Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-22-2001, 01:49 PM
Banned

Clunk ?

I’ve got a “clunk” when going over bumpy trails in the driver side rear. It almost sounds like my wheel is loose or something (it’s not). I climbed under it to see if I could move anything around, but couldn’t. I thought maybe it was a broken bar pin but it didn’t look broken.

Any ideas/suggestions? Could it be a shock bushing has worn and become too “big”? When a bar pin breaks, does the shock come out/off the Jeep (because it has no more mount at the top)? I promise not to flame the people for a week that try to help (that means pimps that think they’re funny need not apply)

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 06-22-2001, 02:44 PM

Do you have a trackbar relocation bracket? If so, give that a look see - they explode on a fairly common basis unless they are used with an adjsutable trackbar.

If you have a bad bar-pin, your shock would be loose and clanking around pretty good (BTDT).

If its none of those, you may want to check your control arms, particularly if you are running stockers and very particularly, if they are the original stockers. I went through 2 sets of stock arms (uppers and lowers) before I went to my Tera arms and when the bushings were shot, they would make some noise.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 06-23-2001, 11:32 AM
Banned

Thanks Robert. It probably is the control arms, as I haven't put the trackbar bracket on or adj track bar. I can't get the shock to move by pulling/pushing/yanking/etc. so it's probably not the bar pin then. I had never thought about the control arms, and yes they are the original stock arms. Thanks a lot (I don't know when I would have though of that, if I ever would have)!

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom