Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-30-2005, 02:26 AM

Lightbulb Home built tire carrier?

The O-R fab has got to go. A gentleman on the recent trip to Moab showed me early signs where it is starting to take its toll on the tub. The new swing away portion needs to be able to support approximately 200lbs. (Tire, highlift, 2 jerry cans)

I already have a very sturdy 2"X5"x1/4" thick homemade rear bumper. A few questions.

Where would one find a greaseable pivot point I would assume like a small front wheel spindle?

What size and thickness should the swing away carrier be made of?

Any suggestion on how to secure it? what kind of latch should I use?

Any ideas, sketchs, drawings etc would be greatly appreciated. My fabricating skills are limited but I am going to give this a try considering I already have a strong rear bumper and given the cost of a bulletproof for example.. Chuck
Old 06-30-2005, 06:27 AM
dennisuello

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm
Old 06-30-2005, 06:33 AM

I was aware of the Rockstomper offerings, but opted to get a trailer spindle, with bearings and races from a local trailer / parts place. My buddy copied my design, but opted to use a hub and cut away the wheel flange portion leaving just the center section with the bearing equipment.

Lots of latches exist, but I used one from a pickup tailgate obtained from a junkyard (both latch and nader pin).
Old 08-01-2005, 08:45 PM

home made tire carrier

I went to a steel yard that also stocks parts to make gates and doors. I bought 2 300lbs ball bearing hinges for $25.00, and made my own tire carrier.