Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-08-2002, 02:38 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Why I only Buy Tires at Wal-Mart

Why I only Buy Tires at Wal-Mart

Early last week I took my Wife's Grand Prix GTP over to Wal-Mart for it's 3K, $27 Mobil 1 Oil change (I can't buy the oil and filter for that price!)

The service Manager asked if I wanted the tires rotated and balanced under the lifetime balance and rotation plan I purchased on them. I told him "Don't waist your time. I need to buy new tires in a few weeks."

He said, "That can't be, those are the top of the line Michelin 80,000 mile tires!"

At which I said "I didn't know that but they are all warn out and for $160 each I want something different the next time."

He looked in the service computer and saw my wife only put 47K miles on them. He said, that's not right. If you want to replace these today they will only cost you 40% of regular retail.

I said "Your kidding right?? He said, Nope!

So these 17-inch incredibly fat sticky tires got replaced for 40 cents on the dollar! Without me even asking, complaining or having any grief or aggravation of any kind.

He even transferred to lifetime Balance and rotate on each tire to the new tires for $1.25 per tire!

This is the second time Wal-Mart has resolved a tire issue for me in a way that is truly amazing.

I asked about MTR's, they can get them too!

Frank
Old 08-08-2002, 04:46 PM

So what kind of price did he quote you on the MTRs????
Old 08-08-2002, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds like Wal-Mart is the place for tires, just don't come the Winchester one Frank. Its way too dangerous with one murder and two suicides in a week !!
Old 08-09-2002, 12:26 AM

Some people have had issues about buying oversized or non factory speced sized tires at walmart. I.e. They won't sell them to them, or when it comes to the warranty issues they become non friendly.

Chad
Old 08-09-2002, 04:40 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Chad,

Hmmmmmmm I don't know why that is, but I certainly don't doubt your experiences.

A while back I went to Wal-mart to buy 4 BFG MT's 32x11.50 While they did not have them in stock the service manager said he would get them for me. All I had to do was pay for them in advance. Which I did.

A week later they were in.

18,000 miles later, after a day of heavy wheeling I went back for a rotate and balance under the warrantee and they noticed two very minor cuts in two tire sidewalls. The manager said he needed to replace them.

A few minutes later he said he couldn't get replacement tires, and would I mind if he replaced all four with the BFG MT KM's as an alternative.

The entire transaction cost me $5 ($1.25 each to transfer the road hazard warrantee to the new tires.) I asked what he was going to do with the two good MT's he would take off and he said dispose of them. "Do you want them?" YUP!!!!

So I managed to get 4 new BFG MT KM's and two of the four old MFG MT's. All without asking for any of this!!!

Needless to say I was a happy camper.

Mike,
I don't know what the MTR's would cost at Wal-Mart as I did not ask. All I asked was if he could get them for me. He said yes, but it may take a week or so, just like the BFG MT's.

Hey Dodd, Yes I know. What a same that has been.

For those of you who do not know, Winchester KY is a small town just east of Lexington. Dodd lives there and I once did as well. Wonderful little small-town American town.

In the last week or so there have been two tragic shooting at the store. In one a crasy Father shooting his daughter and then taking his own life, and yesterday another guy taking his own life inside the store.

Very tragic and greatly unexpected in such a great little town.

My prayers go out to all of them.

Frank
Old 08-09-2002, 07:56 AM

Frank,
It sounds like you have a winner there. I would definitely stick with them as long as they keep that manager!
So far my Discount Tire Store has been good to me. I have had 4 35" MT/Rs replaced due to sidewall rips/holes in less than a year. I do have to pay $30 each time for the guarantee and balance. I feel guilty every time I go in there as the tires are not worn bad at all. If they replaced them with minor cuts I would have to have all replaced every other month.