Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 PM

Imus fired

While I'm not a fan of him or Stern I respect their right to say whats on their minds.

I find it more then curious that the village idiots "Reverand" Jessie and Big Al want this guy fired MORE then anything else (including building schools, or infusing money into the African American communities) but they could give a **** if Ludicris or some other lame ass rapper calls everyone "nigga" this, and "bitch ho" that.

At the end of the day Imus is stupid for saying that - and it was a rude comment - but I find it highly hypocritcal that they can call each other names in the parlance of their music and movies but the minute the "man" says somthing we have OUTRAGE.

Where were the Reverends when Imus ripped the Chinese, or the Mexicans, or the Canadians....

I say - **** em if they can't take a joke.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM

Joke, not joke, that's not even the point.

The point is that black culture, as it is marketed by the same corporations that run Imus's show, is completely corrupted, mysogonistic, crude, and horrid, and it has been for 20 years with out anyone (Other than bill cosby) saying anything about it, ESPECIALLY in the black communities, but the second some crusty old white dude says something that is 1/10th as offensive as what is in a typical rap song, it's racism.

Okay. Makes sense to me. The great thing about the PC police is they are always consistantly inconsistant.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Al Sharpton and his kind are so hypocritical it's not even funny. Sharpton made a racist anti-white/anti-Jewish remark several years ago about a store owner in a black neighborhood, then simply apologized for it afterwards without further repercussions. So even though he's been racist towards whites, he's still cruising along attacking every white who says anything not socially acceptable about a black. Though Sharpton got off with a simple apology after his own racist remarks, Imus's multi-day apology isn't good enough for him.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:23 PM

Jesse and Al are hustlers and they are good at it. They pull the *Race Mastercard* out and get paid all the time. Doesn't make it right but I have to wonder about all the turds who cave into it. Imus caved and the *Race Mastercard* bill showed up a weeklater and hit him hard. He should have stuck to his guns. Him getting fired is not offensive to me in the least.

If anyone wants to be offended...

....how about getting an apology for another group of innocent athletes....the Duke Lacrosse players. I don't see Jesse and Al stepping up to the plate with that one but they were right there at the begining announcing the players guilt.

....or how about the fact that we are currently in the middle of an illegal war. The goals and objectives of the UN resolutions have been reached. We have no legal reason to be there anymore.

Now those 2 things I find offensive.

This country is so fawking lame sometimes over what its priorities are
Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Its refreshing to hear people talk about reality instead of muttering the PC bull**** that everybody else in the country seems to be infected with.

I just wonder what jesse and al are going to complain about now that they got their way, there is no way that they are going to let go of this without getting some more mileage from it.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
If anyone wants to be offended...

....how about getting an apology for another group of innocent athletes....the Duke Lacrosse players. I don't see Jesse and Al stepping up to the plate with that one but they were right there at the begining announcing the players guilt.
Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong who ruthlessly and wrongly prosecuted those Duke players is finally getting his just rewards. His state attorney general blasted him as a rogue prosecutor, and you know the student's families are gearing up to nail him with huge personal lawsuits for malicious prosecution too. His state's bar association is now considering disbarring him as well.

It looks like he went after the Duke players because he was in a tight race for reelection and needed the limelight. That he appeased a whole bunch of black voters too was icing on the cake for him too.

That SOB has it all coming to him... and more.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Here's a timely column on the Imus thing by black columnist Jason Whitlock:

"Imus isn?t the real bad guy
Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.
By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You?ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You?ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You?ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it?s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we?re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I?m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent?s or Snoop Dogg?s or Young Jeezy?s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain?t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don?t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It?s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I?m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn?t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should?ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it?s only the beginning. It?s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we?re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers? wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don?t listen or watch Imus? show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it?s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they?re suckers for pursuing education and that they?re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I?ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is ? a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you?re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There?s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out."

Meanwhile, the press and TV news gives ever more and more time to Sharpton and Jackson while paying little attention to the more thoughtful views of columnists like Jason Whitlock.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Here's a timely column on the Imus thing by black columnist Jason Whitlock:

"Imus isn?t the real bad guy
Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.
By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You?ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You?ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You?ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it?s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we?re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I?m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent?s or Snoop Dogg?s or Young Jeezy?s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain?t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don?t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It?s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I?m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn?t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should?ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it?s only the beginning. It?s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we?re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers? wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don?t listen or watch Imus? show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it?s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they?re suckers for pursuing education and that they?re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I?ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is ? a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you?re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There?s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out."

The thing that is really sad is that while I completely agree with his comments only a black person could write that and not be accused of being a racist - even though most of it is truthful.

That shows the sad state of this nation.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
The thing that is really sad is that while I completely agree with his comments only a black person could write that and not be accused of being a racist - even though most of it is truthful.

That shows the sad state of this nation.
Check the census numbers. We are in a state of the tail wagging the dog and that won't work much longer.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:31 PM

I don't think Imus should be fired. The crime should fit the punishment.

IF somehow we can construe the phrase "nappy haired" to be racial and that is a stretch that only JJ and the Rev Al can make, but for this paragraphs sake I will concede it. That said, ANYBODY who gets offended by ANYTHING Imus sez needs to rethink their emotional sensitivity meter. I also WONDER how many of the girls on the basketball team LISTEN to or even know who Imus is?????

I am far from being any-kind of an expert on much, especially human genes. But I think a trait of most black folks is "kinky" or as Imus said, "nappy haired". That said, I have known a LOT of black folks and most of them run the color gamut from black-black to near white or "tanned-white". Most all of them have natural "kinky" or "nappy hair". So if you called one nappy haired is that any different than calling someone blue eyed?

I remember one time I was asked to give a description of some perps of a crime I had witnessed. The police asked me what did they look like? In the description I gave, I said I believed them to be black. He asked "could they have been hispanic?" I said I didn't think so as they had "kinky black hair." Was that a racial slur?

I do find the term "ho" offensive in its use of describing women. I had never heard that term until I was around blacks and heard them use it. A term that I first heard back in the mid-70's. I suspect that Imus picked up the term from the common and public use of the term "ho" as it is being thrown around today by black comedians and Rappers. While we are discussing racial slurs, how about picking ANY one of the current top 10 Rap songs on the charts today...just listen! Double standard????

Go here: http://www.newblackpanther.com/10pnt.html and every where you see the word "black" insert the word white. Publish it on your website and hang it on your wall at work and if you are a DJ read it aloud on the radio or just read it aloud on the street corner. Wonder what JJ and Rev Al would do? How long would you have your job?

visit my forum: all rigs, expedition type travel in the SW and beyond, all are welcome, no cost just friendship...

www.savagesun4x4expeditions.com