Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 AM

GPS Lowrance

What opinions does anyone have about this GPS for use in the Jeep?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...Map-Baja-840C/

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 AM

I have a Baja 540C and it works fine but unless you are interested in competition style wheeling, then there are far better and friendlier units out there for recreational use.

I went for the Lowrance because it seems to be very popular with the desert crowd and after spending a year with it, I can see why...it will store alot of points and tracks, its incredibly sturdy and the I also like the large screen although the one you linked to would be really crowding the Jeep IMO. I have my smaller 540 mounted on a RAM mount to my dash bar and it already interferes somewhat with the view out of the windshield and the passenger seat tilt function. The version you linked to would be even more in the way.

The major problem I have with Lowrance is that their maps are proprietary and not all that good. For instance...we have a major freeway built out here abut 5 years ago but it is not on my base map which is pretty pitiful. You will also need to buy their map program and card reader to get any kind of real map detail and then you are limited to how many cards you can copy (5) as their reader will serialize them. I would also check on whether maps are even available for Canada....there is a bit of consternation with us in that Mexico maps are handled 3rd party down here and not directly supported by Lowrance.