Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:35 AM

Kat,

THanks for taking care of the weather for me. Mid 80's durring the day looks great! I really appreciate that. I mean leving the thermostat at 100 would have been rude. What's with the rain? I thought JV was in a desert?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
as the event grows nearer... what time are you hitting the trail Saturday morning and are the any open seats remaining?
It looks like I'll be solo. As for time and trail, I have no idea what the plan is.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:45 AM

JV is located in the monsoon track that comes up from the Gulf of Mexico, similar to Tucson. Rain there is our friend - it really cleans up the tails and both moves and re-exposes the rocks. The best time I had out there was in October 2 years ago - some of the trails had no tire tracks when we got to them which really made them a pleasure to drive. Nothing worse than trying to negotiate a chuckhole at the bottom of an obstacle left by some idiot with 38" Swampers, a gas pedal and no sense
Old 09-25-2003, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Nothing worse than trying to negotiate a chuckhole at the bottom of an obstacle left by some idiot with 38" Swampers, a gas pedal and no sense
Old 09-25-2003, 01:10 PM

Where I wheel the rule is to leave it like you found it. If there are stacked rocks when you get there and you move them, put them back once you and your party are clear. If there's a hole that you fill in, better empty it out again when you leave. It's just common courtesy. Now, people here are guilty of the same things so I can't call foul on the whole left coast, but man, inconsiderate people really irk me. Nothing worse than somebody that only cares about themselves. (Allen is the exception, we all know it's only about him)
Old 09-25-2003, 02:10 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
It looks like I'll be solo. As for time and trail, I have no idea what the plan is.
Cool Jeff, it'll be good to finally meet ya.

I'm gonna shoot for being at the campsite by 8am. Maybe enjoy a cup of Blaine's coffee.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
Cool Jeff, it'll be good to finally meet ya.

I'm gonna shoot for being at the campsite by 8am. Maybe enjoy a cup of Blaine's coffee.
We usually leave for the trail at 8 am, if you show up at 8 you will be late and all of the coffee will be gone and the camp site will be empty The sunrise's between 6:30 & 7:00, that gives us a good hour to have our coffee and pack our lunch for the trail, air down the tires and get the camera ready.

OK, everyone. I would appreciate it if you would not park behind our truck and trailer, or stand behind it in the morning, I'm a bit shy getting dressed and I get cranky if people wander into my privacy zone before I've had my coffee.

Thank you,
Kat
Old 09-26-2003, 01:06 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
We usually leave for the trail at 8 am, if you show up at 8 you will be late and all of the coffee will be gone and the camp site will be empty The sunrise's between 6:30 & 7:00, that gives us a good hour to have our coffee and pack our lunch for the trail, air down the tires and get the camera ready.

OK, everyone. I would appreciate it if you would not park behind our truck and trailer, or stand behind it in the morning, I'm a bit shy getting dressed and I get cranky if people wander into my privacy zone before I've had my coffee.

Thank you,
Kat
shesh... even the rocks are still asleep. That means I gotta hit the road at 5am. I guess there'll be time to sleep when I'm dead. I think I might have to make that 2 cups of coffee.

lookin' forward to it.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:21 AM

So is this a Friday/Saturday run or a Satruday/Sunday thing? I am hoping for the latter.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:51 AM

If the stars are aligned I'll be out there for Friday. Most likely, I won't be able to get out the office 'til Friday afternoon and do the Saturday run.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
So is this a Friday/Saturday run or a Satruday/Sunday thing? I am hoping for the latter.
We're leaving Thursday evening/late afternoon. Sergey is expecting to arrange things so we can wheel some of the easier stuff on Friday and intermediate to hard on Sat with maybe a cruiser early Sun morning if we have enough energy left.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:45 PM

Glad I asked. I'll have to put in for time off so I don't have to try and call in sick to work from the lakebed Friday morning
Old 09-29-2003, 12:08 PM

Well,
I got the ok on taking Friday off this morning so now all I have to do is figure out how to get my daughter to school Friday morning. Most likely though, I will have to drive out am Friday after I drop her off at 7. I figure that I will be 2 hours to the lake bed so if folks can hold off until 9 to leave for the trails, it would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Nothing worse than somebody that only cares about themselves. (Allen is the exception, we all know it's only about him)

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 09-29-2003, 01:26 PM

I'm trying to set the wheels in motion to be out there for Friday too.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:50 PM

Great! I'm glad a few of you can make it, at least everyone's Jeep isn't busted.

Looking forward to Thursday. It's gonna be a long day for me (27 hours), but at least I won't be here at work.

