Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 AM

A few pics while I was at work

Here's a few random pics I recently took while aboard the USS O'Kane (DDG-77). O'Kane is home ported out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. We (a coworker of mine & I) spent several days underway while training some of the crewmembers.

This is their Phalanx gattling gun. It's used to shoot down incoming shells/gunfire, missiles, or basically anything that flies towards the ship. It fires 20MM rounds at a rate of ~3,000 per minute, or, ~50 per second.

Here's one of two verticle missile launchers (VLS). The ship has one launcher forward (near the bow), and one aft (near the stern/fantail).

This is one warning you want to adhear to.

Looking forward from the fantail.

The ship has one 5" gun on the forecastle. There's another VLS launcher just aft of it.

Sunset at sea. If there's one thing I miss about being at sea, it's enjoying the beautiful sunsets.

Returning from sea. The city in the background is Honolulu and Waikiki Beach, along with Diamond Head.

More to follow.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:58 AM

While returning to port, we passed by one of our battleships. This is the USS Missouri (BB-63), also known as "The Mighty MO".

I spent a little time on this ship while on active duty.

A few Fast Attack Submarines.

This one was being moved by a tugboat.

USS Chafee (DDG-90)

We took a hike while on Oahu. The scenery was simply amazing.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
nice!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 PM

Visiting the Mighty Mo is a real treat, if you get the chance.

The one thing that surprised me is that it really isn't that large of a ship. I mean it is a big ship, don't get me wrong, but after you've been on a cruise ship or down by the docks watching a cargo ship get loaded, it's actually pretty small.

It's pretty impressive standing on the bow looking back at the main guns.

Also, thickness of the metal surrounding the bridge is pretty mind boggling as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 PM

VLS.

How does that relate to LCS?

I've done a lot of fabwork on LCS modules on base.

Something entirely different or a future replacement?

As I understand it, the LCS can either be set up with missiles or a gun. Or changed out aboard ship if the need arises.
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

I now officially hate you Joe. I was going to post some pictures of work as well, but somehow they seem to suck big time. What do you think?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
VLS.

How does that relate to LCS?

I've done a lot of fabwork on LCS modules on base.

Something entirely different or a future replacement?

As I understand it, the LCS can either be set up with missiles or a gun. Or changed out aboard ship if the need arises.
LCS is a ship (Littoral Combat Ship) while VLS is the missile launcher itself and it's peripherals (Vertical Launching System).

LCS:
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/littoral/

VLS:
http://navysite.de/launcher/vls.htm
Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

nice pics Joe.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Used to be a company in SD in the 70's call Arcwel, they would send us to Hawaii we get on the ship as it set sail to SD. Start the work. Most was takin out bulkheads. That steel is thick. Cutting torches and grinders. Wont do that again

Joe lets change jobs I lik Hawaii better then Mexico..
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM

Sure thing Vern.

I leave for Japan next Friday for about a week, so you might want to start brushing up on your Japanese and have your Passport handy and up to date. I'll be aboard the USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) teaching senior military officers (Admirals, Captains, Destroyer Squadron staffmembers, and some of McCain's crewmembers too) some new features of their newest v5 Tactical Tomahawk Weapon Control System. VERY fun stuff.

http://www.mccain.navy.mil/default.aspx

So you might wanna start brushing up on how to be politically correct when showing them how we plan to kill people in the near future.

Immediately after returning stateside, I fly to Jacksonville Florida for ~2 weeks to basically do the same thing but on the east coast. So while you're flying back stateside, you might want to start brushing up on your southern accent.

I'll be aboard the USS Vicksburg (CG-69) which is homeported out of Mayport, FL.

http://navysite.de/cg/cg69.html
Old 06-21-2008, 09:12 AM

You got a cool job there Joe. My traveling days are over. Spent to many days in motels all over.
V