Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-09-2003, 05:41 PM

Talking Today "History" happened.

I am sure that all have seen the video footage. For "us" it was a proud moment, for the people of Baghdad and all of Iraq it was the greatest day in their lives.

No matter what happens from this point onward, April 9 will be Iraqi Independence Day. There may be much more fighting to come, but this was the decisive day in the view of the Iraqi people. Today was the day that THEY came to believe that they will be free.

Tommorrow they may hate us, or next week, or 50 years from now. But they shall never forget this day, and they will always remember that it was the U.S. that paid in blood for their freedom.

As far as I am concerned they owe us nothing, just as the french owe us nothing for WWII. We do these things because the American people believe that it is right and just to do so. I just hope that the people of Iraq will come to feel as we do and will become a force of Freedom and Democracy in the world, unlike the french.

As for the historic footage of saddam's likeness being torn down today, I have never been more proud of my USMC bretheren. They held back and allowed the people to try, allowing the people of Baghdad to assert their independence, and then lent a "hand" in order to cement that independence.

As for the dias of the image of saddam, I for one believe it should be left intact. A simple spiral staircase should be added. Such a thing would serve not only as a reminder of what was, but also allow all Iraqis to declare that they control their own destiny now. Simply climb the stair to the top of the dias, and say to oneself and all the world "Who rules Iraq? ... "I DO!"

To those who have served in this conflict. To serve in so noble a purpose is a great thing. You have served your Country, the Iraqi people, and indeed all the world and you have done so VERY WELL. You are great men and your deeds shall live on long after you have passed.

To those who have given their lives, Peace. For as all Marines know: Peace is province of fallen heros, for the living it is only a dream.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:13 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Well Said,

Frank
Old 04-09-2003, 07:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Nice.