Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Anyone want to talk me out of getting a new Optima ?

I have had a D34/78 Yellow Top Optima in my 2000 TJ for 8 years and have had absolutely no problems with it (making it the best, or at least longest lived battery I have ever had). However, it got badly discharged several times over the winter and it now doesn't appear to be holding a charge too well. So, I've decided to pick up a new battery when I am up in Salt Lake City on Monday.

I know quite a few folks have had issues with Optima's and don't like them, and yet, others swear by them (which I guess I have to put myself in the latter group). Anyway, anyone want to talk me out of getting another Yellow Top in favor of some other high-end battery?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
I have had a D34/78 Yellow Top Optima in my 2000 TJ for 8 years and have had absolutely no problems with it (making it the best, or at least longest lived battery I have ever had). However, it got badly discharged several times over the winter and it now doesn't appear to be holding a charge too well. So, I've decided to pick up a new battery when I am up in Salt Lake City on Monday.

I know quite a few folks have had issues with Optima's and don't like them, and yet, others swear by them (which I guess I have to put myself in the latter group). Anyway, anyone want to talk me out of getting another Yellow Top in favor of some other high-end battery?
There's a reason folks hate and like Optimas. You now have increased your odds significantly of being in the opposite group you are currently a member of if you buy another one.

Personally, if I replace any automotive application battery it will be one or more of the Sears Platinum Die Hard versions. They are made by the same company as the Odyssey with a much larger range of applications and terminal configurations. Plus the warranty is outstanding if you should ever need it and even with Optima trying as hard as they can to be mainstream, I doubt you'll find one in most places before you find a Sears outlet.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
Sears Platinum. It's a little spendy, $210 OTD. However, as Blaine meantioned, the warrenty is excellent, 4 years free replacement/next 4 years pro-rated. Its also a huge plus that Sears are just about everywhere.
AIM: Dukes69
Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
There's a reason folks hate and like Optimas. You now have increased your odds significantly of being in the opposite group you are currently a member of if you buy another one.
That makes it sound like I have been lucky so far and my luck is just about to run out if I take a chance on a second Optima.

Quote:
Personally, if I replace any automotive application battery it will be one or more of the Sears Platinum Die Hard versions. They are made by the same company as the Odyssey with a much larger range of applications and terminal configurations. Plus the warranty is outstanding if you should ever need it and even with Optima trying as hard as they can to be mainstream, I doubt you'll find one in most places before you find a Sears outlet.
I was once a Die Hard battery user (years ago), but haven't gone that route in some time. Interestingly, I did a search on Optima dealers, and in addition to half a dozen in Moab, I probably got over a hundred hits in the Salt Lake City area (e.g., Autozone, NAPA, CarQuest, Big-O, Pep Boys, 4WParts, Sam's Club, etc., etc.). I am not saying that all of them have stock on all models of Optima batteries, but I was actually surprised to see so many pop up. However, as for Sears (which has been in decline for years), I wouldn't expect to see many of their outlets around (although there should be some in the SLC area).

BTW, are the Sears Platinum Die Hard batteries an AGM type battery like the Odyssey? Also, do you feel that they are as vibration resistant as Optima's?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 PM

OK ... I just did a quick search and the Sears Platinum Die Hard is an AGM type battery.

A few other questions:

1) Are you guys specifically talking about the "P-1 Platinum Automotive Battery from DieHard"?

2) I am just going to plop this in the stock battery tray. Anyone know off hand what the group size is for a battery in a 2000 TJ?

3) It's my understanding that an AGM battery is more sensitive to charge rate and maximum charge voltage than a run-of-the-mill flooded lead-acid battery. Does anything need to be done to the alternator or charging circuit to prevent any issues in this regard?

4) Is the Sears Platinum Die Hard a good battery for both starting and winching? (This was in fact the reason I originally went with a Yellow Top instead of a Red Top Optima).

Thanks,
Don
Old 04-11-2009, 12:38 PM

An AGM battery is a conventional lead-acid battery (just that its acid is in paste form that is soaked into glass matting) so it is charged and has the same charging characteristics as any other battery. You're probably thinking of gel cell batteries which are totally different, rarely used in cars, and do indeed require a different charging system due to their high internal resistance that means it has to be charged at a much lower rate.

