Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Smile newbie looking for advice

HI!!! I recently bought my buddy's 1999 Sahara with about 50k miles on it and am looking for suggestions on modifications and equipment. I currently live in south Louisiana with much water, swamps, etc. but not many hills. I want to get into off-roading, but also want to drive it routinely on-road. My friend was always going to put in a 4" lift kit, but never got around to it... I am looking for any suggestions on lift kit and other equipment for my new Jeep. Any help or comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I've had the Jeep for about 3 weeks now and am having a blast. Practically lived in it & put ~2500 miles on it since I bought it. Thanks again for any help & suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010084.jpg (51.7 KB, 190 views)
Old 04-10-2004, 08:27 PM

In general I'd suggest getting involved with some other Jeep people.....maybe a local 4x4 club and get that thing out and wheel it. That assumes you WANT to wheel it and have opportunity to wheel it.

I know how I would recommend you set it up for rocks but not in the mud and slime I imagine you see down there.

I'd recommend some rocker protection, some quick disconnects, and perhaps a 12v cheap plug-n compressor (so you can air-up). Fin some others to go out with and wheel it. You will better learn what you want to do that way and can make better decisions about how you want to build it.
Grey '00 TJ 4.0, WarnXD9000i/X Line, D44/30 (4.56) ... Atlas, Warn Hubs(F&R), Rear Disc, RE4.5, 1" BL/MM Lift, DT3000's, ARB Locked-F/R, Tomken Gas Skid, 4XD Rocker Guard, MORE HC Bumper, YORK OBA, Garvin Tire Carrier/Trail Rack, Rockhard Cage, GY 35x12.50 MTR / Hellcat's

http://fototime.com/480DEB5DE804473/thumbnail.jpg
Old 04-12-2004, 08:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Plenty of lift to clear a tall aggresive tire, moderate gears (wheel spin is your friend), recovery points, a winch, some skid plates, and all the water proofing that you can do.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:15 AM

along the lines of what scotty says - you really needs to connect up with local jeepers. that will give you your best lead on what works and what doesn't. one thing I can imagine you want some local input on would be control arms, particularly what joints will tolerate the mud and slime - something most of us out west have little experience with.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:17 AM

go here and ask around:

LA Jeepers
Old 04-12-2004, 03:11 PM

as john says: for mud you need big, wide tires and evrything to turn them (gears, lockers,...)
if it can float too it doesn't hurt