Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 07-24-2002, 09:24 PM

Talking Sleeping with the enemy

This weekend I am going to participate in Rover Rendesvous up in Big Bear. As many of you know a good friend of mine drives a D90 and he asked me to come along. Many emails with the organizers later they are going to let me go, Jeep and all.

I am hoping for a better time than when I went out with Rovers last time at Rowher.

Anywho I 'll take some pictures and hopefully unstuck a bunch of noses out of the sky, and maybe even some members of the "Muddy Oval" I hope they like my bumper sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuckdisco.jpg (23.9 KB, 432 views)

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 07-24-2002, 09:39 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Sean,

Watch those guys, like a hawk!

We had one of them sneak into our group when we were at Moab and playing on Potato Salad Hill. After he got his Rover sideways on the hill, I winched him off (ever see someone try to climb that hill in street tires?)

Anyway, I almost had him winched to the top and the idiot gets on the gas and runs over my recovery equipment. He got the idea I was ****ed when I threw the controller on the ground and walked away.

Later, he came over to apologize. I had a quiet talke with him and explained that one should never run over the equipment of the kind Jeep owner that was nice enough to rescue one's a$$ from a hill climb on which one was never invitied to participate. I am not sure if he ever got the full meaning or not.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Reggae

Why is that jeep sideways on the trail?
Old 07-24-2002, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
BWAHAHAHAHAH
Old 07-24-2002, 10:26 PM

Quote:
First off Sergey - That is NOT a Jeep, that is a Discovery Series 2, with street tires, and a brush guard, and a roof rack for carrying the wildebeast home from the Safari

Now to your question.

He could not make it up that hill, no matter how hard he tried or how long he took, just couldn't do it. There is a little bump about 15 feet above him that he got a little crooked on, just a little. Well when they decided he wasn't going to make it they started to guide him down the hill, unfortunately he didn't understand the instructions from the spotter "straight back" which led to the comment from the spotter "not your straight my straight" That could possibly be the best thing I have ever heard from a spotter. Well dip**** got himself really sideways from not going straight, and was on the verge of rolling. He couldn't go forward or back because of the limitations of the trail, basically he Austin Power'd himself. They hooked up the winch to A) prevent him from going over and B) to straighten him out on the trail. Then the winching started, which pretty much involved them pulling until the guys brush guard smashed into the side of the hill and dented the driver's side. Oh yeah, that also snapped the wincher's front R&P and blew out his rear driveshaft because he didn't know to take it out of gear when winching. So he too had to be dragged down the hill.

Now that is one snippit of what happened that day with only about 30 LR's, I can't wait to get up there when there is supposed to be hundred's of them. On the Official website they state they had to change campsites this year because last years was too difficult to access for some of the vehicles.

This whole trip has been fun from the beginning and I'm not even there yet. They really freaked out when Jason signed me up with the Jeep. I got an accidental email from the organizer staing that they could just hide me in the back cuz they wanted my money, then followup apologies, then the Geez we can't wait to meet you, then the official welcome packet. One of the main sponsors is Jason's buddy who has been threatening to pull his sponsorship because of the way they have treated me. Ha, what a blast, and I haven't even done anything yet!

Anyway I am going to be the nicest Jeeper they have ever met, helpful, friendly, you know, completely opposite of reality. Then I'll start spreading disinformation, like winching with it in gear, stuff like that.

I hear the extreme run is the "No Whip" where you have to drive to the starbucks on Paine and get a Frappucino with no whipped cream! There is also the Von's Speedbump Challenge, that's only for the highly modifeid's though.

Old 07-25-2002, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Because it's NOT A JEEP!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 07:59 AM
Reggae

If it looks like a jeep, quacks like a jeep, and gets stuck like a jeep ? it's a jeep.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:29 AM

Quote:
If it looks like a jeep, quacks like a jeep, and gets stuck like a jeep ? it's a jeep.
That's a landrover. But hey, if you keep calling it a Jeep around my wife - she'll probably not want one, so keep it up!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Reggae

I wasn't referring to the brand of the vehicle; I was referring to the type. I could have said, "Why is that sport utility vehicle sideways on the trail?" I just prefer to use the term "jeep".

You know, as in the song "Hot Boyz" by MISSY 'MISSDEMEANOR' ELLIOTT:

Quote:
...Hot Boyz
Baby you got what I want
See cause y'all be drivin? Lexus jeeps
And the Benz jeeps, and the Lincoln jeeps
Nothin? cheaper
Got them Platinum Visa's
Hot Boyz
Baby you got what I want
See cause y'all be drivin? Jaguars
And the Bentleys and the Rolls Royce
Playing hardball with them Platinum Visas...
Old 07-25-2002, 11:14 AM

A Land Rover is a jeep but it ain't no Jeep!
A Jeep is not a Land Rover but a jeep could be a Land Rover.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:51 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Hot Boyz
Baby you got what I want
See cause y'all be drivin? Lexus jeeps
And the Benz jeeps, and the Lincoln jeeps
Nothin? cheaper
Got them Platinum Visa's
Hot Boyz
Baby you got what I want
See cause y'all be drivin? Jaguars
And the Bentleys and the Rolls Royce
Playing hardball with them Platinum Visas...

