Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-09-2003, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikebeach
Anyone running the Currie steering on a lifted Bus?

Hey all,

I need a new tie rod, and all new tie rod ends (all worn out). So instead of replacing it with stock stuff, Id rather upgrade. Is anyone running it? If so any problems? How many inches of lift are you running?
Let me know the Pros and cons.
Thanks.
Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 02:39 PM

5.5 inches of lift or so.

The pros are that it is seriously beefy for anything you'd want to run in a ZJ. I hit the tie rod hard twice on the rubicon and all it did was scratch the paint off the tie rod.

The cons are that there are slight modifications needed. We had to put a slight bend in it so it would clear the trackbar /steering stabilizer mount. Also, due to the angle of the stock pitman arm on the ZJ, the on center feel of the steering is a bit vague. The last con is that I'm getting the feeling that it is a bit too strong for the stock ZJ componants it works in conjunction with. I think it's wearing out my steering box since my steering has gradually been getting more floaty since the mod.

(I'll leave the more technical stuff to people on this board who know what they are talking about).
Old 06-09-2003, 04:21 PM

I would consider also getting, ORGS mfgs. swaybar relocation brackets, they space the swaybar mounts up 2" and will provide you with better clearance,

of course there is always the WJ knuckle conversion... and pop in a HP D30 in the front..
Old 06-10-2003, 12:06 AM
AA reject

Hey, wait, doesnt that already have a HP30 front? {last time I seen it, it did}
Old 06-10-2003, 07:44 AM

oh yeah....ooops my bad
Old 06-28-2003, 01:01 AM

Well I got my Currie steering today, and man its sweet!!!

I have a question; do you think that if I get the ORGS 2" extended sway bar mounts, that the steering will clear at the passenger side track bar/stabilizer bracket with out having to put a bend in it?? What do you guys think? Also do you have pics of your setup?
Let me knwo
MIke
Old 06-28-2003, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
The last con is that I'm getting the feeling that it is a bit too strong for the stock ZJ componants it works in conjunction with. I think it's wearing out my steering box since my steering has gradually been getting more floaty since the mod.
Check the mounts.....A ZJ losing the box is nasty.....I've seen it happen. Ripped right off the "frame". Not a pretty situation. Anyone make a brace for them? ORGS maybe? If not I'd look at doing something custom.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Mike, you have too much lift to run the Currie steering without some major tweaking.

The first thing that will happen is that you will ruin the pitman arm TRE when you droop the passenger side.

Then you will come awfully close to doing the same thing to the TRE at the knuckle on the passenger side when you droop the driver's side.

You are way past any neutral points on the ends just sitting at ride height. By neutral I mean that they have the same amount of travel both up and down. You will have them at near max travel just at ride height.

The other thing that will happen with that much angularity is that your first movement will compress the spring holding the ball in the cup on the TRE. After that compresses, then the link will start it's movement. This generally displays itself as a popping sound or slight clicking when the stuff is new.

I wouldn't waste the time to install it and thereby eliminating the snivelling when it starts to wear rapidly.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:40 PM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Mike, you have too much lift to run the Currie steering without some major tweaking.

The first thing that will happen is that you will ruin the pitman arm TRE when you droop the passenger side.

Then you will come awfully close to doing the same thing to the TRE at the knuckle on the passenger side when you droop the driver's side.
I'm in almost the same boat (XJ with ~6" lift). bent me tie-rod and want to get all new stronger set-up, but while thinking it through i came with the same conclusions - the rod ends are past their neutural point, especially the pitman arm one. are there any other solutions?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
I'm in almost the same boat (XJ with ~6" lift). bent me tie-rod and want to get all new stronger set-up, but while thinking it through i came with the same conclusions - the rod ends are past their neutural point, especially the pitman arm one. are there any other solutions?
Maybe Mark Hinkley can help. I'm not to up to snuff on some good tweaks. I would just wing it by trial and error and there are probably better tried and true fixes from the LWB folks.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Get the Currie setup and tweek it to work.

It is fine in the 6" reange with bending/tweeking the ends in a press to make the tre neutural. Yes it will bend in a big press. My Sway bar relocators will help out with the y intersection by the PS coil area. Otherwise you need to bend the drag link forward to clear the area to much at 6" of lift.

mark
orgs mfg
Old 08-11-2003, 07:48 AM
dennisuello

can i get replacement rod ends else where or is it available only through Currie? mostly concerned with the long draglink rod end.

right now my stock steering barely clears the pass. side sway bar mount. how much modification will Currie set-up require?

i think i will just do ZJ conversion right now, since i am going to Rubicon this weekend, but want to keep Currie set-up in mind for future mods.

what's the misalligment range for the regular tie-rod end?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I noticed that the thread originator (mikebeach) had the Currie steering posted for sale, new in the box, on the local e-mail list. I would assume he is taking a different route for his steering needs.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
I noticed that the thread originator (mikebeach) had the Currie steering posted for sale, new in the box, on the local e-mail list. I would assume he is taking a different route for his steering needs.
Yup, Just like blaine said its gonna bottom out the TR ends. Im gonna just replace the stock ZJ stuff for now, and re-search and collect parts for a better solution.
Mike
P.S-350$ for a BNIB Currie Steering.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:19 PM
AA reject

WJ knuckle conversion = high steer and bigger brakes
Old 08-12-2003, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris L
WJ knuckle conversion = high steer and bigger brakes
yup, thats the plan