Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-10-2003, 07:32 AM

Great Camping Stove!

I used one of these on our trip to Colorado and loved it. Instantly BBQ in high altitudes without messing with charcoal or waiting for your fire to produce coals. This is the neatest stove I've ever had and I've had a few. It's also small enough for Jeep camping.
It comes with a griddle to put on the grill (not shown).
$70 or so at Wallmart
I call it the Garry Rubicon stove......
Old 08-10-2003, 10:12 AM

Smile Re: Great Camping Stove!

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON

I used one of these on our trip to Colorado and loved it. Instantly BBQ in high altitudes without messing with charcoal or waiting for your fire to produce coals.
what happened to good ole fashioned wood fire and bbq'ing
Normally we have a campfire going at night t ocook things, but for those times that a campfire is not such a good idea (firehazard) or wood is scarce they do come in handy

Does that mean that next year in Moab you'll be cooking diner then?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:22 PM

There just ain't much better than good camp fire coals. But good coals take time to produce and sometimes the time is just not there, not to mention a possible lack of fire wood. Or rain.
April's specilty in Moab has become night time breakfast.
Stop by next April.
Do you plan on coming to Moab in the spring?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:39 PM

Ron, you've officially been invited in this thread during Labor Day weekend. Not sure if I'll make this one, but it's in the works.
http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...&threadid=4675

BTW, cool stove/grill combo!
Old 08-10-2003, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Stop by next April.
Do you plan on coming to Moab in the spring?
you can bet on it
Had lots of fun with you guys
Old 08-12-2003, 06:02 AM

Hey, I've got one just like that in my garage, but never used it!

Glad to know it's cool, I should probably start taking it with me!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:49 AM

The main reason I like it is because I spend lots of time camping at 6,000+ feet in Nevada, Utah, Colorado and even the Rubicon. Charcoal will burn at altitudes but it rarely puts out enough heat to cook proper. In the summer I can burn lots of wood for dinner coals and then not have enough for the night time fire that's so cozy. If I wait until dark to eat I usually eat junk and then run out of energy the next day. Us middle aged guys need our energy to keep up with the snot nosed kids.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Banned

Re: Great Camping Stove!

Quote:

I used one of these on our trip to Colorado and loved it.
Ron, sorry I messed up your brand new stove . Hope April got it all clean up.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Great Camping Stove!

Quote:
Originally posted by underDAWG
Ron, sorry I messed up your brand new stove . Hope April got it all clean up.
Yeah right, like April cleans up my gear.

Actually it cleaned up fairly easy. The pork you cooked was well worth it, as usual! You can cook on my stove any time as long as you feed me!
I really miss that camping spot. We ended up 11 days there. Never fired up the generator. My six golf cart batterys and solar panels did the trick, even with the tall trees and constant cloud cover.
BTW, I picked up Leadville Lucy's lame shoe at the water pump. I soaked it and have started shaping it up. It's still creepy.......
Old 08-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Great Camping Stove!

Quote:
I really miss that camping spot. We ended up 11 days there. Never fired up the generator. My six golf cart batterys and solar panels did the trick, even with the tall trees and constant cloud cover.
BTW, I picked up Leadville Lucy's lame shoe at the water pump. I soaked it and have started shaping it up. It's still creepy.......
Hehehe...... you should name that spot "Duncan Compound". Plenty of privacy and a lot of pine needles, wHo needs air mattress when you have the spot like that.

Creepy was the exact term Derek used. Derek left it there for you to find. I took a couple nails out. Please post a pic
Old 08-12-2003, 02:19 PM

That's a great stove Ron, it's a real popular model in my Boy Scout troop. I resisted changing my lantern, stove, etc. over from white gas to propane but wow, now that I have, I wish I had done it years ago. There's nothing like just turning the valve on and with the automatic ignitor, POOF and the light or the flame starts instantly!
Old 08-12-2003, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
......I wish I had done it years ago.....
Jerry, I went from gas to propane many years ago and those little bottles killed my pocket book. I went garage saleing and back to gas. Now the little bottles are dirt cheap and I'm a propane guy again.
I used to have several lanterns I would place under ledges and behind rocks to light up the remote creeks I used to camp at in Utah. I also used to heat lots of water for my girlfriends to bath in. How romantic (and fun).........
I figured the best way to get the main squeeze to go where I wanted was to put on a luxurious camp. It worked very well.
Poor bastard that took 'em camping after me.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON I also used to heat lots of water for my girlfriends to bathe in. How romantic (and fun).........
I figured the best way to get the main squeeze to go where I wanted was to put on a luxurious camp. It worked very well.
Poor bastard that took 'em camping after me.
Heh, you sure set someone up for failure on camping with your ex-squeeze. Can you imagine the look on his face when your ex-girlfriend asks him to heat some water so she can take a bath? Ever camp or boat along the lower Colorado River or especially along any of the lakes like Lake Mojave or Lake Mead? There are a number of very secluded (some are hard to get to in fact) natural hot springs and hot pools there that take the work out of a romantic time with your girlfriend.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:49 PM

For fifeteen years I spent most of my spare time on a 22' Sea Ray on the Lakes and the Colorado River. I raised my kids and a few wives on that boat.
They say the two happiest days in a boaters life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Not for me. When I stopped using the boat and sold it I almost cried.......
I truly think I know of a couple spots on Lake Mead that even the Park Service couldn't find!
The stories of the past........
Old 08-12-2003, 07:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Cool lookin stove.. I love the one I've got.. I'll tell you, propane is a great invention.
Scott
Old 08-12-2003, 07:29 PM

Many years ago, I switched from white gas to propane. Except for my survival stove. Propane does not work well in extremely cold and high altitude areas. Before you naysayers speakup-I am talking about -40*F(and lower) and 10,000 feet!
At our support camp on the Greenland icecap, we had to bring the propane tanks inside the Weatherport tent; to keep them warm enough to operate. And hang them from the ridge poles. Can you say PITA?
Now the old diesel fuel burning cast iron stove worked well. Still could only get the frost line in the tent down to about 24" from the floor. Everything below that was frozen.