Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-03-2003, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Lightbulb Does the chain really slip over the gears on the NP231?

I've read on here, JU, jeepforum.com,etc that the chain cannot skip gears due to it being to close to the case. I find this to be B.S. from my high tech SSS (super scientific study)

Here's what I think:

The chain wears before sprokets (just like motorcycles and bicycles) It gets alittle loose, starts getting some slop, then it happens. The chain skips a tooth, making a loud thunk (Which I was getting big time) Now, since the tolerance between the internal case and the chain is tight.....it rubs the inside. The steel chain is stronger than the case, so the case slowly errodes....self destructing itself.Here , right behind the filter screen, you can see dull aluminum and shiny aluminum. The dull, as you guess, is normal. The shiny is were the aluminum has been eating away. When I first took it apart, I did not recognize it at all! It was literally covered. Here's another example... The chain has been chewing up the oil line for breakfest. Luckly, there is plenty of stock left on it, it'll be fine. Below the pick up line, you can see a ridge, right were the chain rides. Coincidence? I think not.

Oh yeah, the SSS part was a joke.

There it is, folks. If you can't believe it happens, there you go. Discuss, I would like to know what others think.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:07 AM

I don't know about the shiny parts, or the case destructing or whatever else you are talking about, but I can say with knowledge that a chain can slip.

I saw it happen out on on a trail on time. The chain makes a really fun crunchy noise which conencides with lack of forward motion on the parts of trail that needs 4wd.