And yes, the Diehard Platinum is entirely suitable for both starting and winching duties.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
An AGM battery is a conventional lead-acid battery (just that its acid is in paste form that is soaked into glass matting) so it is charged and has the same charging characteristics as any other battery. You're probably thinking of gel cell batteries which are totally different, rarely used in cars, and do indeed require a different charging system due to their high internal resistance that means it has to be charged at a much lower rate.

And yes, the Diehard Platinum is entirely suitable for both starting and winching duties.
Thanks Jerry. And I guess I did assume that AGM & gel cell batteries were more closely related in terms of charging sensitivity. Anyway, I am beginning to think I may be better off making the switch to the Platinum Die Hard, because with my luck, my next Optima purchase could yield a bad one that only lasts 8 months instead of 8 years.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the input & suggestions ...

OK, I pulled the trigger on a Sears Platinum Die Hard P-1 group 34 battery. After doing a lot of checking around and reading reviews (including seeing that Consumer Reports also rated that battery as superior), it just made sense to go with more of a sure bet. Even though I personally had good luck with my Optima Yellow Top, I have to admit that for every glowing report on Optimas, there seems to be at least two or three others that are tales of woe.

Anyway, when I finally decided to go this route, I was planning on getting a P-4 34/78DT battery (with both the top posts & side terminals ... which is similar to my D34/78 Optima), however, I read a few reviews of that Platinum variant that gave it a thumbs down. Some people were running into an issue where the side terminal assemblies (which do seem pretty cheap and unsupported from the on-line photos), were apparently becoming unbonded from the main top posts they emanate from and caused an intermittent reduction in current carrying capacity. Although I have never been a fan of running high-draw cables (like for winches) off of side terminals, I have nevertheless found the side terminals convenient for lower current draw needs while preventing a lot of cable & wire take off clutter from the top posts. However, since I now use mil-spec top post connectors, clutter hasn't been much of an issue with those. So, since I only have a single hot wire coming off my Optima side terminal (for an aftermarket stereo system), I will just move that up top and stick with the more straightforward top post Platinum version.

The P-1 Platinum Die Hard I purchased is in stock at the Sears auto center in SLC, so all I have to do is show up on Monday, pick it up, and be on my way.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
OK ... I just did a quick search and the Sears Platinum Die Hard is an AGM type battery.

A few other questions:

1) Are you guys specifically talking about the "P-1 Platinum Automotive Battery from DieHard"?
Yes

Quote:

2) I am just going to plop this in the stock battery tray. Anyone know off hand what the group size is for a battery in a 2000 TJ?
Nope

Quote:
3) It's my understanding that an AGM battery is more sensitive to charge rate and maximum charge voltage than a run-of-the-mill flooded lead-acid battery. Does anything need to be done to the alternator or charging circuit to prevent any issues in this regard?
Your Optima is an AGM battery. What did you do for it?

Quote:
4) Is the Sears Platinum Die Hard a good battery for both starting and winching? (This was in fact the reason I originally went with a Yellow Top instead of a Red Top Optima).
Better than most.

Quote:
Thanks,
Don
You're welcome
Old 04-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Anyone know off hand what the group size is for a battery in a 2000 TJ?
Quote:
Nope
It's turns out that it is a group 34 battery ... which I suppose I should have deduced from the "D34" portion of my D34/78 Optima model number.

Quote:
It's my understanding that an AGM battery is more sensitive to charge rate and maximum charge voltage than a run-of-the-mill flooded lead-acid battery. Does anything need to be done to the alternator or charging circuit to prevent any issues in this regard?
Quote:
Your Optima is an AGM battery. What did you do for it?
I thought someone would bring that up. Honestly, I didn't do anything since Joel at Stage West 4x4 originally put it in and I didn't think to ask. However, that was when I still had the stock 4.0L 6 cylinder engine in my TJ. Since then, I have had a Dodge Magnum 5.2L V8 and subsequently the current Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8 in it, both with different alternators. My Optima continued to work fine through all of that, so I guess it's safe to assume that it didn't matter and all was well.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Don,

You'll be happy with it. I picked mine up over a year ago and I have had no problems. Even here during the brutal winter with a full week below -20F, it always started right up after sitting all day in an open air parking lot at work. Plus, like others mentioned, there is always a Sears or 2 around the corner.