Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-29-2003, 06:09 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
How much of the land that is beig lost to fire in Cali...

was areas for wheeling? I keep hearing about the Big Bear area and someone mentioned the Los Coyotes area but I was wondering how much land now probably won't be able to be used for a long time.

Have you lost any prime wheeling spots?

I was thinking about the Colorado fires from a few years ago and there is one pass that was torched and has to remain closed for something like 5 years to allow some of the vegetation back.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Re: How much of the land that is beig lost to fire in Cali...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer
was areas for wheeling? I keep hearing about the Big Bear area and someone mentioned the Los Coyotes area but I was wondering how much land now probably won't be able to be used for a long time.

Have you lost any prime wheeling spots?

I was thinking about the Colorado fires from a few years ago and there is one pass that was torched and has to remain closed for something like 5 years to allow some of the vegetation back.
rocks don't burn.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:44 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Re: Re: How much of the land that is beig lost to fire in Cali...

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
rocks don't burn.
Very true, but seeing pictures from some of those trails, there appears to be some vegetation around those parts.

Hopefully this doesn't impact you guys/gals for wheeling.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:16 AM

Besides the loss of vegetation, flooding during future rains will have a huge impact on the trail.

Fred and I ran Charouleau Gap (4 to 4.5 rated trail north of Tucson) a few weekends ago, and it changed tremendously after the big fire on Mt. Lemmon earlier this year (the one that wiped out the town of Summerhaven). A couple of the really fun obstacles are now much easier due to sand and dirt washing in, and one section that used to be a blast is now completely filled in - you could take a friggin' Honda Civic over it. There are a few "new" areas to play in, but I still liked it better the old way...

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-29-2003, 12:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Re: Re: Re: How much of the land that is beig lost to fire in Cali...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer
Very true, but seeing pictures from some of those trails, there appears to be some vegetation around those parts.

Hopefully this doesn't impact you guys/gals for wheeling.
Well.. the fire that is now 1/4 mile from my house, was in deep creek, which was a nice wheelin spot in my backyard.. not exactly hardcore, but fun nonetheless... but to be honest, Im not too worried about wheelin right now
Scott
Old 10-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Arizona Chick

Re: Re: Re: Re: How much of the land that is beig lost to fire in Cali...

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Well.. the fire that is now 1/4 mile from my house, was in deep creek, which was a nice wheelin spot in my backyard.. not exactly hardcore, but fun nonetheless... but to be honest, Im not too worried about wheelin right now
Scott
Completely understandable... I wish you the best.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Thanks Come to think of it. wheelin would certainly take my mind off of this, but of course, my jeep is in need of a motor
Scott