Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Eureka Moment

Did you ever have one? I did today and finally solved the rear track bar binding issue that's plagued the TJ since they started building lift kits for it.

The frame side bolt tabs are smaller than the Urethane bushings everyone uses there, so a couple of things happen that contribute to bind.

One is the tabs bite into the sides of the urethane making it a not so free moving connection.

The worse one is that the axle moves forward under droop and that locks the sides of the urethane solid in the mount making it almost impossible to follow the axle and in fact, you typically have to jump on the axle to install the springs because of this.

The solution at times has been to install a rod end at the frame, but it's a poor solution because the track bar flops around and isn't controlled. A poor compromise at best.

What's needed is a joint that maintains it's lateral and vertical orientation, yet moves freely in both planes to follow the axles movement.

I finally devised such a joint and will be building it this afternoon. It's simpler than I ever thought it would be and makes me wonder why it hasn't been done yet. Or, if it has, why I've never seen it.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM

That's one thing I did like about Nth using the stock rear trac bar, the stock bar used a nice bushing that fit the mount. There wasn't that urethane bushing tearing in the mount.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM

i couldn't agree more. when working on them a few times i always thought they could be improved upon by angled/gusseted tabs that enclose a JJ on the shaft. mount the tabs an inch further forward and a little longer than stock and you can not only provide a better working angle for 3-4" lifts but maybe help clear the fuel tank skid too. can you or lawrence post pics once finished?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadna71 View Post
i couldn't agree more. when working on them a few times i always thought they could be improved upon by angled/gusseted tabs that enclose a JJ on the shaft. mount the tabs an inch further forward and a little longer than stock and you can not only provide a better working angle for 3-4" lifts but maybe help clear the fuel tank skid too. can you or lawrence post pics once finished?
They'll be up here and in Lawrence's thread. I got it all cut up, mocked up, and tacked together.

It works exactly as I envisioned it would. Kinda neat actually. It controls the trackbar from flopping around and yet let's it rotate on two planes with no end play back and forth whatsoever.

It's such a simple design that I'm not sure why I haven't seen it in production yet.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
It's such a simple design that I'm not sure why I haven't seen it in production yet.
because the world is running out of creative thinkers like you...

that's actually a really great idea, i was wondering if i was just stupid when i had to use a hi-lift to bend my gas tank skid out of the way of my track bar when i installed my lift. now i know it's not me that's the idiot (er...well..)
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM

Well...?

I am curious what you came up with...post up!

-chris
Old 02-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freak View Post
Well...?

I am curious what you came up with...post up!

-chris
Right now it's working flawlessly. I'm holding off a bit to see if I want to turn it into a product before I post up public pictures. It's far too easy to copy if I do.

I've already been burned once on a Trademark filing at the Patent office. They used me and a few friends using the term I coined on a few forums as making it too generic to trademark.

They actually sent me copies of posts in threads using my own words against me.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM

Jimmy Joint
Johnny Joint

Blainey Joint?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 PM

OK, I was just curious.

I've heard some of the stories about what you developed and had lost, so I completely understand.

Looking forward to seeing it WHENEVER you decide to let us all see.

-Chris