Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-19-2003, 01:00 PM

Trailer Questions -- An update before a decision

I'm about to buy a trailer and could use a couple of quick answers.

1. Trailer brakes --- Double axle, nice to have or need to have? Can the 2nd axle be added later? (nobody has a double axle brake on the lot, has to be ordered and it takes 6 weeks)

2. Ball size -- 2" or 2 5/16"? Does it really make any difference? Same issue as the trailer brakes... I can get it but do I need it?

3. Carson trailer or Az Tex? I know Carson supposed to be a little better, but is there an appreciable difference?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:59 PM

No way would I use a single axle trailer to carry a Jeep. I think it would be too squirely and God forbid if you got a blow out.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:32 PM

Not single axle. Single Axle Brakes! Still a tandem.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:22 PM

You can add the brakes to the second axle later, I never found that I really needed it with the 14' or 18' trailers with Jeep on it.
I have never had a problem with a 2" ball, as long as it is the large (1" shank?) and rated for your capacity. I am not familiar with either of those brands.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:29 PM

Re: Trailer Questions -- An update before a decision

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
1. Trailer brakes --- Double axle, nice to have or need to have? Can the 2nd axle be added later? (nobody has a double axle brake on the lot, has to be ordered and it takes 6 weeks)

Between the tailer and Jeep (plus any extras) I figure you're pushing nearly 5K gross combined weight...if not more. Depending on your tow rig, you can probably get by with single axle brakes, but I'd opt for double if you can. Many places can add the second axle brakes later if you choose to go single now.

2. Ball size -- 2" or 2 5/16"? Does it really make any difference? Same issue as the trailer brakes... I can get it but do I need it?

Ditto here...pushing 5K. That's at the limit of Class III (2" ball and 1" shank usually). So, yeah...I'd say it does make a difference. I'd opt for the big ball.

3. Carson trailer or Az Tex? I know Carson supposed to be a little better, but is there an appreciable difference?

Don't know either maker...so I can't offer comment here.

Darrell

BTW...I PM'd ya yesterday re: your lift
Old 05-20-2003, 11:14 AM

Re: Trailer Questions -- An update before a decision

Quote:

Seth,

They can add the extra brakes on the lot to a trailer in stock.... They forgot to add my extra brakes, and added them on the lot.(it was built and bought in Fontana, they build them right where I bought it) I'd also go with the 2 5/16" ball. Most 2" ball couplers on the trailer are only rated at 5,000lbs..... I know at AZ-Tex you need the 2 5/16" to make sure you get the 7,000lb rating. Carson trailers in stock on the lots only have a 2" 5,000lb coupler for a 7,000gvw trailer... go figure? Maybe no one has ever had trouble with a 2" ball/ coupler, but I like the extra margin of safety the bigger ball provides. Plus if anything ever happens, legally, you would be covered if you had an accident and your 5,000 ball and coupler were overloaded My trailer/Jeep loaded is over 5,000lbs. I can order a 2" ball with higher that a 5,000lb rating, but that doesn't fix the coupler on the trailer.

Another brand to add into the mix: Big Tex. I think they make the best trailers, but they are about $2,200 out the door instead of the 1,200 to 1,600 the others are. A buddy just picked one up, set up the same as mine, but his cost was almost $650 more! No thanks for me, but they sure are nice!

1. Get the 2 5/16" ball
2. The extra brakes will run you $150(Carson) or $145(A-Z Tex)
the extra brakes are worth it in my opinion.

Both of those guys make a good trailer. I bought an AZ just because They were nicer for the special order I wanted. Carson wouldn't do the wider trailer(82" between the fenders and no dovetail) that I needed, when I needed it. Plus the guys on the local Carson lot were idiots
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 05-20-2003, 11:30 AM

Thank you! Got any pics you could email me?

Seth@offroadmarketing.com

Thanks
Old 05-20-2003, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks
I'll try to send some tonight. BTW, I ordered my trailer, it was done in 2 weeks From AZ in Fontana.

Their number is: 909-428-8070 they also have a Vista lot: 760-597-1864, that might be closer to you.