Either I'm getting old or that really sucks. I prefer to think that it just really sucks
Old 07-31-2002, 08:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to emills
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Either I'm getting old or that really sucks. I prefer to think that it just really sucks
Yes, that does really suck, but I don't see how that rules out your other option!

Eric
Old 07-31-2002, 02:37 PM

And this is why I had these stickers made up

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 07-31-2002, 06:35 PM

Well start passing them out. I gave all I had at Big Bear

BTW they sure didn't like the fact I had that sticker on the old Jeep. I told them they should get Jeep Recovery stickers made, after all it's just a joke. They take everything SOOOOOO seriously, it's not my fault they suck.

On a side note:

NOONE DRINKS MORE ON THE TRAIL THAN LAND ROVER OWNERS!

I have never been around a bigger bunch of drunks in my life, and that's counting my 8 years in the military. 9:30 am and they are half in the bag, 9:30 pm fully in the bag times 8. So much so that several had trouble reading their raffle tickets, and one actually shoved me trying to start something. He was ****ed I won a gerry can ( I so wanted the $2000 Land Rover specific roofrack so I could cut it up for skid plates)

The rovers did much better on the trail than I thought they would. Many of them made it up John Bull without incident, others with slight prodding and decent spotting. The HUMVEES were horrible, basically they just smash their way up the trail, finesse be damned.

Old 07-31-2002, 07:27 PM
AA reject

I passed a bunch of stockers going up dishpan. These guys had factory reps with their safari shorts and hats and all. I almost laid it on my side showing off. Just after this shot, I was spinning all 4 wheels and slipped to the drivers side in a hole and pulled the passenger front wheel a couple of feet off the ground. There were a few snide remarks about the line I took. Debra was spotting me, which she is very capable of. Later, I found out that one of them said to shut that bitch up. I wish I would have heard that. She could out spot any of those idjuts.

Old 07-31-2002, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HIGLET
Well start passing them out. I gave all I had at Big Bear

BTW they sure didn't like the fact I had that sticker on the old Jeep. I told them they should get Jeep Recovery stickers made, after all it's just a joke. They take everything SOOOOOO seriously, it's not my fault they suck.
Shoot me a email.. I have plenty of those stickers......

Jim

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 07-31-2002, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris L
[B] I almost laid it on my side showing off. Just after this shot, I was spinning all 4 wheels and slipped to the drivers side in a hole and pulled the passenger front wheel a couple of feet off the ground. There were a few snide remarks about the line I took.
I did the exact same thing at the entrance to JB. I got cocky and went too far left, slid off and of all things had to be yanked by a Rover. What screwed me (besides cockiness) was my spotter bailed. This guy had been spotting everyone into the entrance as I'm pulling up we make eye contact, I look out the door to see where my tire is, look back and he's gone. So I figure f him, I'll make this easy, then the unthinkable happens. I know a couple of pictures were taken but I can't find them on their websites.

Old 08-05-2002, 04:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to emdub Send a message via AIM to emdub Send a message via Yahoo to emdub
Cool

Funny how things are different here... (Portugal) Land Rovers are considered to be pure offroad machines that are ok in the city, and Jeeps are considered pure city machines that are NOT to be taken off road. I've been able to prove them wrong several times... but it ain't easy as there are only 2 of us and soon I'll be the only one (the other guy is selling his ZJ because he also has a D90 and wants to buy a Ram). I think I'm going to put one of those Land Rover Recovery Team on my Jeep... that'll get them going!

Out of curiosity: what type of engines do Land Rovers have there? Here ALL of them are Diesel engines. D90's, D110's and Discovery all have the same basic engine.

And the lord said to me "You are taking a bad path", and I answered "Don't worry, I've got a Jeep".
Old 08-05-2002, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I know a couple of pictures were taken but I can't find them on their websites.
So 35's and a flat skid wouldn't have done any good because thier the same, right?
Old 08-05-2002, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by emdub

Out of curiosity: what type of engines do Land Rovers have there? Here ALL of them are Diesel engines. D90's, D110's and Discovery all have the same basic engine.
Almost all the Rovers here have their anemic V8 - a good friend has a series I Disco and it is one of the most gutless machines I've been in.

I think the Rovers are a fine machine - they have the same basic suspension as a Grand Cherokee, but they are damn expensive to lift and put big tires on.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2002, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle

Almost all the Rovers here have their anemic V8 - a good friend has a series I Disco and it is one of the most gutless machines I've been in.

I think the Rovers are a fine machine - they have the same basic suspension as a Grand Cherokee, but they are damn expensive to lift and put big tires on.

