Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-19-2001, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Special place we have here

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that we are in a special place. It is full of great people that have unique and wonderful talents. Per capita, there is not a board out there that comes even close.

This is why it is important to keep some of the information you find here to yourself. If it gets splattered all over the rest of the net under any guise, then before long the well of information will dry up.

I for one, feel comfortable enough here to share a lot of stuff with you all that I don't think others need to know, or will understand. That is what makes this place special to me. I can be myself here. Please don't screw that up.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:11 PM
Reggae

It is a little miracle how a number of truly wonderful people come here every day and create such warm and friendly environment. I for one will put every effort to keep the community in the best shape.

Protection of information is a very sensitive issue especially when mixed with such “Free for All” media as Internet. However JeepBBS is not a “Free for All “ community nor it is trying to be. JeepBBS is a not for profit entity whose number one goal is to provide jeepers with information infrastructure as well as place for jeep friends to hang out. Jeepers is the topmost priority of JeepBBS.com

If any one of you has any ideas on how to expand the fences around our community, please share. Just to give you some examples. As you probably already know there is “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” section; only registered users can get in there. We can also set up special security groups with proprietary privileges. For example, new members would be given access only to a handful of forums, and then “voted in” for full rights. We can develop our own set of conditions rules and regulations and have users sign it, before they receive member privileges. Possibilities are endless.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-19-2001, 06:21 PM

That's neat to know

I worry about inviting people because of just such reasons. It's like having a pool and giving the key to the gate to your friends: you hope that you don't get to friendly with it.. to come home and find something funny floating around in it.

So for the most part, I'll leave the recruiting to the others here. I'd say I trust everyone's judgement.. but we do have the pimp in here!

I am doing this from home.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:04 PM
Banned

Yeah, please don't screw that up

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom

Edit: I didn't see the 'dumbest' post until after I saw this one, now I understand...

[This message was edited by Ace! on July 19, 2001 at 10:29 PM.]
Old 07-19-2001, 11:14 PM

Despite the pointless JU (Hummer versus Jeep) thread referenced elsewhere, I sincerely hope most of the above was intended as tongue in cheek, because if not, I've got a response that would no doubt get me voted off the island posthaste.
?
Old 07-20-2001, 05:05 AM

I was just teasing the pimp with that. The pimp and I trade shots often, but it's a no harm no foul and we don't cry with hurt feelings. Alan is an OK guy!

But one thing is about the thread that isn't really so dumb: it proves a lot of points. Many people there don't have a sense of humour, and many are "out to get" others.. in that they kind of look for post by certian people and then make a hard effort at antogonizing them.

I am doing this from home.
Old 07-20-2001, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the explanation William ... but actually my observations were not aimed at your post. In any regard, if we have such a "special place" here, I guess I don't understand the logic (or expenditure of time and energy) to observe or join in on pointless threads on JU and then come back over here trying to indicate in essence how ridiculous "they" are, and how great "we" are. I could say a lot more (and was frankly prepared to do so last night), but like I indicated, my comments would no doubt not be appreciated on this subject matter. So I'll just leave it at that.

2000 green Sahara, auto, TeraFlex S3T lift, TeraFlex UCA's & LCA's, TeraFlex front/rear track bars, Edelbrock IAS shocks with TeraFlex rear shock relocators, 4.56 gears, Detroit TrueTrac in D30/Dana TracLok in D44, Advance Adapters SYE, TeraFlex HD rear d riveshaft, 1" Daystar body lift, 1" Metcalf MM's, TeraFlex Belly-Up crossmember, Good Year 33x12.50 MT/R's mounted on Mickey Thompson 15x8 Challenger wheels, Car Sound cat, Flowmaster 50 muffler, and 2.5" exhaust piping. In boxes in the garage
Old 07-20-2001, 06:19 AM
Banned

Blaine, Sergey,

You bring up excellent points. Things can actually be discussed on a private level "hoping" that word does not carry far enough so that 2 million people are aware of it.

Discussions with regards to our sport that some of us know that will happen, or not happen in the future, would be neat if we can all discuss them without the information leaving the room. There are certain things that we are all exposed to that it would be neat to share, but don't, due to the sensitivity of information and protection of our friends.

Even with all the security there is never a guarantee. If you look at the number of posting that I do on other forums it's not very much. I usually get to the point of what I'm trying to say according to what I have personally experienced. I do have to admit that due to the number of people, names that I see here, most I've met, some I have not, comments, honesty, healthy direct humor, respect, is why I post here per capita more than I've posted in any board (this includes fun and useless stuff that I have never attempted before). Those of you who know Dolly and I personally know how we really are.

I would like to see a special room to discuss such things, the room will have to be password entry. Real names of screen names listed somewhere for every member that is allowed inside to be able to see. Every member in that room must agree and vote who will be a new member of that room and have him sign a type of nondisclosure agreement.

I want to say that these are only my ideas that are not full proof. I would then feel a bit more at ease in entering sensitive discussions. It is good to have ideas from everyone to improve our sport, no matter how insignificant they may be. Some of us are more mechanically incline than others and as long as there is respect, there should be no peer pressure to anyone in coming out with an idea or an opinion on what they might be able to contribute.

I personally will not feel hurt or offended if I do not get voted into this room (just giving suggestions to the ones that will be members). It is just as nice for me to be able to post on the general forums and be myself at times with some of the people I know. I can understand how sensitive information being let out can hurt or ruin friendly relationships. I place a great deal of value in some of these relationships that I personally have acquired all these years.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 07-20-2001, 10:21 AM

I still hit and post on JU and Pirate, 98% of it is drivel, but I've learned a lot from them the last year or so, got some great deals, met some great people (and some idiots).

But I agree that certian things are nice to have in a small group that realizes that a post is not always a brag or an attack on their belief (that is always right).