They also have trailers like mine on the lot from time to time as well.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 05-20-2003, 11:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
i used to work in the race trailer division of an rv lot. we sold big tex along with many other brands like haulmark, TPD and whatever we could get in on trade ins. the big tex seemed to be well built. i believe they have leaf springs on them though. at least they did when i was selling them.

if i go the trailer route i will try to get torflex axles. the wheels will work independent of each other for a smoother ride and better tracking. its like a torsion bar and sort of resembles a portal axle near the wheel.

i have pulled both kinds of trailers many times and it is clear to me which axle i would choose if i had the money with that said i will probably still have to go with the big tex with the leaf springs. ..lol... um, since i don't have any money.

TORFLEX AXLE
Old 05-20-2003, 02:43 PM
ghall

Seth:
Call Mat Brock at BrockTrailer Mfg. in Bakersfield. (661) 363-5038 They make a 12' Jeep trailer with 3500 lb. axles, 4 wheel brakes, 2 5/16 ball and a tool box. It's a sweet trailer designed for caying Jeeps that is built by a Jeeper.
Garry
Old 05-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Seth,

2" ball is fine just use the solid ball mount which needs the 1 1/2" shank.

The forged style tounge hook up for the trailer is really nice and now that I've got one I would never go back. Don't remeber the exact name of it but it is really nice.

Dual axle brakes are the best way to go. Single is ok if you have an HD 3/4 ton truck.

I have to say I like the Big Tex trailers the best also. It is what I got in replace of the Carson I was selling. (the one Jeff C. has now instead of you) The construction of both are top rate but I think the Big Tex sits a little higher for going to off road events with the Jeep. I use to own a Big Tex for years and put lots of mikes on it. Loved it and that is why I went with the Big Tex this time again.

I got my latest one from Las Vegas and got a great price on it. I was passing thru, so it wasn't like I drove all the way there just for the trailer.

mark
orgs mfg
Old 05-20-2003, 07:01 PM

Just food for thought,
It is hard to go "overkill" when buying a trailer. I prefer the dual axle brakes and 2-5/16" ball.

My trailer came with #3500 axles (5-lug) and I had several wheel bearings let go on it. Granted, I've had it since 1983 and have had 4 sets of tires on it, but none the less, the bearing problems never happen at a good time.

Since then, I have dumped the wimpy axles and installed #6000 axles and 8-lug wheels (load range "E" tires). I now fly down the interstate at 75-80 with no worries of tire failure (or bearing)!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:05 PM
ghall

Seth:
One other concern, make sure it comes with quality brand name 8 ply trailer tyres. Carlisle and others like them will soon have to be replaced at your expense.
Garry
Old 05-21-2003, 06:24 AM

Ditto what Garry said. I've been through a few horse trailers over the years and almost invariably the trailer manufacturers put cheap/soft tires on. It's inconceivable they'd do that on something that carries that much weight and with shifting loads to boot.

A few years back I ran to Idaho for an Elk hunting trip and dragged my horses along (pack trip into the Sawtooth range). I had four flats before I hit McDermitt (one on the tow rig, three on the trailer). When I got to Boise I'd had enough and swapped out the last two original trailer tires. Murphy always strikes when you least expect it.

Be prepared...
Old 05-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Banned

Arrow

Seth,

My trailer has 3500# axles, 2" ball rated 10k lbs with large shank. 4 wheel brakes all around. Been traveling many miles cross country for 5 years, below I will list the problems that had which have since been corrected as of two years ago. After they were corrected I've not had anymore problems with this configuration.

I hit a truck scale and with Jeep, trailer, toolbox, etc it came in at 7,000 pounds.

1. Blown out tires galore. Got sick of this and changed out all my tires to D rated. Since then I've had no more problems other than replacing them when they get worn out. The most important thing is to keep them properly inflated at all times, don't care what rating they are, it they don't have proper air for the weight they will blow. I've seen E rated go because of this.

2. Frozen bearing while traveling on the highway on I70, lost a wheel with entire drum assembly. Luckily now one was hurt. I was told since I had greaseable buddy bearing I did not have to repack my bearings. This was BS. You still have to repack bearings no matter what at least every 7k or every year. I found this out after my ordeal. As of 2 years of doing this I've had no more bearing problems.

