Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 AM

learning

well im wondering about lockers. Are the autos the way to go or are the electric / air lockers the nway to go?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM

If I had an unlimited budget, I would go for ARB air lockers in a heartbeat. That said, I've been running automatic lockers front (No-Slip) and rear (Detroit Locker) for years without any problems from either of them. What type of wheeling are you doing? What axles do you have and what size tires do you run? What type of Jeep too.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Another question is is this for a daily driver? I wouldn't want to drive an auto locker on snow and ice.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Auto lockers are not a problem on snow or ice if you drive the Jeep like a Jeep and not a Mustang. All I have ever had were auto lockers and go to the snow for skiing all the time. Never a problem.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM

I disagree. An auto locker will never be as stable as an open diff on ice or snow. I totaled my ZJ last spring on snow in part because of the limited slip in the rear. I wasn't giving it any gas and it decided to swap ends on me. Zero time to react to correct it. It was probably a fluke, never happened to me before in the eight years of owning it, but it only takes one time happening to either kill yourself or someone else, let alone totaling the vehicle.

Since the OP is in Iowa where the roads can be frozen for months at a time, he needs to be aware of the drawbacks of driving an auto locker on ice and snow.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Obviously it depends on your budget. However, for as well as they work, I think ARBs are a pretty good deal, even if they are more expensive than a Detroit, for example.

Press a button and they are locked. Press a button and they are unlocked.

Simple. They pretty much always work, assuming a decent install job and you haven't done anything silly like run your airlines next to your exhaust or something like that.

Turn them on at the start of a trial. Turn them off to drive home. No worrisome driving in snow or ice. No fighting the locker on off camber, slippery trail situations where you have rocks or obstacles on the low side of the trail.

Those are just a couple of situations where having the ability to turn off a locker is nice.

Plus, you get a really cool looking row of switches to mount on your dash somewhere if you go the ARB route. That's cache, baby.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Ok so im convinced I need to work opertime and get ARb's I drive truck for a living so I know how locked can be just never took my thought process to that level. Yes the jeep is a daily driver its an 89 YJ im learning things about it like the rears arent going to take lockers but thhe fronts will so there is a DANA swap int the future unless there is a alternative route? Im so nbew I dont do a lot of wheeling so to speak with others but want to ( IOWA ) I do wheel alone at the local gravel pits with a few others I have 31" MT's on it now. THANKS
Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM

I'm assuming you are talking about the D35 rear axle. A popular swap is the Ford Explorer 8.8. Strong enough to take you to 35s, which is probably the limit of the front D30 axle.