Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 PM

Question Turn my welder's main gas valve off?

When I'm done welding for a few hours or over night, I am not sure if I need to turn the main gas valve off or if the mig welder's valve inside the mig wand actuated by the trigger is leak proof enough. It's a Hobart 135 by the way.

Do you guys always shut the main gas valve off between jobs? Does it leak or not through the valve in the handle? If I'm done welding for a while I shut the main valve off but I'm just curious about those shorter intervals.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:27 AM

I don't weld much - but when I do I always try to remember to shut off the tank valve because I know I have lost some gases between welding jobs.

Take a look at what Miller has to say on the top of page 6 of 64, or the top of page OM-1327 page 2 (same place depending on how you view it)

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1327q_mil.pdf
Old 01-01-2007, 03:59 AM

Re: Turn my welder's main gas valve off?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
When I'm done welding for a few hours or over night, I am not sure if I need to turn the main gas valve off or if the mig welder's valve inside the mig wand actuated by the trigger is leak proof enough. It's a Hobart 135 by the way.

Do you guys always shut the main gas valve off between jobs? Does it leak or not through the valve in the handle? If I'm done welding for a while I shut the main valve off but I'm just curious about those shorter intervals.
Turn it off.

Unless you like paying for wasted gas.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 AM

I turn mine off unless I will be using it within 10 minutes or so.
Same with cutting torch bottles.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:26 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

yup... i turn mine off too.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 01-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Good enough for me, off it will be. And Joe, thanks for posting that Miller manual page, that says it all. My dog who sleeps in the garage thanks you too. Thanks guys.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Re: Turn my welder's main gas valve off?

Quote:

Why don't you find out if the solenoid valve and hoses leak? It's real easy to do.

Turn off the bottle valve. Watch the gauge on the high pressure side for a few minutes, 10 or so. Open the bottle valve again. If the high side needle bumps back up, you have a leak, small or otherwise and you can make your own determination as to how much gas you want to waste from there.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Re: Re: Turn my welder's main gas valve off?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Why don't you find out if the solenoid valve and hoses leak? It's real easy to do.

Turn off the bottle valve. Watch the gauge on the high pressure side for a few minutes, 10 or so. Open the bottle valve again. If the high side needle bumps back up, you have a leak, small or otherwise and you can make your own determination as to how much gas you want to waste from there.
Hey good idea. I did just that and yep, there's a small leak somewhere. Not big enough to worry about, I'll just make sure the valve is turned off right away each time. Thanks Blaine, your suggestion was one of those "why didn't I think of that myself" eureka moments.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Turn my welder's main gas valve off?

Quote:
Hey good idea. I did just that and yep, there's a small leak somewhere. Not big enough to worry about, I'll just make sure the valve is turned off right away each time. Thanks Blaine, your suggestion was one of those "why didn't I think of that myself" eureka moments.
Now take a wrench to the regulator stem nut and loosen it, rotate the regulator slightly and re-tighten it. 99 times out of a 100, it is a small imperfection on the seat and or cone that is leaking and re-tightening will stop it.

I can leave my Miller unattended for weeks at a time and it won't leak down if I make sure the regulator isn't leaking at the stem.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Re: Re: Turn my welder's main gas valve off?

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
Turn it off.

Unless you like paying for wasted gas.
And contributing to global warming.

Enter Robert's comment here:

Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turn my welder's main gas valve off?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Now take a wrench to the regulator stem nut and loosen it, rotate the regulator slightly and re-tighten it. 99 times out of a 100, it is a small imperfection on the seat and or cone that is leaking and re-tightening will stop it.

I can leave my Miller unattended for weeks at a time and it won't leak down if I make sure the regulator isn't leaking at the stem.
Good idea, that sounds like getting a grain of sand on the o-ring between my scuba tank and first stage. I'll try that this week, thanks for the good ideas Blaine.