Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-23-2007, 09:27 AM

Witch Creek Fire in SD, Day #2

Durning the night, the northern boundary of the evacuation zone was moved to one mile south of my home in Escondido. That's about one mile and a half south of Jerry's home. Things are quiet now, but the winds are expected to pick up about 10:00 AM for several hours. The new twist to all of this is that when the Santa Ana winds stop, and the normal on shore winds return, the fire could blow back on us if it is not under control.

So far, so good,

Fred
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM

Good to hear your okay Fred (and Jerry).

I'm near the base of Mount Miguel & watched it burn althrough the night.

They must have had some sort of perimeter set around all those broadcast antennas up there. I watched as the fire swept up the southeast face of the MT & down the other side. Eerie site to say the least.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Update:

This pic was taken from my upstairs office this morning looking towards Mt Miguel & it's antennas.

My kids Jerry & Joy have evacuated from their residence in Bonita & are safely in Scottsdale, AZ. Stupid exwife left their dog locked in the garage to die from smoke inhalation, and abandon the cat.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:39 AM

That sucks about the animals. Why wouldn't you take your animals if you could?

I'm glad to hear everyone is safe so far.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
So riddle me this:

Malibu Fire - approx 1500+ acres burned and roughly 500 homes at risk = 1700 fire fighters, 2 helicopters, and 2 fire planes.

Santiago Fire - approx 15000+ burned acres and 2000 homes at risk = 500 fire fighters and no air support. News said it was "too windy" which I can't understand since it's been "too windy" in all of So Cal.

Eat the rich....
Come on, aren't you glad that they were able to save Sean Penn and Olivia Newton John homes and that they safely evacuated Mel Gibson, Victoria Principal, and Jim Cameron? Screw the little people who lost all there posessions and have no place to go. This makes for awesome TV and an autograph or two

Same goes with the PD, they won't show up unless you are close to death, but if someone breaks a nail in Beverly Hills, they send out 20 swat cars and 5 choppers.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Reggae

They are letting the Scripps Ranch people back in. That’s good news for where I am.

A lot of my stuff is already packed in the vehicles. With a lot of time on the hands, and “what else can I save” kind of thinking, I think we pretty much packed away half of the house. Here are some more belongings to go:

If the fires continue for a couple of weeks, I think we have plenty of time to disassemble the house itself, one plank at a time, and neatly pack them all in boxes.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Just heard a report on KFWB from a guy at 3rd and Kalmia in Lake Hodges and he described a pretty grimm scene. I don't know how close that is to Matt's place, but my thoughts are with you guys.

[edit] Just heard an update and the guy was at 3rd and Juniper and it sounded bad. Although the winds had calmed, he said the fire was pretty much heading southwest towards Solano?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
They are letting the Scripps Ranch people back in. That?s good news for where I am.

A lot of my stuff is already packed in the vehicles. With a lot of time on the hands, and ?what else can I save? kind of thinking, I think we pretty much packed away half of the house. Here are some more belongings to go:

If the fires continue for a couple of weeks, I think we have plenty of time to disassemble the house itself, one plank at a time, and neatly pack them all in boxes.
How much of that is potted meat?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Erie pic!

Did someone get the animals Joe? That there just ****es me off to no end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Update:

This pic was taken from my upstairs office this morning looking towards Mt Miguel & it's antennas.

My kids Jerry & Joy have evacuated from their residence in Bonita & are safely in Scottsdale, AZ. Stupid exwife left their dog locked in the garage to die from smoke inhalation, and abandon the cat.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

Same goes with the PD, they won't show up unless you are close to death, but if someone breaks a nail in Beverly Hills, they send out 20 swat cars and 5 choppers.
To be fair, B.H. is it's own city with very high property taxes. The people living there pay to make sure that 20 swat cars and 5 choppers show up when a broken nail happens.

Aside from that, living in various spots of L.A., I really have to say that the LAPD is an equal opportunity ignorer. They don't show up no matter where you live. There are just too few officers to cover the city.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
How much of that is potted meat?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Reggae

Hey, hey, hey. Not all of that is potted meat. Some is dried meat.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Hey, hey, hey. Not all of that is potted meat. Some is dried meat.
Shalom and Sergey - that is too funny.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
Just heard a report on KFWB from a guy at 3rd and Kalmia in Lake Hodges and he described a pretty grimm scene. I don't know how close that is to Matt's place, but my thoughts are with you guys.

[edit] Just heard an update and the guy was at 3rd and Juniper and it sounded bad. Although the winds had calmed, he said the fire was pretty much heading southwest towards Solano?
I called Matt an hour ago and he had evacuated the Del Dios area he lives in which surrounds Lake Hodges on the north side. The news reports on Del Dios were not good, a number of houses had burned. I hope Matt's house is ok. Sheesh.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Man...I don't know what to say except please stay safe everyone.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM

My wife just called - the fire in our area has apparently gotten worse with the Modjeska canyon flare up. She said it is clearly visable from our street up in the foothills on the inland side of the 241. Per a map I think about 3000-4000 feet away - but in a more straight line to our track then before.

I'm going to leave work shortly and head home. My wife is very calm - I seem to be freaking - maybe because I can't see it. Normally I'm the calm one.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
My wife is very calm - I seem to be freaking - maybe because I can't see it. Normally I'm the calm one.

Jeff
Maybe it is because you keep wearing those ladies underwear? Stay safe Jeff, hope all is good with your hood and your house.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...8ac31fe3357571
AIM: Dukes69
Old 10-23-2007, 04:53 PM

All the best to you Jeff.

Our neighborhood (Rancho San Diego, near MT Miguel) got a reverse 911 call earlier today with a request for voluntary evacuations. We scurried around for a while & then got the news that it was a false alarm. Basically a glitch. However, ~2 short blocks from me it's in effect.

We're basically packed, boxes staged, truck & trailer ready to go. Jeep ready to get straped down. Things happen fast & it's better safe than sorry although we can't pack everything so fast - but most of the essentials are ready. It's a waiting game now.

The fire is almost to the bottom of that hill from the pic above. Air quality has suffered greatly.

As far as the pets go, they have other family members on her husbands side that might check on them, but have no access to the area since it's an evacuation area. Ticks me off too. The smoke in that area is very serious and blows strait down the MT into their neighborhood.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes69 View Post
Doesn't show the fire by Jeff's house.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hill View Post
we are under manditory evacuation and am heading to my father-in-law's house you can contact me if you need to at 909-895-9961

We just heard on the local radio that all areas west of the Big Bear dam are up for mandatory evacuation. Pretty much everything east of the dam (BBL, BBC, Baldwin, etc. is just waiting. Since the other fire a few weekd ago, we are looking good so far. Also a note lots of Running Springs houses are gone. Air quality is decent in Big Bear, we ar looking okay for now unless the fires come back. Right now they are going down toward highland.

Also of interest, the forrest is CLOSED to use, anything dirt up here is off limits due to the threat of Big Bear going.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 10-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Wishing you all a safe passage thru this mess. Hopefully the weather will calm down soon so things can get back under control.

BTW, is the Jeep BBS Forum going to have an issues with the fire?

zman
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

A Canadian water bomber is on its way down from BC. The Mars can pick up 7,000 gallons of water on the fly in about 25 seconds, and be back over a fire in as little as 10 minutes.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Flame Broiled is best

Quote:
My wife just called - the fire in our area has apparently gotten worse with the Modjeska canyon flare up. She said it is clearly visable from our street up in the foothills on the inland side of the 241. Per a map I think about 3000-4000 feet away - but in a more straight line to our track then before.

I'm going to leave work shortly and head home. My wife is very calm - I seem to be freaking - maybe because I can't see it. Normally I'm the calm one.

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

If you need to bring your wife and boys down our way here in San Juan Cap., you guys are more than welcome. Home # is 949-496-1769. It'll give the ladies a chance to catch up! Hope all is OK...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Things are okay here - the fire is very odd. It was burning up the hill for a while - got some good pictures from my roof.

Then it kinda came back down the hill towards the homes. There is no wind thank god and it seems that the big strip of fire retardent they laid down is keeping the fire on the hill.

It looks far scarier from my street then it does from up close (I drove up near the fire off of Los Alisos).

We've got some stuff ready and we'll head to my Mom's in Aliso Viejo. Thanks everyone for your support.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post

We're basically packed, boxes staged, truck & trailer ready to go.
Looks like where I am is no longer in danger. Joe, you and your family is welcome to stay with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
BTW, is the Jeep BBS Forum going to have an issues with the fire?
Should be all right: the primary server we are using now is not in California.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Looks like where I am is no longer in danger. Joe, you and your family is welcome to stay with us.
Do you need to get rid of some potted meat?

Quote:
Should be all right: the primary server we are using now is not in California.
If it is in New Orleans, I hope it is waterproof While we are burning, they are drowning.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Well just found out my house was still standing at about 9 am this morning this is a confirmed visual from a neighbor that did not leave until this morning. I hope that good news holds but at this point I am not holding my breath.

The main thing is my family and pets are safe.

If any one needs help getting their family out of harms way just call and I will drop everything. You can get me at 909-895-9961. I don't have a vehicle to carry much stuff but but I can carry people.

I hope everyone and their family stays safe and remember you can replace stuff you can not replace people.

Also a note of wisdom form someone who had to pack and go put the stuff in the vehicles as soon as you know you would want to take it. The fire can show up fast and you would hate to have to leave your stuff that is ready to go in the middle of the living room because of no time to put it in the car.

Be safe and take care,
Scott
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Good luck to all in harms way. My prayers are with you and your loved ones.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 AM

Hopefully you're all doing okay out there. I haven't read very much positive news in the last several hours. It really does sound like a terrible situation, I'll be thinking of you all.