Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2004, 12:51 PM

Question Welding Helmet Questions

I have a decent basic Lincoln welding helmet that's served me well for the last couple years. No real complaints about it for what it cost. Just the simple hood and head pad, no nice do-dads.

I'm thinking about getting another one as an upgrade. I saw it in the Harbor Freight flyer that I get at my house once in a while. It's a Chicago Electric adjustable shade auto-darkening helmet. Price seems reasonable @ $49.99, basically 1/2 their normal price. The add mentions it darkens from shade #4 to #9-#13 in 1/20,000 of a second.

So, does this sound like a reasonably good helmet, or should I pass & look at another that may cost more, but will be a better product?

I like the option of not having to play around with the hood while starting the bead.

Also, does anybody know if this helmet has a protective clear lens to help keep the welding lens from getting damaged by debris?