Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Can I buy a clue?

Advance Air powertank or York OBA??

maybe not sooo much a tech ? but more of an opinion. What would you all recommend getting: the York OBA or the Powertank Advanced air system. Im leaning on the Powertank because of the small size and less annoying compressor sound. Any or all input would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:32 PM

Less annoying compressor sound? Heck, I like the sound of my York cycling off and on as I use it!

I've had my York OBA on my Jeep for around five years now and it's never given me a bit of problem, it just keeps on running and working great. Never having to worry about how much c02 is in the tank and being able to fill as many friend's tires as necessary without running out of c02 is sweet too.

To me, it was more than worth the time I spent installing it. Especially since I don't have to remember to fill it and it's never back in my garage when I need air!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Can I buy a clue?

jerry, good point made. As i was typin before, i forgot that the powertank runs of Co2. Im just gonna bug you one more time with a ?. Do you have any real maintenance problems?
Old 07-23-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by H8PVMNT00
Do you have any real maintenance problems?
Literally zip, nada, zero.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:24 PM

Stirring the pot on JeepBBS... this should be interesting.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

[intercom] Paging Robert [/intercom] I can't remember if the OBA sucks or blows.

I've got OBA with a Sanden compressor and you can barely hear it cycle on and off. If you go this route, you'll need to spend some bucks on the hoses, fittings and filters or you'll pay the price. That said, my $70 coalescing filter (Wilkerson) and $60 oiler (Speedaire) have given me fits.

When the oiler broke I ditched it and instead pour a small amount of Duralube in it before each trip. My first problem with the filter was the draincock breaking. I plugged it with JB weld which necessitated removing the bowl to drain the oil. After several times of doing this, the o-ring swelled to the point of not allowing the bowl to go back in. As luck would have it, Blaine was there to witness it. I was lucky that he was able to repair the o-ring with a razor and some griptonite but also un-lucky that he is now armed with this tidbit of information. If I were to wholly praise the OBA without mentioning this, I'm sure he'd pounce on it. While I could've pulled the filter out of the system and bypassed it and still wheeled that day, it was a drag.

So, while I like my OBA and have no plans to change at this point, you'll get into a CO2 system a lot cheaper up front without the installation work as well. As for forgetting the CO2 in your garage when you go wheeling, tie a string around your finger as a reminder.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Can I buy a clue?

haah thanks Jeff. SOunds like you've had some ugly experiences to say the least!
Old 07-24-2004, 08:30 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i used my york for about a year, and it finally quit.
i really totrured this thing though. i idle it to about 2000 rpm's, and use it for various air tools. i think what killed it was running a cutoff wheel on a die grinder for long periods of time at the rubicon.
i have aired up everyones jeep at the end of each run for a long time, and even used it in my garage because it is faster than my shop compressor.
i really have nothing bad to say about this thing.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 07-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by H8PVMNT00
haah thanks Jeff. SOunds like you've had some ugly experiences to say the least!
Not ugly, just embarassing. Actually, the system has worked perfectly for me other than what I listed.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:05 AM

I'm a big believer in "simpler is better." That being said; I went with a 10# Co2 system. Desert racers seem to prefer it as well.
I just had my tank refilled at the local fire safety house. The attendant mentioned that he could put together a 10# system for $140.00 without the coiled hose. That price included the nice bracket to mount in your Jeep. Places that service fire extinguishers offer refurbished tanks fairly cheap. A high flow regulator from "The Source" is $35.00. The Power Tank is overpriced in my opinion. Check out these guys:
www.offroadair.net
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 07-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
That price included the nice bracket to mount in your Jeep. ]
Shoot me a PM and let me know where this place is....I'm looking for a reasonably priced bracket.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Croaker
Stirring the pot on JeepBBS... this should be interesting.
LOL,
I was out of town