Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-23-2001, 09:17 AM

Street tires, and off road tires

I have an opertunity to pick up some gambler rims. So, the thought came to mind, that perhaps under this year's jeep budget, I should get some offroad tires. I could put 33x12.50 (either TSL's, or MT/R's), and keep the 33x10.50 on the gamblers as street tires. Anyone have opinions?

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-23-2001, 09:52 AM

If they are stock (ie came with a Jeep) Gamblers, they will have to much backspacing. To run a 12.50 width, you need 4.5" or less.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 07-23-2001, 09:58 AM
Banned

In Oregon, it is pretty routine. Many people have winter tires and summer tires; or street and off road. It significantly reduces tire wear on some of the softer tread tires when you have to drive them 100 miles to work every week, as well as less road noise. If you have the budget and are contemplating getting a very aggressive off road tire (i.e., swampers) it may be worth it. Another thing a guy was telling me is his swampers cost him about 1.5 mpg on the highway compared to his less aggressive tires (both 33x12.5). He's now contemplating the BFG AT in 33x10.5 to get even better highway mileage on trips and less weight on his drivetrain.

My TJ is not a daily driver anymore, so I don't think it's worth it for me, but if you only have the Jeep to drive I can definitely see some advantages.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom

Edit: I think the 33x10.5 would fit on the Gambler's, but do you have less bs on your wheels now (for the 12.5" width)?
Old 07-23-2001, 10:12 AM

Robert,

I'm gonna put the 33x10.50's on the gamblers, and use my ar767 rims which have the correct backspacing, for the larger tires.

BTW, which swampers do you have?

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-23-2001, 10:30 AM

I have the radial TSL's - I wish I went with the SX's though as they have a much stronger sidewall. I do like the traction though - much better then BFG's, especially the big sidebiter lugs.

98 TJ Sport
Old 07-23-2001, 10:40 AM

But the SX's are much much more expensive right?

I'm tossed between the TSL's and the MT/R. The cincher seams to be $, because I can't seem to find anyother difference. MT/R's seem to go for 175, and I've found swampers for as little as 120.
I'd rather go MT/R, but can't justify the cost. It may be an apples to oarnges comparison.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-23-2001, 11:34 AM
Administrator

William- I can get the 33 MT/R for 198.74 out the door. This includes Mount and Balance, tax and America's Tire Replacement warranty. In my personal experience, no one has been able to beat their warranty.

I have also been able to purchase elsewhere and have the warranty from America's put on them. That is the current situation with Kat's tires. They were bought at Goodyear and have America's warranty on them.

Be sure and get the out the door price for comparison. I have another place I can check, and will do so.

Jamie is at 167.00 out the door with no warranty. It's pretty much a wash.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 07-23-2001, 11:53 AM

Well, with some lunch time internet pricing, the cheapest I've found is 166 from Discount Tire. HOWEVER, the warrenty is the deal, from what I can see. And it'd be worth it's wieght in wheel lead, either on on a Swamper or a MT/R. But I'm not sure that either deal in the swamper, and also, if they'd put the warrenty on it.
Is that on a 33x12.50 price or 35 as you and Kathryn (spelled correctly) have?

198.74 X 5 = 993.70

What is thier base price on the tire?
I wonder also, if they offer the same deal on interco tires?

Hmm..

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-23-2001, 12:01 PM
Banned

William,

Right now I have two sets. Keep in mind that I do not drive the TJ in the street much. Just to buy milk, give the kids a ride and attend club outings.

I have the SSRs for the street and the SXs for the off road. If I could only afford one set and it was my main street ride, I would go with the SSRs (that's me) with my setup. If "I" had your setup I would MTR which is a lighter tire. I would also not go any wider than 12.50 any longer (been there done that). You might also want to look at the new BF.

Blaine, I've been trying to price out a 37x12.50x15 MTR to carry as a spare only. They want my left nut and my first born for it. What is the best price you have seen anywhere?

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 07-23-2001, 12:07 PM
Reggae

William, I think that you have very nice tires for the kind of trails that you can normally find in So Cal. I’d say do not buy tires until you need a replacement or size upgrade. This is just my opinion, but I had BFG ATs, and they perform at least as good as MTRs or even better in soft/hard dirt situations (rocks and mud is another issue).

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-23-2001, 01:09 PM

TO,

I agree, and they've served me well. But for the harder stuff... What I do now, they are OK. But at some point, I'm going to be doing harder stuff, and they won't suffice. I'd like to keep them for the street, while they still have life left in them.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-23-2001, 01:40 PM
Reggae

What harder stuff?

