Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-27-2003, 06:25 PM

Damn!
Joe, it always amazed me when I lived in California to see a fire burning down a hill and no one paying much attention to it. I guess if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction as the fire is burning it's no big deal. Weed control. Nothing to burn on the wind side as it's already burnt. Of course if the wind shifts it becomes a big deal real quick!
Good luck to all you that are being threatened.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
That one was a cheap immitation. The real one, with blue stripes, was still in the closet. But I am not too worried, I think it was made out of matterial that doesn't burn....

KGB? Or Spetnaz?

By the way, good luck to all affected by these terrible fires . . .
Old 10-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Reggae

I am on the way home. Stopped to check out my office in Golden Triangle, it's fine. Gonna be home in 30 minutes.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Well, Ive got some bad news...
The Old Waterman canyon fire is getting out of control and has jumped the main highway, and unfortunately, my house, and my girlfriends family's house are both right in the fire path.. I would appreciate your prayers, but I am not expecting to have a house when this is all said and done. I am safe, staying with my brother at his place in riverside, and my parents are at doheney state beach in thier RV, enjoying the good life... or so it would seem... I will keep you posted as I know more.
Scott
Old 10-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Reggae

I am home. My parents really took the evacuation seriously. There is a huge pile of boxes in the living room. Looks like we just moved into the house once again. Thank you very much to everyone for support, it meant a great deal to me.

Thoughts and prayers to those who are still in danger of fire, and those who suffered
Old 10-27-2003, 11:09 PM

Sorry to read that Scott, my prayers for you and your house, your girlfriend's, and everyone else in the path of these damned fires.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Scott,

I'm so sorry, you are in my thoughts.

Sergey,

Great news!!!! I'm happy you and your job were spared. So how close did it get to you?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Thanks you guys.. I will keep you updated as I know more..
Scott
Old 10-28-2003, 08:06 AM
dennisuello

just curious, my company has an office in SD, near 805 and 52 junction. how far is it from the fires?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
just curious, my company has an office in SD, near 805 and 52 junction. how far is it from the fires?
REAL close. In fact, the 805 and 52 freeways were closed in that location for a while due to the fire.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:07 AM

Glad to hear your house made it Sergey - that is fantastic.

Scott and Scott Hill - I hope your houses fair well.

Any news from Garry Hall and the Simi situtation?

Jeff
Old 10-28-2003, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Glad to hear your house made it Sergey - that is fantastic.

Scott and Scott Hill - I hope your houses fair well.

Any news from Garry Hall and the Simi situtation?

Jeff
Garry is fine. No evacuation for him, the fire burned all the way around him.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:09 AM

Has anyone heard from Joe Dillard yet this morning?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason L Williams
Has anyone heard from Joe Dillard yet this morning?
that's what i was checking over here for. i heard the fires got pretty bad last night around him? he's usually been on one of the forums by now everyday.
prayers are with ya joe and scott.

greg
Old 10-28-2003, 01:12 PM

We're OK. Things flared up across the hwy from me last night. They've done a fine job controlling things from jumping to the north side of I-8 in my neighbornood, in the far northeast corner of El Cajon. Crest is just across the hwy from us & I know they've been hit hard. We've watch several of their homes destroyed from here.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer
So how close did it get to you?
I was very far from the fire. I did not go back to San Diego until it was safe to return.

The pool looks "a little" dirty

View from my office window. It's still smoky...
Old 10-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
View from my office window. It's still smoky...
The obligatory Mickey D's I see .... and it does look smokey.

I'm very happy you are safe.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:48 PM

Ok guys... I was at work all day... I was talking to a friend of mine today, who works for the CHP... This isn't looking good.. He was pretty honest with me. He told me that they are going to be lighting backfires into the night to keep the fire out of blue jay, because as all of us know that live up there, if it hits blue jay, the mountain is gone, and there is no way to stop the fire from spreading VERY quickly. What he told me was that they were going to give it all they've got to light backfires to try to keep the fire away, but he also told me that chances are, because the fire is so big, that it proabably won't slow it down enough to do any good I know that I am expecting to lose my place, which SUCKS, but at least everyone is safe. If I hear more from him I will post up.. Im just sorry It had to be bummer news...
Scott
Old 10-28-2003, 07:58 PM

Glad to hear your OK Scott!

But a big bummer about the info the CHP shared with you!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:02 PM

Scott,

prepare for the worst. Things can be replaced. People can't. Then if the worst doesn't happen then you can think about how lucky you are. in fact since you are out of harms way, for starters you are pretty lucky.

I hope the firefighters can get an upper hand.

temps are coming down up here in No. Cal, hopefully that will help things down south.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:40 PM

Ive also just found out that a good friend of mine that lives in Julian, a forested area near sandiego/ Los coyotes, lost his house, and his rig to the fire.. His family got out, but he left his rig behind, because he had no way of getting it out.. Im just glad to hear that he is ok.. Please pray for him..
Dan,
My family is all out, and safe.. the biggest thing is that we are safe, a home can be replaced.
Scott
Old 10-28-2003, 10:03 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
....but he also told me that chances are, because the fire is so big, that it proabably won't slow it down enough to do any good I know that I am expecting to lose my place, which SUCKS, but at least everyone is safe. If I hear more from him I will post up.. Im just sorry It had to be bummer news...
Scott
Hi Scott,

I'm extremely happy for you!

