Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-22-2004, 11:13 AM

Welding the RE LA kit's frame bushings into the frame... how important?

I've pretty well decided to just go ahead and install the new RE LA kit myself (and it is shipping today! ). My question is pretty simple, is it worth getting someone over to the house to weld those bushings into the frame? RE says they don't have to be but... I have access to a welder but the welder's owner can no longer weld it for me due to an offroad accident he had that has nearly blinded him. Is it worth it to try and get someone else over to weld them or not?

One more thing... RE is also shipping me rear shock relocation brackets. How important is it that I use them? Thanks!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:33 AM

I'd weld them, Jerry. I know RE says it's an unnecessary step, but I was much more confortable welding them in place. It's pretty simple really as only the outside of the frame gets the 1" hole, hence only that side can be welded. So, if you can do it, I would.

I used the shock brackets RE sent, but made that decision after cycling the rear axle and determining the shocks wouldn't work in the stock brackets. BTW, getting the shock brackets off was tougher than removing the control arm brackets from the frame...mostly due to access issues. That's were I used my Plasma.

Side note, depending on how things line-up with your rear shocks, and where the new brackets have to be placed on the rear axle, you may run into clearance issues with the can of the shock rubbing on the spring pad on the axle. I "clearanced" the pad slightly by using a 3 lb hand sledge to "flatten" the back edge of spring pad. A couple whacks was all it took.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Jerry,

My spacers are not welded to the frame on my Full Traction lift. It doesn't appear that they could fall in anyways. With the removable center section, how often do you think you'll remove the side brackets, if ever? If you do have access to the welder, you could always tack them into place and then grind them smooth. Even a hack welder like me could do it.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:17 PM

Re: Welding the RE LA kit's frame bushings into the frame... how important?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I've pretty well decided to just go ahead and install the new RE LA kit myself (and it is shipping today! ). My question is pretty simple, is it worth getting someone over to the house to weld those bushings into the frame? RE says they don't have to be but... I have access to a welder but the welder's owner can no longer weld it for me due to an offroad accident he had that has nearly blinded him. Is it worth it to try and get someone else over to weld them or not?

One more thing... RE is also shipping me rear shock relocation brackets. How important is it that I use them? Thanks!
Look into the nth degree shock relocators. It will move them out board 5-6" and you still use the same shock.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
getting the shock brackets off was tougher than removing the control arm brackets from the frame...mostly due to access issues. That's were I used my Plasma.
back edge of spring pad. A couple whacks was all it took.
Heh,
I cut my lower shock brackets off with Blaines' plasma and frankly, I was worried the entire time that I was going to blow a hole through into my axle tube. I was never so happy to put a tool down
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 PM

Thanks guys, now you have me thinking about having it done by my shop guy again.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Heh,
I cut my lower shock brackets off with Blaines' plasma and frankly, I was worried the entire time that I was going to blow a hole through into my axle tube. I was never so happy to put a tool down
A good tool, but not real forgiving
Old 07-22-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys, now you have me thinking about having it done by my shop guy again.
Nah, don't mind me, Jerry. You'll do fine.

Remember, I'm the guy who catches himself on fire at least once a year grinding on something.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:26 PM

Go on Jerry it's not that hard - I actually enjoyed it.
As for welding - I'd suggest you do what I did......
ie my welds could be mistaken for bird-poop - but that didn't stop me basically welding the spacers in place......
My thoughts are the welding is listed as optional, even if only a % of my weld is properly penitrating I'll still be ahead so what to loose?
Besides there's some primival attraction to cutting stuff off & welding other stuff onto your junk - I loved it.....now looking for more cutting/welding projects
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 07-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wooders
Go on Jerry it's not that hard - I actually enjoyed it.
As for welding - I'd suggest you do what I did......
ie my welds could be mistaken for bird-poop - but that didn't stop me basically welding the spacers in place......
My thoughts are the welding is listed as optional, even if only a % of my weld is properly penitrating I'll still be ahead so what to loose?
Besides there's some primival attraction to cutting stuff off & welding other stuff onto your junk - I loved it.....now looking for more cutting/welding projects
I hear you on the attraction to welding and I could probably get the sleeves welded into the frame semi-ok but it's the rear shock relocator brackets that I wouldn't even attempt. I'm probably going to end up begging someone more knowledgeable to help if I don't chicken out all together... which bugs me because I've always enjoyed installing lifts... just not one that involved cutting off axle brackets and welding others on.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Nah, don't mind me, Jerry. You'll do fine.

