Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Reggae

Cool Seven cool tips for a cheap camera

Most of the time on this forum we talk about using sophisticated digital SLR cameras: cameras that give ultimate levels of control. This time I want to talk a little bit about cheap digital point and shoot contraptions, ones that are very capable of producing lousy pictures that you can find all over the Internet.

So, I got me one of those cheap cameras to see if I can make anything cool with it. In the process I came up with these tips that I want to share with you. As usual, I want to remind that there is more than one way to skin the cat, and if you take my advice and do the complete opposite you are probably going to get cool results as well; or hot results; or whatever. Anyway, let?s get to it.

Tip #1. For best clarity, least amount of noise, and finest details, lock the camera ISO at the numerically smallest number and never use digital zoom.

Tip #2. The look of the subject is determined by how far away you are from it, and by location of the camera. So, move around, pick the best spot; and if you have to use digital zoom to keep the look and feel you like, well go ahead and do it.

Tip #3. Even if your camera misses manual exposure mode, chances are it has exposure compensation control; so use it. For the following picture I dialed -1 stop exposure compensation for darker, moodier results and to extend dynamic range of the highlights. As a rule of thumb, dial to the plus side for lighter and to the minus side for darker.

Tip #4. Does your camera have ?Macro? or ?Closeup? mode? Great, try to use that mode together with on-camera flash for subjects that have a clearly defined pane. Position the camera parallel to that pane; the farther things on the background, the darker they will be. You can have pictures of flowers with black backgrounds if things on the background are far enough.

Tip #5. The subject is not flat, or you want a more three-dimensional look? Well, then make sure to explicitly turn the flash off. Most likely you will need a tripod, or at least the best shot selector mode if your camera has it. In this mode you hold the shutter release button to let the camera take multiple pictures and then select the sharpest one automatically. Also, practice to hold the camera steady.

Tip #7. Shoot through things. Try shooting through beer glasses (with or without beer), screen doors, a puff of cigar smoke, anything that is semi-transparent. You will be surprised how often you can get very interesting effects with this technique; moody and delicate.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up

That's some awesome info Sergey!

Not sure what it all means - but sure sounds awesome.

I think I should bring my old trusty Canon Powershot S230 ELPH over & you can give me some lessons on how to use it! I have had it for ~6 years and I'm WAY too lazy to read the manual. Plus, the manuals are written for folks who have a clue or actually understand camerology. Hmm, camerology. That's a cool word. I think I'll start using it & sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Dang, I just looked up camerology & it seems to be an actual word! Maybe there's some hope for me afterall.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S230/S23A.HTM

In all seriousness, excellent info Sergey!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 AM

I think I should just add Sergey to my list of things to take to Lake Powell in August

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff McRae
I think I should just add Sergey to my list of things to take to Lake Powell in August
How big is your houseboat?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM

what happened to tip 6?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Reggae

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
what happened to tip 6?
Tip #6. Don't let math stand in the way of your artistic expressions.