Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-24-2004, 01:37 PM

PF Pads and break in

I put Performance Fabrication pads and new rotors ($16 at Olympic Brake Supply) on the front over the weekend. I didn't get a chance to drive it right away because of a bad caliper, but after replacing the caliper last night I drove it to work today.

The pedal is noticeable softer than with the stock pads/rotors. Is this normal for these until they break in a bit? I bled them and it doesn't feel like air because you can't pump them up at all and they don't fade, it just seems to take more pressure/pedal travel to operate them. At this point I can't even lock up the wheels.

Suggestions?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Re: PF Pads and break in

Quote:
Originally posted by seajeeper
I put Performance Fabrication pads and new rotors ($16 at Olympic Brake Supply) on the front over the weekend. I didn't get a chance to drive it right away because of a bad caliper, but after replacing the caliper last night I drove it to work today.

The pedal is noticeable softer than with the stock pads/rotors. Is this normal for these until they break in a bit? I bled them and it doesn't feel like air because you can't pump them up at all and they don't fade, it just seems to take more pressure/pedal travel to operate them. At this point I can't even lock up the wheels.

Suggestions?
A personal pet peeve is 16 dollar rotors. Do you have any idea how hard some poor little chinese kid had to work collecting empty soup cans to make that POS rotor and get paid 3 cents for two days work?

Oh well, now that you own them and the pads. Try this.

Do 10 stops with medium pedal effort from 35 to completely stopped one right after the other.

Drive around without stopping for about 10 minutes to cool the rotors down. Now repeat the same series of stops again and about halfway through the series, you will notice a marked improvement in your braking ability.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:59 PM

Re-Bleed them.
I just put new cailper on, and had to re-bleed them
the next day.

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 02-24-2004, 03:58 PM

Will do both. Thanks for the replies.