Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM

Pulse TIG

For those of you that TIG weld, I'm gonna pass along my experiences wirh Pulse TIG.

I'll keep it short and sweet.

If you don't have it, you have NO IDEA what you are missing.

If you are considering a TIG purchase, by all means, if you can afford a machine that pulses, then do everything you can to acquire it.

Our Dynasty 700 pulses. Now that we've got the feel of it, we NEVER disable the pulse controller.

It is the cat's ass.
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Allen,
Glad you posted this. I added the pulse module to my 250DX last month and have been very pleased with the results.

I primarily bought the pulse for thin-wall chromolly (.6mm) hoping it will help with overheating the weld. I have not yet used it for that, but have been very happy with the pulse on all other material, mostly just for consistent timing and heat.

The part that has been bugging me is that there is very little documentation on pulse settings.

For general screwing around with the pulser I have been setting my amps about double the 1 amp per .001 rule, 50% peak time and 50% background, ~2 Hz then tweaking from there. I realize that I am just barely tapping the pulse benefits.

Do you have any advice for pulse settings, specifically thin wall tubing? Or, do you know of any sources for info on pulser settings?

Matt
Old 02-01-2009, 05:46 AM

Matt,

Sorry it took me a day or so to get back to you. I worked 70+ hours this week.....

You are discovering exactly what I did, that there are NO references for pulse set up or parameters. It's all personal preference and voodoo.

I haven't welded a lot of thin steel with our Dynasty. To be honest, I struggle with thin steel and need to work at it before I'm happy with my beads. However, our new welder, Chris, has had some outstanding results on thin steel. I'll see how he sets it up.

He struggles with aluminum, and me with thin steel, so we cancel each other out. I can however weld thin stainless with great results. Go figure.

I honestly don't know a lot about your machine, so forgive me if I advise something that isn't applicable.

This is how I run aluminum from 1/16 to 1/4".

300 amps. The Dynasty does a MUCH better job modulating the amperage through the remote than any other transformer based machine I've used. Don't know why, it just does.

Normally we run our machine at 180 hertz. It took us a while to finally settle on this number. For us it seems to be a good all around frequency.

Balance is usually 60-70 percent, depending upon need. I'm anal about grainy looking beads, and I am more than happy to deal with excessive cleaning action.

My pulse setting vary from 6 pluses a second to 60. I haven't yet found a need for anything higher. Maybe when I weld up some more drink cans I can approach the 4000 PPS it's capable of.

I will have to double check, but I believe my Peak t is set to 70%, and background a at 60%. Higher than recommended, but it works well for me.

These settings also allow me to maintain a pointed tungsten on aluminum, which is huge. No more wandering or fluttering arc around the ball. Point the heat and go. Corners are now easy.

Good luck with it, and if I can help, just ask. I'm still learning myself.....

PS-We're using the sine wave to appease the old guy that welds with us. It mimmicks a transformer based machine. For the record, he HATES the Dynasty. Old dog.....
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the input Allen.

Odd that a feature as usefull as a pulser isnt well documented. When you get a chance read through this-http://www.groupsrv.com/science/about378817.html
Its the best discussion of pulser (and sequencer) i've found so far.

My 250DX is one of Miller's newer transformer based machines. In my hands the only difference I can tell from an inverter machine is that my max pulse rate is 10 pps.

Is your weld technique different when using the pulser?

I've tried using a low pulse rate (1-1.5pps) and add filler every pulse and I've also tried a high pulse rate (8-10pps) and add filler with constant pressure. The latter technique gives me trouble with inconsistent filler flow.