Old 07-23-2001, 02:03 PM

Tobagon backwards, Sand Stone Canyon, Bronco Peak (if someone ever takes us there..
).. I could try a slightly harder line than I normally take, and woudn't get kicked around like I was this weekend on some spots... I have other trails in mind too.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-23-2001, 02:15 PM

Once you get locked up, it will be a different ball game - I would wait on the tires until you do the locker or lockers then decide. Besides, you look like the type that needs a little sand kicked on him once in awhile

98 TJ Sport
Old 07-23-2001, 02:24 PM
Reggae

Where is the Sand Stone Canyon?

Depending on the side you are taking, you can do Bronco Peak in a stock jeep. I don’t remember ever running the Tobagon backwards, but that stuff is mostly dirt if I am not mistaken, mud tires won’t help you a bit there unless it is muddy.

Don’t spend a lot on 33” tires; you will want 35” tires soon anyway.

Old 07-23-2001, 05:13 PM

Blaine,

As I drove home, doing the math in my head.. I said @#$@# thats a pretty decent price, considering it's a warrenty, tax included m&B price. Really good. Reaally good. They didn't make you a movie star for nothing. It's not who you shoot, it's who shoots at you, right? Well.. anyway.

Robert, as for the sand kicking.. well.. TO, I want to stay on 33's. To go 35's would require gearing to 4.56, better breaks, new lift.. it goes on and on and on and on. I want to stay 33's.

And both of you are making me nervous now. I was pretty sure that more aggresive tires would be the way to go. With these advisory post against it, I'm wondering if my logic was sound. Hmm..

Decisions, decisions.

R/
William
Old 07-23-2001, 08:30 PM
Reggae

Just to throw some ideas at you

Well for the price of tires you could put any locker you want at ether end of your jeep.

How about one of those Detroit thingies?

Ox locker isn’t very good, if you don’t run Hammers; and you probably won’t with 33” tires (if you value your jeep).

On Los Coyotes type of trails Ox Locker is perfect, because you don’t have to engage it before you need it, and engaging it when one of the tires already started to slip is easy. Alternatively you have a lot of dirt road before an obstacle to play with the shifter to engage the locker, where on Hammers the whole trail is an obstacle.

Or you can buy a winch.

Or you can buy 714 shares of Polaroid Corporation.

Or you can buy a sports cage reinforcement (I don’t remember if you already got it).

Did I mention that you have a low rider jeep with a slammed transfer case skid?

Or you could put money to a savings account, and start airing down to 8 PSI.

Decisions, decisions… But, look at the bright side: one day you are going to die, and when you end up in Hell it will be an upgrade from all this.

Old 07-24-2001, 05:46 AM

TO,

I'll have money enough to get install the SYE, some window work, and tires.. with enough left over to update some of my skids, and maybee, do a detroit in the rear. LCIR is fun, but I'm beggining to like the rocks like Big Bear has. I dunno. It'd be 1k to do all five tires. The logic is a I'll have tires that would last me another 30k if I used them only for street. And who knows how long other tires would last if I only used them off road.

I'd like to do the Hammers one day. But, if 35" tires are required.. then I guess I'm out. 35's require way to much work for my budget anytime soon.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-24-2001, 08:29 AM
Reggae

It’s not like they are required. Axle Jack had run the toughest Hammer trails with 33” tires. But he is mean to his jeep and he has his own axle shop… You will certainly bang a whole a lot more on your jeep with 33s than you would with 35s…

It sounds like you are already determined to get new tires. We are just trying to warn you, so that you do not get disappointed when you do not feel any substantial difference after the upgrade.

Old 07-24-2001, 08:36 AM

I actually do see your point. I'm trying to talk my self out of it at this point. I guess it's more a "image" thing than anything else. Hmmff.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-24-2001, 08:41 AM

Well.

It's funny, when you can't decide how to spend your money. Logic is straining right now.. getting ready to burst!!!

Well.. reality is that I'm just not sure. My original plan was to go flat. But it seems apperent that it's not going to work well (i.e. to many ancillary problems).. There is the great locker debate, but at 2K for a full ARB install, I'm not sure that I can swallow that.

Back to the old drawing board.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-24-2001, 10:01 AM
Banned

William, I don't know the answer, but I do know that without lockers any tire can spin in the air or sit perfectly still on the ground regardless of it's aggressive tread; however with lockers all four will always, at the very least, turn. I think the BFG AT is a fine tire for most things, except mud, and with lockers it'll go d*mn near anywhere. A Jeep with BFG ATs and lockers can go over Claw Hammer (I don't remember names very well, so I don't remember the guy's name, but I saw this when with Blaine). Jeep mods, when the wallet is light, can be very confusing as to which is most important or which comes first. I personally like the idea of lockers since you're already riding on 33" tall tires, and getting LSDs front and rear made a world of difference in rutted, off camber and rocky sections of trail (as well as mud/snow, etc.).

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom