Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 01-19-2006, 04:13 PM

Tubing & Cages

Gathering up stuff to build a cage.Going to use 1.75" DOM.What wall thickness is available(.120 ) and recommended??? Dies got here yesterday.Small ones on right are for 1" DOM that I used for tube fenders.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:33 PM

1 3/4 x .120 DOM is a very good choice. If you have a hydraulic bender and enough experience to not waste a lot of tubing then the same size tubing in 4130 chromo would be uber sweet.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by griswold
1 3/4 x .120 DOM is a very good choice. If you have a hydraulic bender and enough experience to not waste a lot of tubing then the same size tubing in 4130 chromo would be uber sweet.
Why the 4130?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Why the 4130?
Because stronger is gooder . I may be 4130 bias because that is the tubing that I just got a good deal on.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by griswold
Because stronger is gooder . I may be 4130 bias because that is the tubing that I just got a good deal on.
DOM is typically 1020 and the minimum requirements for it are 80ksi tensile with an ultimate yield of 70ksi.

4130 is typically 90ksi tensile and ultimate yield of 70ksi.

Very similar requirements and typically not worth the added expense unless you plan on heat treating the 4130.

Not applicable in your case, but may matter to others without access to good deals on 4130.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:06 PM

I,d be happy to get a good deal on 4 sticks of 1.75 DOM-Anyone here from ABQ,NM??Who has this stuff besides Metal Supermarket??
Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
See if there's a Tubular Steel or Earle M Jorgenson (sure I hacked the spelling pretty badly). They seem to sell DOM to the other yards. I got a good price at Tubular, the pricing varied by size. Some was cheaper at the other place, but another size was a lot cheaper then the other place, so it all ended up being the same price for my order.

Those dies look aweful similar to the Hossfelds I've got. Not experienced enough to know if other brands look similar though. I learned on a (recently discovered) rather expensive Parker hydraulic bender. The switch to the Hossfeld can be frustrating at times, a bit more play in everything. Need to finish hooking up the ram, had enough of the manual nonsense :P

Find a demo of Bend Tech. It's good stuff.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the tip.I have the Bend Tech EZ program-hope to put it to use soon.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Quote:
Originally posted by dirtgrip
I,d be happy to get a good deal on 4 sticks of 1.75 DOM-Anyone here from ABQ,NM??Who has this stuff besides Metal Supermarket??
choice steel in ABQ sells tube, but they sell in I think 20' sticks only, from what I remember.

Metal Supermarkets is sometimes more than others, but I sure like doing business with them...they are always so nice and easy to deal with. Plus, their scrap area often yields some way-cool stuff for little projects!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ABQ TJ
choice steel in ABQ sells tube, but they sell in I think 20' sticks only, from what I remember.

Metal Supermarkets is sometimes more than others, but I sure like doing business with them...they are always so nice and easy to deal with. Plus, their scrap area often yields some way-cool stuff for little projects!
Thanks for another "choice" for steel in ABQ.This project will probably be on hold as I,m no longer working.4 sticks of DOM seems like a lot of $$ right now.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Lucky me-just found some unexpected $$$ but my welding ability is really not up to this type of work yet.My fabbing buddy just opened up a new business & has little spare time so I,m looking for another option.Want a thru the dash cage with frame tie-ins & seat mounts. Any ideas?? Does anyone know any ABQ. area fabricators they would recommend??