Jeff
I think they have a long arm and 4 link rear set up. I'm not sure.

Hey Sean, I want to thank you.
You know, I used to feel silly about being yanked out by a liberty. But, really, I'd take a liberty to a land rover any day!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by William

So 35's and a flat skid wouldn't have done any good because thier the same, right?
I'm not the one always quoting "they'll get you over a rock that's this much bigger" you are. This rock was way bigger than the 1" tire gain. Secondly it wasn't the flat skid holding me up, I was on the driveshaft/pinion. Thirdly you would have been just as stuck, if not more so, just cus you're you and that's what happens, no matter how big the tires, how flat the skid, or ssst ssst the air spools, I mean ARB's.

I got stuck cus I got cocky with what I had, if I had a bigger Jeep I would have been stuck better.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by William

Hey Sean, I want to thank you.
You know, I used to feel silly about being yanked out by a liberty. But, really, I'd take a liberty to a land rover any day!!!
You should feel silly, you were yanked out of a wash that had a road that you were on and STILL needed assistance to get out. The liberty made it through, yet you couldn't.

Good thing you got those all those mods, it'll help you through those tough stretches like roads.

Have fun at the Rubicon, I'm sure many will yank you off many things. You should prolly just sit there though till the rescue Liberty comes for you.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:50 PM

Naw, William won't have any problems 'cause he knows the front tires go where you point them and the back tires go where the Jeep is pointing. Isn't that right William?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:44 PM

Quote:

You should feel silly, you were yanked out of a wash that had a road that you were on and STILL needed assistance to get out. The liberty made it through, yet you couldn't.

Good thing you got those all those mods, it'll help you through those tough stretches like roads.

Have fun at the Rubicon, I'm sure many will yank you off many things. You should prolly just sit there though till the rescue Liberty comes for you.
Actually, I was 3 feet left of his line. And.. you went to try my line and missed it by 1 foot. So we'd never know if you'd make it or not.

Next time we're out there, we can play "don't follow me".. And see who gets the strap more if you like

It's not the roads that get me in trouble, it's the bordum of some of the lines the person in front was taking that led me to wander and..

You know, try HARD stuff.. :P :P !

And, just as note: At big bear the Yanking score was

Sean: 1
William: 0

And if you can't my previous wheeling trip to that, and your last one it was:

:P

And, there is always Heart Attack Hill to climb!
Old 08-06-2002, 02:46 PM

Quote:
This rock was way bigger than the 1" tire gain.
Really? hmm.. Who runs 34's?
Old 08-06-2002, 03:19 PM

33/2=16.5
35/2=17.5

Quote:
Originally posted by Wumpy

Really? hmm.. Who runs 34's?

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 08-06-2002, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wumpy

Actually, I was 3 feet left of his line. And.. you went to try my line and missed it by 1 foot. So we'd never know if you'd make it or not.

Next time we're out there, we can play "don't follow me".. And see who gets the strap more if you like

It's not the roads that get me in trouble, it's the bordum of some of the lines the person in front was taking that led me to wander and..

You know, try HARD stuff.. :P :P !

And, just as note: At big bear the Yanking score was

And if you can't my previous wheeling trip to that, and your last one it was:

:P

And, there is always Heart Attack Hill to climb!
You know what dude it's obvious that you are just too good for us now. Which probably explains your early departure that weekend. Hope you had a great time, or didn't, it doesn't really matter to me. See ya.

Old 08-06-2002, 05:02 PM

Quote:
You know what dude it's obvious that you are just too good for us now. Which probably explains your early departure that weekend. Hope you had a great time, or didn't, it doesn't really matter to me. See ya.
Sean,

I hope you're not serious about this at all. A little ribbing between us is not all that big a deal, is it? In fact, it's one of our campfire past times. Soo, you're either kidding, which I'm not sure, or your taking it way to serious.

You got yanked by a Rover for doing something stupid, I got yanked by a liberty for doing something stupid.

We did something stupid, and we got yanked. No big deal.

What's so different between us?

You've even got a couple of pot shots on your web page at me..

And I don't mind about that...

I hope your just messing around, because, after, what, a year and a half of wheeling, camping, cold ones at the camp fire, a few times where you saved my ass from certain disaster, it'd be a shame to put it to rest over some simple internet messing around...

Call me, or I'll call you or sumtinuder.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:57 PM

You are right, my bad. Now that I re read everything there are damn smileys all over the place. I'm such an ass.

Not enough sleep, not enough food made me delirious. I don't know what I was thinking. I thought you were baiting me for your own evil purposes, and god knows why. I did just have a dream (I'm getting about 2 hours a sleep a night, so I was napping) that the Pennsylvania Dutch stole all my tires under your direction. I'm not making that up, I really just had that dream. Sorry buddy.

All's well.

I'm off to the airport to pick up Mama.