And it would be nice to have a place to discuss certian things privately with the agreement (with all parties that have access) that nothing would leave the group.

But you all know there's only one way to REALLY keep a secret. So common sense would have to be used.

2000 TJ 4.0L, A/T, all factory options.
Jeep Rater Score 360
http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 07-20-2001, 10:44 AM

I don't necessarily think its a matter of how great "we" are and how pointless "they" are. I think its more a matter of people taking themselves way too serious on other boards and the JU organizational efforts to move away from a free flowing format (ie moderators and the balkinzation of the SWB forum).

My view about hanging out over here (and originally why I started with the Jeep+Willys newsgroup and moved to JU) is the fact that when it all comes down to it, this (hanging out on the net) is interactive entertainment. Yes, you might learn some tech, find out about a wheeling place, have your knowledge challenged, meet some friends and get flammed. That is all part of hanging out on the net so my view is that people should learn to deal with it. I do not need to hang around somebody who takes criticism of their lift personally, or else can't stick up for themselves and requires a board moderator to do it for them. There are a few of us over here who feel the same way. Yes, I ocassionally pick on JU - its no big deal to me, especially when you are dealing with someone who doesn't get it. Read the Teraflex Lies and Corruption thread on JU to see what I mean - Ol' Bart from that thread will never be invited here

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 07-20-2001, 10:57 AM
Banned

Actually Robert, I'm Bart from JU, and I've been Harry for about one and a half years (it was someone else for a while before me), although I sold my Jeep (euphemism for allowing someone else to use the name). And by the way, Blaine, I told you so (about the JU Tera post) that it would turn into something a lot different that a Mark/Schling issue. Most people on JU can't handle a simple issue, and if you throw anything, anything different into the mix you end up with 70+ posts that have no relevance to the original issue.

Can I ask though, what the f*ck is balkanization? Why do you people insist on using such big words!

I actually took Blaine's post here a little personal. I thought we already knew who we are and what was expected. I don't think most of us need to be told where we are or what's expected, but I do understand what he was saying, or maybe I just don't get it

Really though, if the info here is not to be shared I think that should be stated in the post (and that we're all old enough and trusted enough to respect that, or should get the boot), or there shouldn't be people here you don't trust.

Old 07-20-2001, 11:46 AM
Reggae

The word balkanization dates back into the period after the First World War, where it dealt with the Balkan Peninsula. It basically means to break up into smaller and often hostile units.

I have a feeling that what Mr. Blaine referred to is taking the information out of here (rumored selling of a jeep), and throwing it into the JU crowd to start a flame war.

I don’t know, it is certainly hard to expect everyone here to be perfect; but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t try to be faultless.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-20-2001, 12:06 PM

I look at it like this:

I keep information here confidential.

From here, I can get information from several trusted sources. People that know the stuff they are talking about. And most everyone here I've met so I consider them friends. I don't have many friends.

On JU, it's entertainment. But, it's gone a little past that sometimes. I had one member call my old Boss at work to "talk to me" about my dealings with a certian member there. Maybee not directly, maybee through friends, I'll never know. That was improper. I've been lambasted for finding something somewhat offensive. And I've had my post targetted for deletion, unfairly, and had my post watched for deletion. I brought a fair extent of it on me. But the other part was not.

It's hard to communicate via JU to friends. And many times, inoccent questions become battle lines between waring factions.

I'd say, that, the priveledge of coming here, is knowing that I can post answers to questions like the cooling thread here, and be told that I'm right or wrong. And not have some flame war erupt with people calling my self and my friends homosexuals, idiots or etc.

By having the privledge to come here, I can see people have different opinions, and it be ok. We can joke, and no one gets offended. And we can confront Robert with his obsesive compulsive disorder about having a spotless shiny jeep.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-20-2001, 12:25 PM
Banned

Thanks TO, that's what I get for getting a degree in political science with emphasis in law and international politics, instead of something useful (that means I knew what balkanization meant; I was funnin', as opposed to being truly funny).

Old 07-20-2001, 12:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William:
And we can confront Robert with his obsesive compulsive disorder about having a spotless shiny jeep.[/quote]

Hay Willie,
Any trees come out to bite you lately? How about any roadkill - I hear you have a good recipe for flattened cat Don't throw rocks at me boy, I'll chuck em right back at ya

98 TJ Sport
Old 07-20-2001, 01:50 PM

Ya know even with out any of the TOP SECRET info I would be here daily it is not everywhere you can find people that will admit their screwups and point you in a good direction.

I always thought that what is said here stayes here as it should be with any group of friends.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 07-20-2001, 04:30 PM

Well there Bobbie,

I wouldn't ever go so low as to mention how you did a reverse Moses and parted the Desert to find water deep enough to swallow your Jeep in to the gas tank filler, flooding the interior or exterior in the process... all about 10 minutes before New Years so that you had to be yanked out and haul tail back before we missed out on midnight.. Nope. Wouldn't go that low. Not me.

Hmm.. I wonder if there will be any windows in our Glass houses after this will be done!
Old 07-20-2001, 04:33 PM

(Waiting for Sean to bring up the munched fender and the wedge between two rocks 2 hour recovery ordeal in Sandstone Canyon.)

I better quite while I'm behind. I think there's a lot of William did's out there that could collectively shun me into hiding.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-20-2001, 05:18 PM

ROTFLMAO

a reverse Moses

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 07-23-2001, 06:15 AM

Well, Robert has yet to hear this little tid bit as yet..

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-23-2001, 08:45 AM

Reverse moses - I like that one Nobody but me could find a mud hole out in the desert and sink his Jeep up past the flares in it but me. You also forgot the fact that I put the Jeep over on its side and bent my trackbar on the same trip

98 TJ Sport