Remember, I'm the guy who catches himself on fire at least once a year grinding on something.
BTDT and Kat was so fascinated with watching the flames she forgot to put me out.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to frhalevt
Jerry,

If you are concerned about the shock relocator brackets, get the shock relocators from Teraflex. No welding required, they are bolt on.

Frank
Old 07-22-2004, 07:55 PM

I've got a set of those tera bolt-on shock mounts in the garage somewhere that you can have. I realized after getting fully bitten by the Jeep bug that I had to learn to weld. I highly reccomend it!!

I dont know if this would work, but your welcome to drive it over to my shop in Esco for a few quick welds.

Whatever you do... Dont let someone else install your lift!! I know you have some good guys over at 4WP, but you will be kickin yourself if something fails on the trail.

Just Do It!!

Matt
Old 07-22-2004, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by frhalevt
Jerry,

If you are concerned about the shock relocator brackets, get the shock relocators from Teraflex. No welding required, they are bolt on.

Frank
Those things are bad news if you play in the rocks.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
I've got a set of those tera bolt-on shock mounts in the garage somewhere that you can have. I realized after getting fully bitten by the Jeep bug that I had to learn to weld. I highly reccomend it!!

I dont know if this would work, but your welcome to drive it over to my shop in Esco for a few quick welds.

Whatever you do... Dont let someone else install your lift!! I know you have some good guys over at 4WP, but you will be kickin yourself if something fails on the trail.

Just Do It!!

Matt
That's a great offer on the welding I hope to take you up on, thank you very much Matt. I'm thinking not this coming weekend but next weekend. Nothing on the lift installation fazes me much except for the welding so your offer is much appreciated. And yeah, I didn't want anyone else installing it either! Thanks Matt!

Jerry
Old 07-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to frhalevt
Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Those things are bad news if you play in the rocks.
Why?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:53 AM

Jerry, My shop is on Barham near Mission. I'm usually in the garage on saturdays messing with the Jeep. Feel free to come on by!

Warning though... I am no fab masta!! I have welded all of my own spring perches, shock mounts etc. But, if I want something to look real purty (and is life critical) I take it to a profesional!

Matt
Old 07-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Heh, your welding skills sound just fine for what my Jeep needs. Thank you Matt, I appreciate your offer very much!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by frhalevt
Why?
They hang down even lower which causes the rocks to bite them - hard. Also, due to the manner in which they are attached to the stock mount, they become a lever. I guess what I am trying to say is that you will quickly bend them up and destroy your stock mounts in the process.

You would be better off with this Nth Degree shock relocation kit

or this:
Old 07-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Anybody else seen the new F-150 commercials touting the benefits of the outboard shocks? It sure works nice on the TJ.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Anybody else seen the new F-150 commercials touting the benefits of the outboard shocks? It sure works nice on the TJ.
Yes, seen it and was surprised that they make such a big deal out of it. I do know it works much better though.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
That's a mod I wouldn't mind doing to our rig, I'm just unsure how to tackle the bottom mount at the axle. Seems pretty tight in there already.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
[B]They hang down even lower which causes the rocks to bite them - hard. Also, due to the manner in which they are attached to the stock mount, they become a lever. I guess what I am trying to say is that you will quickly bend them up and destroy your stock mounts in the process.

You would be better off with this Nth Degree shock relocation kit

Exacly why I suggested this to Jerry.

Quote:
Originally posted by igofshn
Look into the nth degree shock relocators. It will move them out board 5-6" and you still use the same shock.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:37 PM

What's the benefit to moving the lower shock mounts further outboard and what's a good surce for the nth degree shock relocators?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:24 PM

Quote:
What's the benefit to moving the lower shock mounts further outboard and what's a good surce for the nth degree shock relocators?
It is definately smoother. It also makes it harder for them to get hung up. I got mine from nth degree for $90.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:55 PM

Sounds good to me, this is the time to do them for sure. Thanks Al.

Jerry
Old 07-24-2004, 12:01 PM

I used the MORE lower shock mounts:

I wound up cutting them up a fair amount to get them where I wanted them, but am pleased with the end result:

HTH

MP