Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Official KOH Crew Thread

It's time to start getting our stuff together for the crew duties for KOH.

Tentatively I will be there Wednesday 25 Feb to help with some stuff and in preparation to work the Last Chance Qualifier on Thursday with Dave doing the timing.

After the LCQ on Thursday 26th, there will be a raffle that is only for the volunteers, no drivers, organizers, vendors, or spectators will invited to it.

The Race is on Friday 27 and we'll be doing checkpoint duties most likely or similar.

A 2meter radio that they can be hacked so you can get on 151.685 to both transmit and recieve is a big plus, but not a requirement.

Vehicle choice is not a requirement either. If you need a seat, we'll track and supply as they become available.

There will be a clean-up after the race for sections of the course and a big clean-up on Saturday for the mess from the spectators.

So far I have solid promises from the following and will add and update durations of stay as we go. Hopefully others will remind me that I've forgotten them or want to go and be part of something very cool.

Erik
Matt
Gerald
Jon
Thor
Van
Chris F.
Stuart
Cory
Joe Dillard

Post up and let's get this figured out. Also, we will be trying out our new campsite, so don't show up to the old one and wonder where everyone is. We won't be there.

NOTE: if you notice some missing posts, it's because I will edit and keep this thread on track. If you wish to banter, find some place else to do it.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 PM

As you know Blaine, I'll be crewing with Joe Bertain at his checkpoint but we'll be camping/hanging with your crew.

If anyone needs help on modifying their 2m rig to transmit on the KOH frequency Blaine mentioned, let me know your rig's brand and model number and I'll try to figure out the mod that is needed for it. If you're close enough, I can probably do the mod for you if you can get your 2m rig to me.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 PM

Put me in for a strong maybe if that counts for anything. I'll let you know in the near future if I'm solid.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Put me in for a strong maybe if that counts for anything. I'll let you know in the near future if I'm solid.

BTW: It probably doesn't really matter, but Wednesday is the 25th unless my laptop calander for 2008 is incorrect.
Thanks for the correction Joe. I'd rather wait until you can firm up your plans before I put you on the list. Hopefully by then we'll be trying out your new steering.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM

That would be real nice to have my steering quirks and a few other items worked out.

I'll check my work calendar tomorrow to see what's on the horizon for late Feb for me. I know there's a chance I'll be working out of town from the middle of Jan to sometime in Feb.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Blaine i would love to help out and could be there Wed, thurs,fri. Whatever you need. I can be the token tattoo man ! ( every group needs one)
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Blaine i would love to help out and could be there Wed, thurs,fri. Whatever you need. I can be the token tattoo man ! ( every group needs one)
With or without radio? I'll add you to the list and it's most appreciated Stuart.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 AM

No radio at the moment
Old 12-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Blaine, Count me in. And of coarse all my radios are modded. I can't leave anything stock.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjeep View Post
Blaine, Count me in. And of coarse all my radios are modded. I can't leave anything stock.
You're in, please let me know ahead of time if you think something may interfere with you making it.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
A 2meter radio that they can be hacked so you can get on 151.685 to both transmit and recieve is a big plus, but not a requirement.
Is 151.685 the "checkpoint frequency" or is that for everything KOH related Blaine?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM

I think I would be able to come out and help although I have no idea what I would supposed to be doing.

I could certainly help with the Saturday Cleanup.

Can I post a yes/no closer to the date? I need to consult with the wife.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Is 151.685 the "checkpoint frequency" or is that for everything KOH related Blaine?
It was the "race only" frequency. They did have other assigned frequencies for EMS and Logistics. As we get closer, the KOH board will be updated with the correct stuff and we'll be staying in touch over there as well.

We do have to be very careful not to discuss too much outside of that forum as competitors are generally kept pretty much in the dark on some stuff and I don't know all of what needs to be kept private yet.

As volunteers we will be privy to some info that can't be shared publicly.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaceman View Post
I think I would be able to come out and help although I have no idea what I would supposed to be doing.

I could certainly help with the Saturday Cleanup.