You have all you r priorities straight, your family comes first

Yet.......

Please listen to me, don't get down in the dumps on your home.

I know things don't look good for your home right now, but don't waist your energy or emotions on something you don't know for sure is going to happen.

Maybe it will happen and you have to start over, but I think the time for that is when you know you have to start over.

I guess what I am saying is I can feel your anguish as I am sure everyone here can, but hold off a bit too.

It's also possible this will not happen, you will not loose your home to the fire and all will be well, and in a few days you can take your family back to your home and get on with your lives.

God bless you my friend, you are in the prayers of many people.

Frank
Old 10-28-2003, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
Hi Scott,

I'm extremely happy for you!

You have all you r priorities straight, your family comes first

Yet.......

Please listen to me, don't get down in the dumps on your home.

I know things don't look good for your home right now, but don't waist your energy or emotions on something you don't know for sure is going to happen.

Maybe it will happen and you have to start over, but I think the time for that is when you know you have to start over.

I guess what I am saying is I can feel your anguish as I am sure everyone here can, but hold off a bit too.

It's also possible this will not happen, you will not loose your home to the fire and all will be well, and in a few days you can take your family back to your home and get on with your lives.

God bless you my friend, you are in the prayers of many people.

Frank
Frank,
Thanks for the Kind words my friend.. I am looking up.. and my chin is up. I thank you for the words. I know that it is a possibility that I could lose my home, but I also know that a home can be rebuilt. I am just happy to have my loved ones here, and I am not worried about the home. I know it very well may be saved. Which would be great. If not, it can be rebuilt. Thank you for the prayers, they are certainly appreciated
Scott
Old 10-28-2003, 11:46 PM

Thumbs up

I spoke to my ex-sister in law this evening and her and her husband had to evacuate Running Springs earlier today, also where Scott Hill and his family live. It could be good news for Running Springs... the fire that was burning up the mountain towards RS has veered off sideways now due to winds and is moving towards Mentone. And that the only other fire they might have to contend with would have to burn through Lake Arrowhead to get to them, about 8 miles or so.

So for now, things are looking up a little for Scott Hill & his family and my ex-bro/sister-in law now friends that all live in Running Springs, a small mountain town between Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I spoke to my ex-sister in law this evening and her and her husband had to evacuate Running Springs earlier today, also where Scott Hill and his family live. It could be good news for Running Springs... the fire that was burning up the mountain towards RS has veered off sideways now due to winds and is moving towards Mentone. And that the only other fire they might have to contend with would have to burn through Lake Arrowhead to get to them, about 8 miles or so.

So for now, things are looking up a little for Scott Hill & his family and my ex-bro/sister-in law now friends that all live in Running Springs, a small mountain town between Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead.
Jerry, thats great to hear, that things are looking up for thier side of the mountain.. I wish I could say the same about mine, but only time will tell...
Scott
Old 10-29-2003, 12:10 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Jerry, thats great to hear, that things are looking up for thier side of the mountain.. I wish I could say the same about mine, but only time will tell...
Scott
We're all pulling and praying for you Scott, it's a tough time you're going through and I have a feeling that things will turn out ok for you. Keep us posted, we're staying glued to the news on your area.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
We're all pulling and praying for you Scott, it's a tough time you're going through and I have a feeling that things will turn out ok for you. Keep us posted, we're staying glued to the news on your area.
Thanks Jerry.. I know things will be just fine.. it might just take a bit of rebuilding to make it happen, but who knows.. I will keep you posted if I learn more.
Scott
Old 10-29-2003, 07:25 AM

Scott it's hard to look at it this way, but if it burns, at least you'll have been able to clear out all that stuff you wanted to get rid of and couldn't.

I heard a lady say that on the news yesterday. She had lost her home, and laughed. She said that she was ok, she got her photos, and now, she'll have empty closets.

A bright side, wierd, but bright.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:07 PM

Ok, here's a few places to look at:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/an...n.1km.vis.html

(visible light bird, not much good an hour after sunset)

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/g....2055.250m.jpg

(1825 UTC on 10/28, no info on when the next shot will be posted)

http://www.rimoftheworld.net/images/...es/oldfire.jpg

1050 this morning, again I have nothing more current.

Right now (1202 at LAX) the wind (realtime) in Big Bear is W12 mph with SW gusts to 31 mph - not good. It's been building all morning, and is expected to continue through the night and tomorrow.

I'd love to be able to post real time imagery, but doubt Dad will loan me a Predator-B for the week.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:08 PM

http://a1022.g.akamai.net/f/1022/815...10/9989757.pdf

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.