Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-06-2004, 03:36 PM

Roof racks (for cars, not jeeps)

Long story short, my brother was coming down from the Bay area, and he can't... He was going to bring somethings down in his truck.. And now he can't... My wife want's to be able to take a surf board in her new car.. So, we need a roof rack. In short order (I'm going up this week).

I'm sure the dealer has one, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the after market roof racks and know of any that are decent or not.

Thanks for any insight you can provide...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:44 PM

One word - Yakima. They make one of the nicest systems I have had the pleasure to use. I had one for my SHO Taurus before the Jeep. It was quite adaptable to either a ski rack or a bike rack or I would imagine, surfboards. Try a Sport Chalet or if you have them down there, Chicks Sporting Goods. Spendy though but worth it.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:12 PM

Thanks. We had one on the pathfinder in Iceland, but I can't remember the model of it. I'll check them out. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:43 PM

William - I had a Yakima on my car for my bikes - great rack

I still have the roof mounts which are the most expensive part - they are yours if you want them. You'll need to purchase the correct gutter clips and the cross poles but that isn't that expensive. The roof mounts do not require any drilling or anything - and I think they still have the locks in them.

Yakima has a good website as well.

Let me know - I can drop them in the mail for you.

There is a dedicated sports rack store on Harbor in Costa Mesa - Sportracks USA or something - they might be a chain.

REI has a great selected of Yakima products as well.

Jeff
Old 04-06-2004, 08:51 PM

rei does have a nice selection but they are however, anti-offroading and very much aligned with the s/c to close trails to motorized users.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 AM

I found a place called "rack it" in San Diego. I've been to REI, but really, politics aside, they've done a lot of switching to house brands, and most anything I can get there, I can get other places, and cheaper.