Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Johnson Valley Call to Arms

Dave Cole needs 20 empty seats for members of the Desert Advisory Council to run a very mild trail in JV on March 20th, which is a Friday.

More capable rigs may be asked to drop down Sledge from the Fissure Mountain Trail if some of the members of the Council are willing.

Those able to attend and help should be on the Lake Bed before 11:00 am on the 20th, then enjoy a quick lunch before loading up with Council Members and hitting the trail.

Expected return is between 2 and 3 pm in the afternoon which will be the extent of our responsibilities for the day.

Gerald and I will be headed out Friday morning early. If you can help, please let me know.

And, I'm well aware of all the stuff everyone has done so far, so if you can't make it, that is perfectly understood and acceptable.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Sounds like fun. See you there.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM

I would Blaine but I just can't take any more time off the new job, I hope it goes well.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to NikVallens
I'll be in town! I'd love to come. I don't know if my rig is considered "more capable" but I'm happy to help any way I can.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Sounds like fun. See you there.
Thanks Joe, I was hoping you could make it.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikVallens View Post
I'll be in town! I'd love to come. I don't know if my rig is considered "more capable" but I'm happy to help any way I can.
Due to you having never run the trail fully, I'm going to put you down for the first part and see how it goes.

Personally, I would have no issues getting you over the trail, but with a bunch of outside eyes on the deal, we'll just have to play it by ear for now.

Thanks for helping. We stay in touch as it gets closer.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
I have to get the Jeep up to John @ All 4 wheel to get the ARB fixed. I hope to make this, but I'm not 100%.
AIM: Dukes69
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Dave Cole needs 20 empty seats for members of the Desert Advisory Council to run a very mild trail in JV on March 20th, which is a Friday.

More capable rigs may be asked to drop down Sledge from the Fissure Mountain Trail if some of the members of the Council are willing.

Those able to attend and help should be on the Lake Bed before 11:00 am on the 20th, then enjoy a quick lunch before loading up with Council Members and hitting the trail.

Expected return is between 2 and 3 pm in the afternoon which will be the extent of our responsibilities for the day.

Gerald and I will be headed out Friday morning early. If you can help, please let me know.

And, I'm well aware of all the stuff everyone has done so far, so if you can't make it, that is perfectly understood and acceptable.
Blaine, I will be there for sure with my Jeep and my friend Mike with his Jeep. Both us are fine for Sledge or whatever you want. I have a few other people up here in Big Bear I will check with too.

I already got Heather to give me the day off of work
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Blaine, I got a few more Jeeps....... My friend's Scott and Gordon are coming. Both okay with Sledge or whatever.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Blaine, I got a few more Jeeps....... My friend's Scott and Gordon are coming. Both okay with Sledge or whatever.
Thanks Quinn. I have us down for 8 so far including your 4. It's very much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Thanks Quinn. I have us down for 8 so far including your 4. It's very much appreciated.
Blaine, add 1 more, Jim Newkirshner in his MUTT. It's a Jeep/Bronco/buggy kind of thing.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Are you gonna go for just the day, i might be able to make it but unsure right now. Up for a Sat run also ??
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Are you gonna go for just the day, i might be able to make it but unsure right now. Up for a Sat run also ??
The Saturday run is difficult because there is a FOJV meeting on the lakebed that day and if you're in the area, you might consider making an attempt to attend.

I may spend the night though.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Well - with work the way it is now I just can't take a day off right now.

Have fun guys - represent!

Jeff
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Jeeps working, see you out there.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Big thanks go out to those that made it out on a weekday and helped with this. 20 seats were asked for and as it turned out, 40 were needed. Fortunately, we had an overwhelming response which gave us 41 empty seats.

It turns out this Desert Advisory Council is a pretty big thing and it appears so far, that we left them with a very favorable impression of us and the area.

The number 1 comment heard over and over- We had no idea this was here. Now they know.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Yogurt Boi

Send a message via AIM to Larry Nickell
I find it impossible to find words to thank those that are on the front lines of this battle to save Johnson Valley. I'll continue to do what I can from so far away, but I sometimes feel its not enough and wish I could do more. I'm hopeful that I'm not the only one to thank you for what you are doing to preserve this treasure for all of us.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Thats great news Blaine!

I was hoping it went well. Glad to hear the overwhelmingly good response, and to hear that they had NO IDEA what was out there. That is EXACTLY what needed to happen.

That is one more step in the right direction.

