Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-07-2020, 10:57 AM

Hello everyone

I just had a bout of nostalgia. I've been talking with some friends who are planning on getting new jeeps, and I've been in contact with some old friends here or there from this board. Jeff recently sent me a link to the write up and vids from the 2009 JV trip which was a blast from the past.

In any case, I decided to come here myself just to post a message and say hello. Reading the write up and watching the video, I have to say, that time period, wheeling with all you crazy cats out in JV was about some of the most fun adventuring I have done to date.

I do admit that I kind of miss it. Well maybe, if I'm being honest, I miss the camaraderie, test of skills and maybe in reality the "idea" of it. I do not have the time, patience or inclination to really deal with all the "other" (like repairs, downtime, ordering parts, upgrades, etc) that comes with wheeling trails like those in JV.

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing? Maybe anyone who sees this post could also check in and post a hello? Maybe with an update what has been going on and what you have been up to in the last 10 years or so?

I'm sure most of you know I sold the green TJ. I ended up buying a 4 door Rubicon JKU. It's basically still stock, with a slight lift and 33s. It's more of a road trip, camping, exploration rig. I did actually take it moderate offroading a few months ago for the first time. I will say it was somewhat of a trial by fire as I hadn't really wheeled anything remotely hard driving stick before that. I had to learn quick how to deal with driving manual off-road with lockers and such. Once i realized you leave it in first and 4 low and drive it like an auto it basically smoothed out for me. I will say, driving auto offroad is just more simple. It's much easier to modulate your crawl rate or giving it a bit more gas. Or maybe I need more practice with stick.

It was a good time. I'm going to see about trying to finally get out to MOAB. I want to drive MOAB badly. That is for sure next on my list. Nothing hard, just driving around and checking out the scene.

My favorite thing I've done so far with the 4-door was my son and I took a road trip and circled the Siearras North along the the west side, back down on the east side with a cross over by the pass that is after Calaveras Big Trees state park. I really enjoyed that.

That's about the summary of the jeeping side of things. I'm a little bit older, a little bit fatter, a little bit grayer and I have a little bit less hair. My kids (and this is mind boggling to think about) who were being born during the time period I started wheeling are now ranging from 12 to about 18. Time goes quick.

Well maybe some of you will see this. I'd be nice to know what everyone is up to. Alternatively, I was thinking maybe we could start an JeepBBS crew nostalgia group on something like whatsapp. That might actually be easier to keep on top of if people just wanted to post quick messages.

I hope everyone is well and still at least getting out every once in awhile in their Jeep.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:16 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Shalom,

So good to see a message from you. It is awesome you decided to check in.

I still have the same TJ; it is at parents' garage. If I take the jeep out once a year, it is already an accomplishment. Got a condo and a wife a couple of years ago; in addition to the biotech company job I now also contract for a large financial company. My brother is getting married at the end of the month; naturally, I will be the best men.

I miss you all very much.

Sergey

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 03-08-2020, 02:12 PM

Once a year sounds about right..... Happy to hear you are doing well. I feel like we need to some how orchestrate a JEEPBBS get together at some point. Probably a night or two of camping out in JV would be ambitious, leaving aside the wheeling even, but maybe we could all meet somewhere in the middle just to say hello one Sunday. Maybe a get together in the old neighborhood down in Dana Point or something?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
If I take the jeep out once a year, it is already an accomplishment.
shoot, that's better than our TJ, it's been over a year since my last trip to Texas for work. So it just sits at a buddy's place
The CJ7 in Holland gets 'used' more often, but barely hits the 500 miles a year mark, so it's mostly to get to and from the river to take a walk/hike and to drive around town with the kids in nice weather

Missing y'all and the fun at JV, stay safe and healthy with all the current 'stuff' going on.
Greetings from Holland,

Tim, Jan, Janneke and Ron
Old 04-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Reggae

Cool

How things change. Sitting home for lost the count how many weeks. LOL

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 04-29-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
How things change. Sitting home for lost the count how many weeks. LOL
No joke. Weird times.

On the plus side, I have had some very nice drives in the jeep due to the lack of traffic. Drives that are normally a pain in LA that otherwise would be extremely picturesque.

Now, with out the traffic, they can actually be enjoyed. Might as well have at least one silver lining to the whole city being shut down.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:19 PM

Great to see familiar names I don't know why I stopped by here but cool to see this. Like you guys not much wheeling for me, we have two little girls aged 5 and 2 so priorities shifted a bit.

>> I'm a little bit older, a little bit fatter, a little bit grayer and I have a little bit less hair

Me but to a bit more of an extreme
Old 08-24-2020, 01:33 PM

It's kind of fun to see everyone slowly post here. I guess we all check every couple of years. If you'll believe it I actually managed to get out and wheel a bit. I managed to get out to Kennedy Meadows to do the Monache trail, which I never have done before. That's a fun, beautiful trail.

That's about the sum total of my Jeeping excitement (besides going to the beach or a hardware store) for this year.

It was really nice to be out though. Camping actually felt normal.

Congrats on the kids Art!. I hadn't heard that you were a dad. Or maybe I did the last time we talked whenever that was and I forgot.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:52 AM

Hey Shalom,
I was bored playing teacher and decided to check the BBS. Too funny.
Hi to all you other guys that happen upon this, I hope everyone is healthy and doing fine.
I am fine like a good wine, just don't count the glasses and receding hairline.

Shalom, Myself and a couple other guys did a 3 day run through Death Valley a couple weeks ago. It was a real good time even though I had some mechanical issues on the trail. As we were talking we realized that the News-Group run to DV was 20 years ago. Thats right 20 years !.! LoL
The big difference is that it took me 2 days to recover from bouncing around for 788 miles in the old CJ.

Anyway thought I would say HI and share.
Bruce

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 06-09-2023, 02:42 PM

Hello Shalom,

I too rarely check in here. Lots of good times with dear friends from this board.

I moved from San Diego to King George, Virgina in 2014 for a year due to a work opportunity.

And now I'm in the Patuxent River area of Maryland since Feb 2015 and moved to Maryland due to another work opportunity. I now work in DC but still live in southern Maryland.