Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
The TJ is or can be very vexing in regard to understanding some of it's idiosyncrasies. The left front pick mentioned earlier is one and that is somewhat easily dealt with as is the unloading with some swaybars and shock selection.

One of the bigger advantages of the rebuildable shocks is the ability to run different valving. Mine are set up to compress quite easily, and extend very slowly or slowly compared to the compression rate. That slows the unloading down considerably if you can drive through something.
Ah, good point on that topic. Valving and having rebuildable shocks would lend a more applied action in the TJ's suspension, per each application. Makes sense.

I'm interested to know if my dissertation on what is being conveyed for 'unloading'--re: coils, is accurate. I am nearly certain I am correct on that, the comparison of the coil and leaf matrix regarding 'unloading' as it is described, vs. the CoG (apparent) moving and causing this issue as a rig reaches up to near vertical as pictured.

Great responses.
robert@behold-the-rage.com
406-755-9765
Old 05-16-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert A.M. Stephens
Hey Robert,

Forgive me, I misunderstood, I thought you were referencing the fellas from last weekend. I want o answer your question as it pertains to VEX.

Failure before these mods were; blown front hubs, blown front spindle bearings and shaft collars, blown axles both right and left front, inners and outers, (had already went with superior 20s for the AMC 20 and welded and trussed that for the rear), spun up licorice and explosion for my OEM front and rear DLs. Blown T-176 tranny, more blown hubs, etc, all because of: running chains front and rear with the ARBS engaged..

So, went with super D30 front end, 4.56s with the 33", 1 ton DLs, etc, etc, and viola, haven't busted anything since early 1993. With the frame lined with 1" plate that eliminated frame cracking. Gusseted bumpers front and rear with 1" gussets took care of frame 'diamonding' out from severe off camber flex and winching heavy things too.
Thanx Robert,
So what u-joints and hubs are you now running up front?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Thanx Robert,
So what u-joints and hubs are you now running up front?
I'm running the Super 30 kit from Warn and the OX joints. No troubles for years, but even with the 297x's I had no trouble after getting rid of the OEM stuff.
406-755-9765
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM

My....you are certainly an enigma. First revolvers and now Ox joints. LOL - on any other board your little tank of petrol would be empy at this point.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
My....you are certainly an enigma. First revolvers and now Ox joints. LOL - on any other board your little tank of petrol would be empy at this point.
True, between the Reolvers, and being warnd about the OX joints, I'd be getting fuel by the million sof gallons.

But, there is tolerance here, even for human offal such as I
406-755-9765
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
True, between the Revolvers, and being warned about the OX joints, I'd be getting fuel by the million of gallons.

But, there is tolerance here, even for human offal such as I

I was told to change out the OX joints by "mr.blaine" and he is correct. But I think the jeep is so light duty, that is why I haven't had any trouble. I assume you use the other big joint.
406-755-9765
Old 05-17-2005, 08:25 AM

You assume correctly. I do have to question your use of the phrase "light duty" given the weight of vex though
Old 05-18-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
You assume correctly. I do have to question your use of the phrase "light duty" given the weight of vex though
I was being somehwat sardonic in that the new fad, for these last 15 years or so, is 'rocks'. Thus, in the culture now anyone that does not 'do' rocks is some form of sissy, or worse, --and I love this signature I saw somewhere, : "if you don't do rock, you don't wheel......"

But, after all this time, there is so much worse things than a rock pile. So, being sardonic, had to say 'light duty'.

But, here on this forum I can say: Revolvers rule, narrow tires are king, chains forever, and if your Jeep does not weigh at least 6000 lbs you don't know squat", and no one assassinates you for it.

except for that hateful and mean "mr. blaine", of course.....
406-755-9765