Tam
Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Nice work guys, it sounds like it really (!) helped our case. Wow, 40 seats ended up being needed and 41 were there, how cool. Thanks to everyone who was able to make it.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Nickell View Post
I find it impossible to find words to thank those that are on the front lines of this battle to save Johnson Valley. I'll continue to do what I can from so far away, but I sometimes feel its not enough and wish I could do more. I'm hopeful that I'm not the only one to thank you for what you are doing to preserve this treasure for all of us.
I'd like to echo Larry's comments. It's hard being so far away, but we try to do all we can to help out.
Thanks to all who are closer that can attend and help with these kinds of events and meetings.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Larry and David, having the likes of you two support us in spirit and financially with your donations when we've asked is enough to make the difference between finding an excuse to stay home and finding an excuse to go out there.

In my case, I couldn't really afford to go at this time, but a little notice showed up in the mail letting me know that I could cash in Rewards points for fuel cards. Outstanding! I did the little conversion from points to cards online and 2 days later, 300 dollars worth of fuel cards showed up in a Priority Mail envelope.

Also, this trip out, we finally got our turn in the barrel as far as reliability goes. We've always been the group that has the least amount of carnage and this time the only carnage was confined to our group. Corey took out a rear ring and pinion on a steep climb with a DAC passenger on board and Joe lost a shock that took him out.

Joe was the 41st seat, so he was able to drop back and not hold the group up. Dave Cole was my passenger and we towed Corey down off the hill and let everyone else continue on the run. We took him as far as the flat and then headed back to get Dave to the Lakebed to say goodbye to the BLM folks.

Good news from Larry Blaine who is charge of the BLM office that oversees the JV area. They have a couple of Rangers moving up the duty roster who will be able to start patrolling the OHV on the weekends when they are most needed.

I overheard a bit of scuttlebutt that one of the passengers on the tour was a member or head of our Governor's OHV oversight staff. (not clear as to how that works) And it was said that she was favorably impressed.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGal View Post
Thats great news Blaine!

I was hoping it went well. Glad to hear the overwhelmingly good response, and to hear that they had NO IDEA what was out there. That is EXACTLY what needed to happen.

That is one more step in the right direction.

Tam
The only snippy bit was the Colonel from the Base would not go along, something about showing preferential treatment and if he went with us, then he would have to go with everyone. I want to know who the "everyone" is that he's afraid to go with.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772240
Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM

Outstanding work everyone!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 PM

I had a good time, even with the broken shock mount. It was sure good to see how many were able to come.

The guys who camped ~50 yards from us are Federal Firefighters on the base. One of them is a retired navy guy - we hit it off pretty good due to their large cooler of beer. They mentioned that they have been coming to JV for several years and have written letters and signed petitions. They mentioned to me that the gossip that they hear is that the Marines would still rather annex JV than move in a different direction and that the base has known for ages about the use JV gets by us and others.

The guy who was showing folks the maps on the hood of his car had some things to share with the group as well. He had a large map that showed areas that Feinstein is in the stages of proposing for change. Basically, in this proposal, JV would be redesignated as protected Federal Lands, kept under BLM management, and stay as an OHV area and that the Base expand to the east some. Several other areas on this map were being considered for redesignation as well.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
posted by Helen Baker on MJR:

Quote:
This post does not bear good news, so if after reading it, you want to shoot the messenger, fire away. If on the other hand, you recognize that the messenger is not the enemy, then perhaps you need to realize that you need to take a more proactive stance to save Johnson Valley.

Helen
www.pfjv.org

I attended the DAC tour on Friday, and I too heard all of the wonderful comments made by the DAC members and the others in attendance. Incidentally, in case you didn't get to meet him, San Bernardino County First District Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt went on the ride.

It was truly wonderful that all of you gave freely of your time and your equipment to show the Advisory Council just how special Johnson Valley is to all of us. I know that by the end of the day you were all pretty hyped up over the how well your efforts were received. I have no doubt that there was a great deal of 'bench racing' done by the DAC members on their way back to Barstow. I bet there was a lot of "I can top that stories" of daring-do by their drivers. With this tour being an unqualified success, and without a doubt, one of the best that has ever been presented to the DAC, I, and I'm sure all of you had high hopes that surely the DAC would be very vocal in their comments to the BLM and the Military, that Johnson Valley MUST be saved.

I went to the DAC meeting the following day, with visions of grand statements of support for saving Johnson Valley dancing in my head.

What did I hear instead? The sounds of silence! The rave reviews of the previous day were nowhere to be heard. The DAC members were back to business as usual, and when the representative for the Barstow BLM gave the required report of the previous day's tour, what did it consist of? Words to the effect of, 'What you saw yesterday was just a small part of Johnson Valley, there's more to it than just that one area.' HUH? To say that I was shocked by the failure to recognize the effort that went in to giving the DAC members, the 'ride of their life,' is a gross understatement!

I know that the volunteers were thanked on Friday out on the lakebed, but frankly, none of that is part of the public record, and in general terms, if it ain't in the minutes, it didn't happen.

