Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Advice needed for friends TJ build

I have a friend who is ready to build up his 05 Rubi. I would love to hear some opinions and share with him the results of this post so he can spend his money and stop thinking about it.

The Jeep will be used on the street as a daily driver. It may see light trail use, but it will likely be quite infrequent and likely only bad fire road type of trails. He wants to set it up around 33's. Comfortable ride is important as his wife will use it often. He is open to any suspension configuration (long or short arms, 3,4,or 5 links, etc.) He is willing to cut and weld, but that skill would have to be bought so it is a second choice over bolt ons. He already has a 1.25 body lift in place. A flat skid would be nice as well.

I suggested 2.5 OME coils, JKS ACOS all around, OME shocks, and good adjustable links all around (control arms and track bars). Money can then be spent on upgraded brakes which he will need, even though he doesn't know it yet.

So what would you do for this TJ? My knowledge of currently available parts is lacking so please help me to help him.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
The Jeep will be used on the street as a daily driver. It may see light trail use, but it will likely be quite infrequent and likely only bad fire road type of trails.
Based on that comment, I would leave it stock.

If he wants a built Jeep, maybe we could work out some sort of trade.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I suggested 2.5 OME coils, JKS ACOS all around, OME shocks, and good adjustable links all around (control arms and track bars). Money can then be spent on upgraded brakes which he will need, even though he doesn't know it yet.
I miss the way my Jeep drove with the OME lift. If I were to build one as a daily driver, I would do an OME lift, 1.25" body lift, flat skid, and 33's. Not sure what brand arms I'd use, though - I like the durability of the Curries, but I don't know if the rubber bushings in something like the JKS arms would offer any benefit for a daily driver.

Heck, since I don't wheel much any more, I'm half tempted to put the Jeep back to that combo right now....

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkTJ View Post
Based on that comment, I would leave it stock.

If he wants a built Jeep, maybe we could work out some sort of trade.
I've had this discussion with him for about ten years since he built his first 97 TJ with Tera parts. He wants the Jeep to look more "aggressive". I've gotten past his lack of off road use and just accept it. If he wasn't a friend I would razz him more, but I understand his motives now. At least he doesn't want to but huge 22 inch rims and rubber band tires on it. At least he wants the right parts to make it off road capable.

Thanks for your thoughts Dan. Anyone else care to comment?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I've had this discussion with him for about ten years since he built his first 97 TJ with Tera parts. He wants the Jeep to look more "aggressive". I've gotten past his lack of off road use and just accept it. If he wasn't a friend I would razz him more, but I understand his motives now. At least he doesn't want to but huge 22 inch rims and rubber band tires on it. At least he wants the right parts to make it off road capable.

Thanks for your thoughts Dan. Anyone else care to comment?
Does he like the way it rides now?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Smile

An '05 Rubicon is a very capable off road machine in its stock condition. And, if he seldom goes off road, it will more than meet his needs. Plus, adding bigger tires and a lift to his daily driver will affect his mileage, and not in a good way. My vote would be for him to leave it stock and take pride in what he's got - the best stock 4X4 on, and off, the road.

Fred
Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 AM

Yes Blaine, he likes the way the Rubi rides stock.

I get it about not modifying it. What can I say, he wants a Barbie Jeep. I can;t talk him into taking it off of asphalt, nor can I convince him that he should leave it stock. Bearing those things in mind, I'm trying to get him the best ride possible with the ability to try and follow me from time to time.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Yes Blaine, he likes the way the Rubi rides stock.

I get it about not modifying it. What can I say, he wants a Barbie Jeep. I can;t talk him into taking it off of asphalt, nor can I convince him that he should leave it stock. Bearing those things in mind, I'm trying to get him the best ride possible with the ability to try and follow me from time to time.
If he likes stock ride, then toss on a budget boost, bumpstop it for the 33's, and get some longer shocks.

Simple, effective, and cheap.

Stay away from the ACOS if possible. It has a minimum height built in at it's lowest setting that makes them difficult to use. If you aren't going to crank them up, they become a very expensive budget boost.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Jim,

I haven’t run the OME personally so I can’t comment, but it seems that those who have tried them have been happy with their performance.

As far as the ACOS, they are cool in theory, but not very practical. On my rig, I had them at the lowest setting and I never used the adjustment as they already give you 1.25 to 1.5” of lift at a minimum if I remember well. Also, to adjust them you have to unload the suspension which is a PITA, and keep in mind that you have to weld them if used in the rear. The only benefit to them is if you need a different adjustment side to side to level the rig, other than that poly spacers do the same job at a fraction of the cost (you could also cut them to fit if different height is needed).

Given your friend’s situation, he doesn’t need to go all out to make it “more aggressive” looking, a BB is plenty enough. He might not even need that much since he already has a 1.25" BL. Good shocks will go a long way, and I have been very happy with the new Rancho 9000XL and the in-cab controller. I can “tune” the ride on the fly depending on road conditions, which is very handy. The shocks cost me $82/each and the controller $135.

Now, your friend has money left over to save or to spend on other totally unnecessary goodies he might want.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, I sincerely appreciate the input. I will pass along the wisdom and see what he does with it.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:15 PM

For a mostly street driven, but still 'slightly bigger than stock Jeep', the ideal combo for me would be the 2" budget boost, 1" bodylift (or 1.25" which he has already), slap some 33s on there and you're good to go (assuming the gearing can handle it, which with 4.10s shouldn't be a problem. Is it a stick or an auto?).
A flat skid is nice, but it depends on the angles whether or not he would need some adjustable arms (is it a regular size TJ or a LJ?), but if it's just fire roads and no major obstacles it ain't even needed ...
Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM

He definitely wants a belly skid. Anyone have feedback on that issue?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
He definitely wants a belly skid. Anyone have feedback on that issue?
Not too sure Jim, but that 4-1 t-case is pretty hard to get a flat to the frame skid under.

I know where there is a Rubicon compatible Jeep Medic skid for sale, but I don't know much else.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM

Just have your buddy do a straight trade with sergey.

You can tell him his new to him TJ will come with all the baddest options, like pre installed rock rash and two tone offroad racing white paint.

Just tell him to think how good he'll look rolling down the street!