I'm ready to go!
Old 10-01-2003, 05:13 AM

I'll be packing tonight. I've been given some advice on what to bring, but wanted to check the weather one last time before things go into the bags. What do I use as a location to check the forecast?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:33 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Kat sent me this link a few weeks back, has weather info on the bottom:

http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=1236
Old 10-01-2003, 09:17 AM

Just look up Yucca Valley CA - the weather between there and JV won't be much different if at all. See Ya Friday morning Jim.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Reggae

A number of things are holding me up in San Diego until 2:30 PM Friday. My brother and I are taking off straight to the lakebed after that.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:04 PM

I too am stuck here at the office and won't get out of the valley until early afternoon on Friday and will probably be rolling in about the same time as Sergey.

I'll bring some wood and my readywelder.

Can't wait!
Old 10-05-2003, 04:49 PM

Glad you brought that ReadyWelder, huh Jeff?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Jim, just where exactly are you posting from? You have Internet access on the plane?

It was very nice to meet you. Please come again.

My brother and I didn't make it to the Friday run, but the Saturday was very enjoyable.

Brian posted a link to some pictures in this thread:
http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...&threadid=5379

Breakage on my jeep was minimal. A torn valve steam. I had to run my good set of rims, while the other set is out getting beadlocked. Well, the good set is not good anymore. One of the wheels is missing a chunk. Got the fender once more. And the main seal on the rear axle is leaking again. Overall, very minor damage.

Robert broke the bell housing, because of the Terra oil pan skid plate. He also destroyed one tire, which was successfully patched good enough to take the jeep through the rest of Outer Limits with substance called "Grip Tonight", and put a dent on the hood. Jeff tore the trackbar bracket.

My jeep seems to stick to the line much better now, after we tinkered with the suspension. So that's good. I almost rolled it after I drove a wrong way through a section of the trail.

My condominium-sized tent was put to shame by Kat, who brought an installation big enough to house a community center, with swimming pool, basketball court and skating ring included.

On Saturday night we made Jim buy us dinner at the Rib Company. It was very nice. Appetizers included Mushrooms, Chicken Somethings, Buffalo Wings, Onion Rings, and Jalapeno Poppers. I had a pound of T-bone stake, with dinner salad, and stuffed potato, and a quarter of Apple Pie for desert.

I rode to town with Garry in his Hyundai. On the way back to camp I was on the back seat of the Land Rover Jim rented with Michael Schumacher behind the wheel. That was fun.

The weather was just wonderful.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject

Robert broke the bell housing, because of the Terra oil pan skid plate. He also destroyed one tire, which was successfully patched good enough to take the jeep through the rest of Outer Limits with substance called "Grip Tonight", and put a dent on the hood.
What happened with the skid? Did Robert catch the leading edge of it and try to peal it backwards?
Old 10-05-2003, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
...with Michael Schumacher behind the wheel...
A trip to Johnson Valley--~$1200
Dinner at the Rib Co.--~225
Watching Blaine discover that Land Rover ABS does NOT stop on the sand in JV--absolutely, without a doubt,...priceless.

Stu, Robert gets to tell his own tales about his weekend. He has at least three stories to tell.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
A trip to Johnson Valley--~$1200
Dinner at the Rib Co.--~225
Watching Blaine discover that Land Rover ABS does NOT stop on the sand in JV--absolutely, without a doubt,...priceless.

Stu, Robert gets to tell his own tales about his weekend. He has at least three stories to tell.
First we had Lucas- Prince of Darkness and now we have Britain's answer to the luge. Possibly the worst sensation in the world is to stab at the brakes at 40 to slow down to a 20 mile an hour turn and have the Disco do it's impression of sled on ice when the pedal went all the way to the floor.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:47 PM
ghall

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
First we had Lucas- Prince of Darkness and now we have Britain's answer to the luge. Possibly the worst sensation in the world is to stab at the brakes at 40 to slow down to a 20 mile an hour turn and have the Disco do it's impression of sled on ice when the pedal went all the way to the floor.
It's not a British thing, Robert had the same dilemma on the same stretch driving the Hyundai. Sadly anti-lock is the auto industries lame answer to dealing with the lowest possible common (denometer)?
Garry
Old 10-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ghall
It's not a British thing, Robert had the same dilemma on the same stretch driving the Hyundai. Sadly anti-lock is the auto industries lame answer to dealing with the lowest possible common (denometer)?
Garry
Right about the time I considered taking out the shrubbery instead of holding the line through the turn, my brain remembered that Jim had denied the LDW at the rental counter and he might have been liable for the the pinstriping.

I looked at the skid marks in the sand on the way out this morning and they were pretty impressive.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:00 PM
ghall

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

I looked at the skid marks in the sand on the way out this morning and they were pretty impressive.
Ya, I saw the same marks on the way out last night and smiled cus someone defiantly was having allot of fun.
Garry
Old 10-06-2003, 08:42 AM

Glad you guys had a great time. Sorry I missed all the fun. Jim - I look forward to meeting you next time you come out!

Jeff