Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 PM

Good to hear everyone is coming out of this ok.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 PM

Geez ... sorry for coming into all of this so late. Bottom-line, it's really great to hear that everyone has faired well so far (strained nerves notwithstanding). I was born in San Diego and grew up in Del Mar before moving up to the LA area, so I am generally well acquainted with the areas involved in southern California. Even though we live in Utah now, my wife and I have been following the fires very closely as we have a number of relatives in or about the affected areas. Best wishes and continued good luck to all!

Don
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 AM

Matt, glad to hear that your home survived. If it wasn't for all of the smoke, I think I would take a deep breath. I have started to unload my van, but slowly. My wife returned to work this morning. Things seem to be returning to normal. This board provided more support than many will know.

Fred
Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 PM

We've been watching and hoping for the best from here. That's a lot of uncertainty for several days. Seems the media wasn't really on top of the reality of all the fire locations? Glad to see everyone seems to have gotten by.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks for hosting the pics Erik.

This pic shows just how small the town of Del Dios is. The shore on the upper edge of the lake is the entire town. The town only has about 100 homes, mostly built in the 1920's, and at least 30 burned to the ground

The North 1/3rd (right upper shore) is pretty badly burnt. I live in about the middle of the pic. The burnt foreground is park land.

Sounds like we may be able to get back into our home this weekend
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 PM

VERY happy for you and your family Matt. Get your rest - you deserve it. I know it's been nerveracking and stressful for many folks here.

Lets not forget those who are still fighting these fires and those who are dislocated/evacuees. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Two of my coworkers I believe are back in their homes tonight, or by tomorrow. One lives close to you, in a remote area of Escondido, and the other in Fallbrook.

All is quiet here. The air quality is improving and temperatures have dropped.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Reggae

Bad news slowly trickles in, as I start to hear from more people. My dad?s boss lost his house. Our DHL delivery guy lost his house.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 AM

This was posted on the JA forum of another jeeper coming home from evac. To thumbs up to the fire fighters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYrtmWsc_g
Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Thumbs up

My wife & I were having dinner in Chili's in Escondido where we live last night when we heard a loud deafening applause & cheering starting in the rear of the restaurant and coming our direction. Escondido is where most of the fire departments were staged & where President Bush visited.

At first, I just thought it was another loud "Happy Happy Birthday" that usually bug me to no end, especially since the restaurant was already especially noisy last night. It turned out the ovation was for 30-40 fire fighters as they walked through the restaurant on their way out after having had dinner. When I stood up to applaud with everyone else, you could see from their shoulder patches they were from all over the US. The firefighters looked a little embarassed but it felt good to give those guys a nice round of heartfelt & LOUD applause to show our appreciation. It was very cool to do that for them.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
So Matt, do you know the gal from Del Dios whose nudey pic was shown on the news? Reporter was sifting through photos in a pile of ashes and flipped one over only to reveal a very private moment on live tv :P
Old 10-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Here is the map of lost houses in Running Springs

Houses lost in Running Springs

and the latest map of where the fire has gone.

Fire Map

Luckily my house is still safe but there has been 201 houses lost in Running Springs so far and more are being threatened.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Scott, I hope things continue to look up for you. So much loss, its hard to fathom.

Even amongst all the burnt out homes here in DelDios, there are banners and signs everywhere thanking the firefighters. All around my property are signs that a substantial fight took place. These fire fighters were from Sacramento area, yet it's very clear they gave all they could to save our homes. I wish there was some way I could meet and thank every one of them.

Vern and Jerry, very touching.

Adam, that footage from Shawn Styles (Chanel 8) was right in my neighborhood. We were on pins and needles watching the blow by blow from his reporting. Yes I saw the topless pic of Ruby (singer of Ruby and the Red Hots). I laughed so hard I started crying - I REALLY needed that break from what was going on. Not many people caught it (he flipped the pic FAST) but I sure saw it

Spent the day cleaning ash from the house and watering all the new landscape that was planted just prior to evacuating, odd mix of fealings knowing the neighbors are sifting through the ashes of their homes
Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Casey and I have a ton of clothes left over from a yard sale, what do you think is the best bet for donations? Red Cross? Local drop points? Her stuff is pretty nice, mine is...used, but I guess if you've got nothing for the time being it oughta be nice, couple jackets and lots of shirts and some jeans....
Old 10-27-2007, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My wife & I were having dinner in Chili's in Escondido where we live last night when we heard a loud deafening applause & cheering starting in the rear of the restaurant and coming our direction. Escondido is where most of the fire departments were staged & where President Bush visited.

At first, I just thought it was another loud "Happy Happy Birthday" that usually bug me to no end, especially since the restaurant was already especially noisy last night. It turned out the ovation was for 30-40 fire fighters as they walked through the restaurant on their way out after having had dinner. When I stood up to applaud with everyone else, you could see from their shoulder patches they were from all over the US. The firefighters looked a little embarassed but it felt good to give those guys a nice round of heartfelt & LOUD applause to show our appreciation. It was very cool to do that for them.
That's awesome! I especially like the CHILI'S part of it too!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:32 AM

Some dips**t on Pirate tried ragging on the inmate firefighters. Asking why they don't get made to help out more often, and HTF they get PAID to do this.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625106

He didn't last very long, got shot down in flames. Mainly by me.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM

Well good new for a change my house is still there according to all the lists and I get to go and check it tomorrow and clean the refrigerator out then we can return home on Thursday.

Thursday morning at 6 am they are changing the evacuation order back to voluntary , but for 37 families just in my neighborhood are not a lucky as we are and no longer have a house to return to.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM

That's excellent news for you Scott - happy to hear you've got a home to go back to.