Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-19-2009, 04:34 AM

Swing out bumper/tire carrier suggestions

Am looking for suggestions...35-37 inch tire max.

Even the stinger bumpers, though I saw Gen Right and don't know if I want to lose sight lines out the back as it appears to mount fairly high.

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 02-19-2009, 03:48 PM

You don't want one.....
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
You don't want one.....
I was waiting for someone to say it.

You can fit a 35 inch tire on the stock carrier depending on your rear bumper.

Works pretty well. I've been driving around with my 35 on the stock door for awhile, now.

I don't know what you'd do with a 37.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaceman View Post
You can fit a 35 inch tire on the stock carrier depending on your rear bumper.

Works pretty well. I've been driving around with my 35 on the stock door for awhile, now.
I may have to give this a try - I hate the way mine drives with the spare hanging off the back (the heavy bumper and tire carrier doesn't help), but now that we have a little one on the way I'll have to make room in the tub for the child seat....

Did you do anything with the stock carrier, or were you able to mount the tire without modification (I'm sure backspacing has a lot to do with it)?

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB98TJ View Post
I may have to give this a try - I hate the way mine drives with the spare hanging off the back (the heavy bumper and tire carrier doesn't help), but now that we have a little one on the way I'll have to make room in the tub for the child seat....

Did you do anything with the stock carrier, or were you able to mount the tire without modification (I'm sure backspacing has a lot to do with it)?
i didn't want a big heavy carrier so i bought the bestop tire carrier. like some of you i have to keep a seat in the back for the 9 and 5 year olds.

i like it enough to say i'd do it again. once it's tuned in it makes no noise. also, it can be set tighter to prevent unwanted free swing when opening off camber.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Have the same carrier for several years now and it works well. No rattles or shakes, not too heavy and operates in unison with the door. Don't know what they go for now, but it was about $200? when I got it.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 AM

I've thought of the Bestop one for a couple of reasons...

one... is I already have a heavy duty bumper (Bulletproof) but it doesn't have the capability of adding a swing out...

two... is in the past when I had a swingout I found it a minor annoyance to have to swing open the tire carrier and then the tailgate to get into the back of the Jeep

a concern I have with the Bestop is that can it handle a 35 inch tire but I'm thinking that if i get aluminum rim it should help the weight issue somewhat.

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
It's been awhile, so I don't remember exactly anymore. I have 4 and 1/2 backspacing. If you keep your 3rd brake light, you have to raise it up with longer bolts and pvc pipe or something like that. You also have to grind out the curve of the bracket so the inside diameter of your wheel (rim) can fit.

I can't remember if blaine did anything specifically to the actual bracket, but I don't think so. (Maybe he'll see this and chime in)

It's mostly running a currie rear bumper gives the tire enough room so that the bottom edge will sit on the bumper when you close the rear door.

You do have to leave the top two lug nuts on the carrier less tight than the bottom so that the tire tilts a bit. That will get better contact with the bumper and will let you be able to use the door handle on the rear door.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:

I've done it several different ways, but nothing matters much except the end result and what you are trying to accomplish.

Basically you want the forward edge of the tire to just hop up on the back edge of the top of the bumper so the bumper carries most of the weight and the gate just stabilizes the tire.

You may even have to add a small shelf or lip to the top of the bumper and angle it to help skid the tire up onto the bumper or the little shelf if your backspacing is pretty shallow.

I've also taken the stock carriers, cut the face loose and moved it up to help if the bumpers are slightly too high.

Get it right and it works very well.

Kat's has been carrying a 35" MT/R on a MT rim since 01 with no issues at all.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
For better weight distribution you may want to keep the spare in the tub and make a bracket to hang the child seat off the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I've also taken the stock carriers, cut the face loose and moved it up to help if the bumpers are slightly too high.

Get it right and it works very well.
That's what Blaine did to my stock carrier, cut the face and moved it up about 1" (I don't have a BL). He also added a couple gussets to the top. My spare rests on my rear bumper (Hanson) putting no stress on the tailgate.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
I've thought of the Bestop one for a couple of reasons...

one... is I already have a heavy duty bumper (Bulletproof) but it doesn't have the capability of adding a swing out...

two... is in the past when I had a swingout I found it a minor annoyance to have to swing open the tire carrier and then the tailgate to get into the back of the Jeep

a concern I have with the Bestop is that can it handle a 35 inch tire but I'm thinking that if i get aluminum rim it should help the weight issue somewhat.
It's rated at a 35" tire and I had a very heavy beadlocked rim on mine for a long time with no issues. I think if you need somthing other then stock the Bestop is a great solution - elegant enough, close the body and doesn't require you to purchase a new bumper. Best of all - pretty resonably priced.

Blaine was not pleased with the installation though....
Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the tips - I'll have to give it a shot and see how it works. I'll be building me a new rear bumper, so I can make sure there is some provision for the spare to rest on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
For better weight distribution you may want to keep the spare in the tub and make a bracket to hang the child seat off the back.
I think the wife might not like that idea....

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt