Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-05-2001, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Belly-up install

I am in the process of installing a Currie flatter belly skid. This requires the removal of the stock tranny mount and replacing it with a generic GM polyurethane mount.

1 plate has three holes in it.
2 plates have 2 holes the same size and 1 bigger hole.
2 plates have 2 holes in them of the same size.

3 of the plates have holes that line up with the transmission, but don't line up with the motor mount.

2 of the plates have holes that line up with the mount but not the transmission.

1 plate has holes that line up with both, but the heads of the bolts are in the way when you bolt it up.

There is an additional pre-tension plate for the motor mount and a bulge on one side of the urethane.

The holes in the mount are standard thread and the holes in the tranny mount are metric. Some of the holes don't have any threads.

In addition, one of the plates has a round tube welded to the end.

Can you please describe the assembly sequence for me as I don't want JeepKat's trans to fall out on the trail?

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Old 06-05-2001, 01:51 PM

Robert,

This -plate- has generated a new misc item list to purchase additional bolts, spacers and nuts

Plus- Blaine forgot to mention that one of the plates is a mounting plate and not a spacer plate per the item list: "this plate is not a spacer and must be installed for proper operation of the transmission mount" which plate would that be?
Old 06-05-2001, 03:54 PM

I'm watching with curiosity, in case my flat skid situation doesn't work out. Hopefully, it will. Hopefully. If not, I'm gonna go with the curry if it appears more stout than the tera.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:27 PM
Administrator

William- there is no doubt as to the strength difference. The Currie piece is 25 percent stronger in material thickness and 50 percent stronger in design parameters.

It is also not available to the general public as a bolt on piece. The aforementioned question (which has yet to be answered) is part of the reason. This is a piece that they make when they sell the HP triangulated rear that they install at the shop. I conned them into selling me one. It is sorta like the small gas tank in SS. They show it, but don't really want to sell you one.

Old 06-05-2001, 06:29 PM

Really nice tranny mount!

This tranny mount made my tranny stop shaking, no more rattling from the transfer case linkage.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:57 PM

Sounds like Metcalf layed out the holes for Currie....

Seriously, It seems to me when you put one of these flat skids on you should relocate the spring perch on the axle. After tilting my pinion up, the perches are goofy. Also the bump stop kinda doesn't hit where it's suppose to.
Is relocating the axle perch common for guys that can weld?
Ron
Old 06-12-2001, 10:01 AM
Administrator

The holes actually line up with each other. It is just figuring out the order that you have to stack the plates in that is hard. The skid has to be up and tight for each trial fit.

The object is to get the t-case as low as possible and still clear the skid. That can't be done without the weight of the motor and trans on the new mount.