I'm happy with my trailer and will keep it since it's pretty set up for my current needs. If I had to do it again they only thing I would change would be to go with 6000# axles for a margin of load and safety. I'm at the borderline now with what my current axles can carry, I seem to be doing fine though as this trailer has been in use for 5 years.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks
trailer pictures

here are some pictures of my trailer...... I'll try to send an e-mail too.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the help and advice guys!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
trailer pictures

here are some pictures of my trailer...... I'll try to send an e-mail too.
The best thing about the trailer pictures is the side/back yard it is parked in. I wish I had that size of a yard! But not when it came to MOW time.

mark
orgs mfg
Old 05-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Banned

Seth,

Forgot, one nice optional feature you can add if your having it built. Add an extended tongue. I have this, it will give you more support (it's beefy). The best part that I like about it is... when I make tight turns, it will have a hell of a lot more clearance from hitting the truck, rv, motorhome or whatever you might have.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:45 PM

I made a decision and placed an order.

I ordered a 16'er with dual axle brakes, open deck, 83" wide, double spare tires, no dove tail and the 2 5/16" coupler.

I get to pick it up next week.

Oh and its white!

Seth (Thanks)
Old 05-21-2003, 04:50 PM

Seth,

Congrats...sounds like a nice unit and should serve you well.

Just check those tires to ensure they are decent quality. Post some pics after you pick it up.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hinkley
The best thing about the trailer pictures is the side/back yard it is parked in. I wish I had that size of a yard! But not when it came to MOW time.

mark
orgs mfg
My yard has a lot of grass to mow! And a lot of parking
Pictures if anyone is interested!
Most of the back yard

Front yard

Rv parking

Rv parking almost done!

Mowing my yard is no problem though, it's almost as much fun as going wheeling
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 05-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
Mowing my yard is no problem though, it's almost as much fun as going wheeling
That's cheating the fun way!

mark
orgs mfg
Old 05-21-2003, 06:21 PM

So, does the Deere have a ball attached for jockeying the trailer around?

My yard is roughly 2.5 Sq/Ft , but I'm looking for an old cheap rider jut to pull the trailer (empty) out to where I can hook up to the RV.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:50 AM

Quinn,

I have two back yards. One for the kids, and one for, well, the weeds for now. An eventual three bay shop and game room will be on my back lot:

It has an easement road on the back side, so it will have EASY RV access. Actually already does.

Then my kids yard:

And still my patio:

That's the one major benefit to living in Riverside county. My lot is .66 acres. I need one of your riding lawn mowers though. Sucks having to mow my yard every two weeks with a push mower!
Old 05-22-2003, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepincj7
Quinn,

I have two back yards. One for the kids, and one for, well, the weeds for now. An eventual three bay shop and game room will be on my back lot:

It has an easement road on the back side, so it will have EASY RV access. Actually already does.

Then my kids yard:

And still my patio:

That's the one major benefit to living in Riverside county. My lot is .66 acres. I need one of your riding lawn mowers though. Sucks having to mow my yard every two weeks with a push mower!

You do need a riding mower!!! I would never have time to mow all that with a push mower! Our lot is only 1/2 acre I might get a shop back there someday! I love living in Riverside County, and will never go back to OC...... Geees our house in OC would run a small fortune, if you can still find a half acre lot there. That's why we moved here in the first place, big house, big lot, room for toys! Our property values are going through the roof here too. I've doubled my money on my house in 3 years
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 05-22-2003, 01:25 PM

Riverside/Elsinore/Corona = IE (Inland Empire or sometimes referred to as "the 909" by OC Snobs)

IE = very hot

My fragile constitution can barley take working out here - I've got to stay on the ocean side of the hills.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

"The 9-0-9", "Home of the Mullet", "Valley of the Dirt People", "Home of the Meth Lab" ... Kevin & Bean on KROQ in LA have been harassing the 909 for years. Here's a website of a group fighting back.

http://www.909pride.com/