tie rod and drag link. Now I need to sort out how to position the end link on the passenger side so it doesn't interfere with the other steering components.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:02 PM

Did anyone run through Little Sluice in this group?

I opted to go around. Too much weight out back with all the camping gear and cooler loaded. Everything else seemed okay except for trying to run between Spider Lake and Little Sluice in the dark (long story). Anyhow, the Con was a walk-in-the-park compared to Fordyce Creek the day earlier for us. Great scenery though!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:19 PM

Wink

Thank you to everyone, I had a blast. I didn't get the chance to take very many pictures. I'm sorry about that. I can't drive and take pictures and I wish that I could. Blaine managed to take a couple of me. I have a new nickname "scared kitty". I'm a wus. I admit it. The weather was near perfect. I did get bitten a few times but not really annoyed at the bugs. A few of us went swimming in the lake. It was cold but not freezing. The Rubicon is one of the most beautiful places that I have visited. I was amazed at the minimal amount of damage that the group suffered. On Saturday morning we were inspecting William's rig (he was the only one to drive through the mud hole) and scrapping off some mud, when an idea struck (Blaine and Jeff had already left to visit the bear) a stick appeared and the word "weenie" was etched in the mud on William's rim, then "I heart M" came next, this was finished off with some white paint and then covered in twigs and grass. The brains figured, that when the mud was washed off that the words would still be there. I also heard the rumor that there is a picture of Sara sitting on Williams lap in the Jeep and another one of William and Robert showering together under a waterfall. I let Jeff drive my Jeep a bit just so he could compare what the difference was in a TJ with an Anti-Rock. He wanted to know how my legs could be longer than his Dinner on Saturday night pretty much sucked, they had 270lbs of cow they were giving away. I opted for the pasta salad, bread and ice cream for desert. Art's rig is a monster. The campsite was comfortable with the grass to walk and sleep on, the dust there is horrible and I'm glad that I didn't have to camp in the stuff. Shalom's sister and I made deal to do some wheeling (Johnson Valley is not on the list for our Jeeps) maybe an all girls run and definitely the MDR run next Feb. Now if I could just get her to join our JeepBBS board. Did I mention that they had a couple of "Rubicon" Jeeps there? I liked the color. I saw a lot of right rear corner damage on the Jamboree Jeeps

Old 08-15-2002, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
I saw a lot of right rear corner damage on the Jamboree Jeeps

Not as much damage as occured to that one grand with no rocker protection. Did anyone get a picture of that? It was a sight to be seen.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:04 AM

Shalom,

Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see them, either email, or what ever!

The paint came off the rim with fingernail polish. Something new to raid the house for!

I bent up two body mounts really pretty good. I guess I'm a "real Jeeper" now, or, may bee not. Others can decide, or have decided.

It was a very beautiful trail. And I had fun.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by William
I bent up two body mounts really pretty good.
Welcome to the rocks William - if you are tagging the mounts, you know you are having a good time. You should see mine and Scotts' sometime
Old 08-16-2002, 09:40 AM

Body mounts: (N)

bent up pieces of metal that somehow have a bolt going through them to hold tub to frame.

I was told these where self clearence items.

Scott
Old 08-16-2002, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Shalom,

Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see them, either email, or what ever!

The paint came off the rim with fingernail polish. Something new to raid the house for!
Glad to hear that your rim has been returned to it's original and somewhat pristine condition.

I did take a bunch of pictures. About 75 or so. I'd say about half, maybe a little less are higher quality nature shots. Some of them came out very well. The rest are just lower quality shots I snapped off while driving. Most of them have my hood and frog eyes in them.

I'd be happy to put them on a CD for you. It's be easier than emailing any since I'm on dial up and it would take FOREVER.

PM or email me your address and I'll mail them to you. Anyone else that wants a copy of the pics let me know. I'll do the same for anyone interested.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Reggae

Cool

You can see the pictures my bro and I made:

Please Click Here
Old 08-16-2002, 09:26 PM

I got my pics back today - they are FILM - that old fashioned thing. I'll scan the good ones and post them next week.

I do have a very clear shot of the WEENIE rim from the truck stop - it is priceless.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2002, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
You can see the pictures my bro and I made:
Cool pictures, thank you for sharing. I liked the wheelie! I bet my eyes got as big as saucers when my Jeep lifted into the air
Old 08-16-2002, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I bent up two body mounts really pretty good. I guess I'm a "real Jeeper" now
And which part of the trail did that happen on? I checked all of my mounts and I didn't tag any of them. I did manage to hit the right rear corner, thank goodness for those Currie Tail Bones or I would have to put on rear corner panels.

Here is a picture of those braille plates that Blaine was kind enough to put on my Jeep for me before we left, I didn't hit them either.