Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-19-2002, 09:27 PM
Reggae

Question Drywall Questions

How do you screw things onto drywall? I am hanging some stuff in the bathroom. I borrowed one of those stud sensors, found a vertical, and mounted the paper towel dispenser with drywall screws; that vent very well (for one row of screws, anyway). However, there are no conveniently located studs behind the drywall to mount a towel rack, TP dispenser, etc. Is there a good way to mount those without a stud under drywall?

Also, I screwed a board with hangers onto the door with a couple of coarse drywall screws. Somehow I was under impression that doors are solid pressed board, however, I was wrong, the door is hollow inside. I am not sure that the screws will hold. Is there a way to do it right? (I know: there are racks available that clip on top of the door, but are there other ways? Liquid nails in addition to screws maybe?)
Old 09-19-2002, 11:02 PM

you'll need drywall anchors.

here's a decent little page with a few different types of anchors and how they are used:

http://doityourself.com/wall/installwallanchors.htm

the anchors themselves are available at any semi-decent (or better) hardware store
Old 09-20-2002, 04:28 PM

The only thing I've ever seen really hold in well drywall are toggle-bolt anchors. These are the kind that have two spring-loaded "wings" that close to go through a hole, then spring open once all the way through the hole. Once the spring-loaded wings have flipped opened behind the drywall, the screw is tightened which pulls the wings into the drywall. The screw is passed through the item you're securing first, then into the toggle bolt before it is inserted into the wall.

I've had nothing but frustration with most of the other types of drywall "anchors" they sell, especially those cheap plastic inserts. Those plastic inserts work ok sometimes for holding things that aren't jostled, but they pull out when used for tp-holders, towel holders, etc... anything that gets pushed or pulled on.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:51 PM

check out home depot, or orchard supply. You will find tons of diffrent items to mount diffrent things to walls, doors...ect

Jim

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 09-22-2002, 09:35 AM
AA reject

Sergey--
Get some of these anchors from home depot. Mark where you want the anchor, and just use a cordless screwstik to drive the white anchor in flush with the wall, then follow with the screw in the middle. They are rated at 30 lbs.

As for hanging stuff on the door, the centers are generally hollow core. If you try mounting more towards the top of the door, the first 4" or so should be solid.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I bought, some of those fasteners as on the Chris' picture. At first I was breaking them, and making the wall look terrible. Then I started to predrill the wall, before screwing the plastic parts in; that worked like a charm. Weird ? the instructions, did not say anything about drilling, nether did Chris. Perhaps, I wrongly identified the wall type ? it is made out of white stuff (gypsum?)

Anyways. With predrilled holes, those suckers hold things in nicely. I am done practicing on TP dispensers and towel racks, I'll be hanging a mirror next.