Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 02-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Big Bear / Feb. 4th and 5th

We have a cabin for the weekend and are headed up the mountain Friday late afternoon. Tricia and I are going to do some light wheeling on Gold Mtn and maybe Jacoby Cyn on Saturday (4th). We are skiing Snow Summit on Sunday (5th).

Looking to hit the Gold Mtn trail head at 10 on Saturday morning. If anybody wants to do a quick trail ride, meet me there. Additionally, if anyone wants to do a few runs on the slopes with me on Sunday, hit me up by PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:01 AM

I will be running the slops Saturday at Snow Summit. We've rented a Condo for Fri and Sat nights right at the base of the resort. I've heard there is not much snow.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason L Williams
I will be running the slops Saturday at Snow Summit. We've rented a Condo for Fri and Sat nights right at the base of the resort. I've heard there is not much snow.
Did you buy a pig farm?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
They have plenty of snow if you consider manmade to be snow

Are you going to ski Sunday?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 AM

No. I am trying to close the books for the year and I told my boss I would be in on Sunday. So, early morning I should be driving back down the mountain. Who knows, I still have your cell. If plans change, I ring you up on Sun.
This trip was a last minute thing my wife and neighbor decided our two families needed to do. So of course my wife convinced me to skip work and go play on Sat. I'm looking at Sat as a warm-up for Mammoth in late March.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Did you buy a pig farm?
Thanks Blaine.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Blaine.
Hey, you're the one said you'd be running the slops.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:21 PM

These BBS's need to have grammer/spell check.
I had to read what I wrote a few times to see your humor. But once I got it, I laughed.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM

Gold Mountain

I'm not saying its hard and maybe its just me but that trail seems to be in alot worse shape than I remember it. In addition to running it Saturday, I was up there this past August (my route off of John Bull) and I don't remember it being so dug up. Very obviously, at least to me, are holes below rock outcroppings that seem to be resultant of idiots spinning their tires trying to make the obstacle. I sure wish that folks would get a clue on how to drive with the least amount of impact.

Oh yea, the skiing was icy until about 10:30, it rocked until about 12:30 and then turned into slush.

...and Rossignol B2 Bandits rule on hardpack. Nothing like feeling the nice sensation of speed on a sunny glorious day
Old 02-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Re: Gold Mountain

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates

Oh yea, the skiing was icy until about 10:30, it rocked until about 12:30 and then turned into slush.

...and Rossignol B2 Bandits rule on hardpack. Nothing like feeling the nice sensation of speed on a sunny glorious day
'Glorious? I would have to say HOT!. For the mountains that is. I believe it got to about 60 on Sat. I left the condo with a thermal underneath a t-shirt. By 10:30, it was just the t-shirt. I forgot to put sun screen on my face.

First question at work, "You went Skiing didn't you?"

Did you go down the "Wall"?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:36 PM

Re: Re: Gold Mountain

Quote:
Did you go down the "Wall"?
We lapped it and were on the verge of being ejected out of there by the ski patrol

I grew up back east where ice skiing is considered a good day on the slopes, so I'm fairly adept at carving turns. It "was" icy but no more so than a standard race course. My Bandits only have 3 days on them so the edges are in great shape as well. No problemo for us at all.

The idiots who had no business trying the wall OTH, were somewhat amusing. We watched this one dude (while we were on the chairlift) get all reved' up for an attempt only to wipe out after his first turn and lose his skis over the edge into the woods because he couldn't self arrest. He probably slid a good 50 yards down the steepest section and his junk flew off when he hit the dirt. Fishing his skis out and getting him stood back up pretty much consumed a good 1/2 hour of the ski patrols' time.