Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-22-2004, 08:20 PM

Ram assist steering options.

Well, seems that the trackbar bracket (axle mount end), wants to rip.
With the 35 MT/R's (fronts) aired down to 6 pounds, it's very difficult to turn the wheel if there is much weight on the front (ie, coming off a boig boulder, etc).
Thinking about a steering ram assist, not so much to help lessen the steering effort, but rather more to take some of the load off the track bar.
Anyone have any ideas ?
Red Neck Ram, etc. ??

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 11-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
I'm using RockLogic Ram with box end-cap from RockEquipment.

http://home.off-road.com/~bassettsbe...otos/fj40/ram/

Turns the 40s aired down to 4lbs, just as easy as it does at 20lbs.

I just noticed that Tony at RockEquipment is now selling ram kits, and his ram comes with a TRE at one end (versus rod ends at both ends), which is kinda nifty if it'll work for your setup.

http://www.rockequipment.com/ramassist.htm

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/products...ssist_2004.php

If you're into filling your own shopping basket, you can save a few bucks by acquiring your own ram and hoses through one of many tractor supply stores online, and making your own tabs. I got my kit as a B-Day gift.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:47 AM

I have installed a Red Neck Ram steering box and ram on a TJ with a Tera 60R.

I was not impressed with the quality, or road feel. It did offer much needed power to the steering system, however.

I'd stick with Howe or Lee Mfg. I've used both of those compainies stuff and you get what you pay for, everytime.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 AM

What up with all these 'Ram-kits' and no modification to the pump ????
I just had Mr. Lee build my P pump and 808 box ported, hard capped.
The ram will be added in the future, as funding allows.

In talking with him he said that it?s the total package that needs to be addressed.
Just adding a ram or going to a big bore box is just half the equation. the pump needs to
be 'hot-rodded' as well.
My pump was changed over to a large pumping element and
the pressure was raised a tad. the raise in pressure was
mainly for the hydro-boost, the steering requires the more volume.

He told me when the time comes that I do add the ram, the fitting on
the back of the pump needs to be changed to a bigger one.
The fitting being where the high pressure hose attaches, it will
allow more volume/flow.

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 11-23-2004, 04:53 PM

Changing the pump is a given, at least for me.
Since hydroboost is in the immediate future, I'll probably use a Howe pump anyways.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce David
What up with all these 'Ram-kits' and no modification to the pump ????
Probably a fact of life for the POS pumps that come on the Jeeps. Not all vehicles comes with barely adequate p/s pumps though.
My Cheb pump does fine. Steering response in parking lots could be a tad quicker at times, during those quick dashes to cutoff the soccermom who's gunning it for the same spot. Other than that, no complaints whatsoever.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisO
I have installed a Red Neck Ram steering box and ram on a TJ with a Tera 60R.
I was not impressed with the quality, or road feel. It did offer much needed power to the steering system, however.

I'd stick with Howe or Lee Mfg. I've used both of those compainies stuff and you get what you pay for, everytime.
Not impressed with the quality of what? The ram? Just about all of the suppliers use the same sources, same as you'd get from a tractor supply store? The mounting tabs, chunks of metal? The drill/tap of the ports on the box? This really is a pretty simple mod, not much to mess up here. It will add some sluggishness to turning responsiveness; how much depends on the quality of your p/s pump AND how well you bleed the p/s system after you install the ram (a PITA to get fully bled, when you think you're done, keep bleeding).
Old 11-24-2004, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
Not impressed with the quality of what? The ram? Just about all of the suppliers use the same sources, same as you'd get from a tractor supply store? The mounting tabs, chunks of metal? The drill/tap of the ports on the box? This really is a pretty simple mod, not much to mess up here. It will add some sluggishness to turning responsiveness; how much depends on the quality of your p/s pump AND how well you bleed the p/s system after you install the ram (a PITA to get fully bled, when you think you're done, keep bleeding).
I send them (WTOR) the seering box to "rebuild", and they are soposed to do just that, port it and supply me with a ram & hoses. I get the box back with the porting, and looking in the stock ports, they are full of "junk". The ram is no where near the quality of a Howe or Lee, and looks to be home-made, however, it works (for now, till it leaks, like all others I've seen).

The "instructions" are written by a true "Redneck", and the installer must be considerably smarter then the author.

The road feel is like driving a back-hoe. There is none! No return to center. Feels like full hydro steering.

Yes, it is bled.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisO
I send them (WTOR) the seering box to "rebuild", and they are soposed to do just that, port it and supply me with a ram & hoses. I get the box back with the porting, and looking in the stock ports, they are full of "junk". The ram is no where near the quality of a Howe or Lee, and looks to be home-made, however, it works (for now, till it leaks, like all others I've seen).

The "instructions" are written by a true "Redneck", and the installer must be considerably smarter then the author.

The road feel is like driving a back-hoe. There is none! No return to center. Feels like full hydro steering.

Yes, it is bled.
Sad story. Sounds like a crappy box rebuild. I've never done biz with WTOR. In fact, they're pricing being some of the highest, I've steered folks away from them and over to RockLogic, RockEquipment, and Rockstomper. Sounds like it's a good thing too. Sorry to hear of your misfortune with them.

(In writing that paragraph, I realized there could've been money to be made by grabbing all the domain names starting with "rock" early on. )