I will give credit to Steve Borchard, the California Desert District Manager, who did make a statement for the record. Mr. Borchard said, "It was an exciting and illustrative ride, thanks to the volunteers and their equipment."

Later in the meeting, following a briefing by Col. Weston, USMC, I thought that surely, now the DAC members would speak up in support of saving Johnson Valley, after all they could make their statement directly to the Colonel. Didn't happen. At no time during the meeting, did the council take any position of support for saving Johnson Valley.

There was one bright point in the day, and that was when DAC member Dinah Shumway pointedly challenged the Marines by saying, you should include looking at wilderness areas, because everyone should be asked to support the military, not just the recreationalists! She continued, "No one sector of our community should be asked to sacrifice." I thought, perhaps now, the council would speak out to save Johnson Valley. They did not.

Did the advisory council give any advice to the BLM during the meeting? Yes, they asked them to implement the following rules on BLM land: no wood with metal, no glass, and implement a 10:00 PM curfew for noise. Oh yes, and some other motion about putting up more signs.

All and all, I was hugely disappointed in the BLM and the DAC, and I am very proud of the Off Road Community.
AIM: Dukes69
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 AM

That's kind of a let down I suppose! Maybe they haven't fully taken in yet the events of the days and went on autopilot for their saturday meeting?
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
That's kind of a let down I suppose! Maybe they haven't fully taken in yet the events of the days and went on autopilot for their saturday meeting?
Go read the entire thread on P4x4. Keith makes some very valid points that mitigate some of the disappointment over this.

I do have one giant question. Meg from ORBA who has always sided with D-37 even to the point of being willing to trade JV for more motorcycle land elsewhere is a member of the DAC and took the tour.

Why didn't she at least make a point to get the run in the minutes? (rhetorical)
Old 03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Betty Munson just forwarded me a copy of the article she wrote that will appear in the Yucca Valley HiDesert Star on Saturday

Quote:
On Friday, Mar. 20, there was an unusual gathering of extreme four wheelers out on Means Dry Lake, surrounding a yellow bus.
The occasion was the quarterly BLM field trip with the Desert Advisory Council. They came to Johnson Valley, to visit the world-famous Hammers trails.
(Possibly word had reached the BLM that something goes on in this neck of the woods—er, rocks—that attracts people by the thousands, and not just for special events like the King of the Hammers Race.)
County Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt rode along. Roxie Trost, District Manager for the BLM was asked when she came back, "Well, were you scared?" She exclaimed, "No, it was FUN!"

Helen Baker of the Partnership for Johnson Valley wrote on www.pirate4x4.com <http://www.pirate4x4.com/> , "It was truly wonderful that all of you gave freely of your time and your equipment to show the Advisory Council just how special Johnson Valley is to all of us...With this tour being an unqualified success, and without a doubt, one of the best that has ever been presented to the DAC, I, and I'm sure all of you, had high hopes that surely the DAC would be very vocal in their comments to the BLM and the Military, that Johnson Valley MUST be saved."

But Helen goes on to report that, sadly, at the follow-up meeting on Saturday, little was said about the outing.
Too bad. We heard their excitement ourselves when the rigs returned to camp. Once again, it looks like the message gets across, but does not get passed on, to higher-ups and decision makers. The Desert Advisory Council offered no advice that Johnson Valley must be saved, for all kinds of recreation.
Colonel Wes Weston, USMC, and Joe Ross, Land Acquisition Program Manager, were at Means, also, and they heard. The Marines make a persuasive case for the expansion of the Base, to train to safely execute national strategies planned far, far away.
We must continue to make the case that the community of Johnson Valley, the visitors who use the Open Riding Area, the local economy and the economy of the state of California will be hit a body blow if we are closed out of these unique public lands forever.
There's just nowhere else like it.
The extreme four wheelers certainly did their best to make the case. There were over 20 rigs there, this on a work day, come together to show the BLM and DAC people just what the shouting was all about.
You may not be particularly interested in this kind of recreation, but these people deserve credit for helping Johnson Valley.The Victor Valley 4 Wheelers were represented; they are the intrepid folks who first developed trails in impassable rocky canyons. Extreme Wheelers 4 Christ was another name we saw. Thanks to Helen for this list of some of the others: Bear Valley 4 Wheelers, CA4WDC, CORVA, Chuckwalla 4x4, Friends of Johnson Valley, Inland Empire 4 Wheelers, NAXJA, PFJV, Tin Benders and Waywegos. Praise to all.

See trail photos by Max Yedor on the "thank you" thread on www.pirate4x4.com <http://www.pirate4x4.com/> .
• And how about signing an on-line petition? Log on to www.savejohnsonvalley.com <http://www.savejohnsonvalley.com>
Im thrilled We need articles like this all over!

Tam
Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 PM

If the public had access to the actual input forwarded, I would think that some/most folks would vomit. I have. I am sickened.