Can I post a yes/no closer to the date? I need to consult with the wife.
Of course you can post your answer at a later date. At this point without knowing all the needs, bodies that are able are a good start. We'll fill needs as we know them.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i'll be there, Blaine. shall i check with Jim as our photographer? i'm sure he would like to attend. if possible, i'm sure he would like an opportunity to move around to photograph other areas as well if this can be made possible.
i'll confirm his ability to attend.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
It was the "race only" frequency. They did have other assigned frequencies for EMS and Logistics. As we get closer, the KOH board will be updated with the correct stuff and we'll be staying in touch over there as well.

We do have to be very careful not to discuss too much outside of that forum as competitors are generally kept pretty much in the dark on some stuff and I don't know all of what needs to be kept private yet.

As volunteers we will be privy to some info that can't be shared publicly.
Mum's the word, thank you Blaine. I read where some of the competitors even got last year's race course map early so I understand the need for security.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Flame Broiled is best

Hey Blaine,

Count me in as highly probable if there's anything I can do, and like a few others, I will confirm with you as the date gets closer.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
Mum's the word, thank you Blaine. I read where some of the competitors even got last year's race course map early so I understand the need for security.
huh?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341 View Post
huh?
The final course route is supposed to remain secret up until a controlled point in time when all of the competitors are given the final exact race route and check point locations together. I read a comment by one of KOH's managers on their website where a few of last year's competitors may have gotten an early copy which might have given them a slight advantage.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The final course route is supposed to remain secret up until a controlled point in time when all of the competitors are given the final exact race route and check point locations together. I read a comment by one of KOH's managers on their website where a few of last year's competitors may have gotten an early copy which might have given them a slight advantage.
If they did get a copy, it had to come from a very small handful of organizers. We didn't even know what the course was until we showed up for our volunteer meeting the day before the race and only then because it was posted on the side of the event trailer.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 AM

Yep, I'm most likely in. I'm going to have to call you sometime soon Blaine and get the details though, so I can figure out which days and what time to be in by.

It's looking like I'd be able to make Friday-Saturday.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Its coming up fast. Are we going to get more info, or is it a lake bed info fest. Are we working the LCQ or just the race. I'll be down for both.
Kory
Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjeep View Post
Its coming up fast. Are we going to get more info, or is it a lake bed info fest. Are we working the LCQ or just the race. I'll be down for both.
Kory
At some point, they will post up the date and time for the Volunteer meeting to let everyone know what's going on.

At this point, there will be needs for help for the LCQ and anyone who shows up for that will most certainly be used doing something. I'm helping Dave that day with the timing.

In general, we have our assignment for the Race on Friday. We were asked to man Checkpoint 1, work the pit in the same spot, and man a Road Crossing.

That point is fairly close to the Lakebed and we will be released from that spot about 2 hours after the last car goes through.

I suspect we will be getting organized to help with some cleaning up after we take a break and do what we can to help where we're needed.

On Saturday, we've been asked to help run a few trails and do some trail repairs to put them back in the condition they were in before the race.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
On Saturday, we've been asked to help run a few trails and do some trail repairs to put them back in the condition they were in before the race.
Run up Outer Limits and put the turtle rock back where it belongs.
Thank-you
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 PM

I have experienced a change of plans on my end of things and I cannot be out for the KOH. Sorry.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Back up to the top for any updates.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Joe Bertain & I have been assigned to checkpoint 5, any idea where that is Blaine? If it's confidential but you know where it is, a PM to me or Joe would be great as he doesn't know where it is yet either.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Joe Bertain & I have been assigned to checkpoint 5, any idea where that is Blaine? If it's confidential but you know where it is, a PM to me or Joe would be great as he doesn't know where it is yet either.
I don't know where your check point is. I'm going to assume since it's number 5, that it's not really close to the lakebed.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator

NOTICE! Due to a reduction in traffic out there, we will be camping in our regular spot.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Thanks Blaine, that's what I figured, that only a few know the precise locations of the check points yet.

If you're going to be around this weekend, would you mind if I stopped by to use your press to straighten my tie rod and take the extra bend out of my RE track bar?