Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 AM

Goodyear has been at TDS for many years so I'm hoping they have the new tire out there (they would be foolish if they didn't). I need to withhold final judgement until I see it in person.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes & Dual Diaphragm Booster & Master Upgrade, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, Advanced Adapters SYE & Tom Woods DS, Teraflex Belly Up Skid, Rocker Guards, Homebrew Bumpers & Tire Carrier, Tuffy Boxes, Lowrance iFinder GPS, Midland CB, LED Tail Lights...
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
As a comparison, you need to look at the current prices of your tire and size. You might be a bit surprised.
Yeah, I know, I was checking prices the other day. I was a bit surprised.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 AM

If the tire is not directional I am pretty sure the side bitters on the opposite side of the tire are in the opposite direction. Its hard to tell on the pics but there is one on the Goodyear site that appears to show this. http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...=#cool%20stuffYes, pass to drivers side may look different from the outside, but you can't see both sides of the vehicle at the same time. You can have a spare tire, that can be used on pass side or drivers side. With a directional tire you have to mount the tire pass side or drivers side. You have a 50/50 chance that you will mount your directional tire on the rim the right way for that unexpected flat. In my case it was 0/100 with my Iroks.

Joel
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to NikVallens
Did anyone get to take a look at the new MTRs at KOH? I saw that Walker Evans was running them on his rig.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to John90XJ
I've got a set of the new 33" MT/Rs installed on my XJ which I was able to run on a few trails before KOH. I found them to be very grippy in comparison to the BFGs I had been running, very little slippage and a really nice bulge at 10 psi.

Not having run the old style MT/R, I can't make a proper comparison. Having run 5 sets of BFGs previously, including both KOs and KMs, these Goodyears were superior. That tradeoff comes with a price however. Estimated tire life is about 30k miles. The BFGs have always delivered around 50-60k miles. Time will tell.

I learned from the GY motorsports rep that they are not directional in the sense that there are left and right tires, instead the two rows of outer lugs are designed to be run on the outside. Direction is said to be irrelevant as long as the proper outboard orientation is followed. A spare would then work on any of the four corners of a rig.

I've put about 260 miles on mine since hauling the rig back to Washington this week. They are round and balanced well on my old steel wheels. They stop well in rain and are also relatively quiet.

They run much truer to size than the BFGs and I did notice more speedo error.

A long term test began in Johnson Valley and continues in Moab this May. We'll see how it goes.