Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-20-2005, 08:12 PM

ARB questions

I managed to kill my 6 month old ARB compressor it appears rain and possibly the few times I have washed the engine was the cause. From what I can tell ARB does little to make the compressor water resistent. Brushes where stuck/rusted as was the brush spring. I plan on using some silicon rubber to seal the brush plate and the compressor end also along with a home made splash shield... My compressor is mounted on the plate beneath the clutch master cylinder. I do not know if the water got to it through my hood louvers or water entering between the hood and the fender while washing it. Maybe I just wash my jeep to often .

Anyone else heard of or had this problem???

One more question what is the best way to repair a hole in an ARB line????? Even with me using a outer protective cover (fuel line) the ARB hose managed to get against the tail pipe and the rest is history... I believe the line is a metric size so a regular feral compression fitting may be hard to locate. Is the "quick connect" (the style in which you simply push the hose into the fitting) a better route??? OR should I just replace the whole length of hose..... Thanks for any advice.. "Chuck The destroyer of ALL"
Old 03-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Re: ARB questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck K.
I managed to kill my 6 month old ARB compressor it appears rain and possibly the few times I have washed the engine was the cause. From what I can tell ARB does little to make the compressor water resistent. Brushes where stuck/rusted as was the brush spring. I plan on using some silicon rubber to seal the brush plate and the compressor end also along with a home made splash shield... My compressor is mounted on the plate beneath the clutch master cylinder. I do not know if the water got to it through my hood louvers or water entering between the hood and the fender while washing it. Maybe I just wash my jeep to often .

One more question what is the best way to repair a hole in an ARB line????? Even with me using a outer protective cover (fuel line) the ARB hose managed to get against the tail pipe and the rest is history... I believe the line is a metric size so a regular feral compression fitting may be hard to locate. Is the "quick connect" (the style in which you simply push the hose into the fitting) a better route??? OR should I just replace the whole length of hose..... Thanks for any advice.. "Chuck The destroyer of ALL"
I pressure wash under the hood all the time with no ill effects. I do run the compressor and cycle it a few times to dry it out as well as starting the motor and letting the jeep run until everything under the hood is dry.

I'd replace the section of line and get some 5 mm push to lock line splices.

McMaster Carr has them as does ARB. Put the splice up near the t-case skid so you can replace the short section back to the diff as needed.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I too have been pressure washing the engine compartment of my TJ (since getting it back in '99). It usually averages one bath per month, give or take a bit. I've yet to have any failures on anything under the hood (knock on wood?). As I do mine at the local spray and wash place, I end up running the engine for about a mile while driving home.

The feral is sized for the blue line and it is not likely you will find it in the local hardware store. I picked my spare parts up at the local 4x4 shop.....which reminds me, I need to get a couple of items after using a couple during the last ARB overhaul.

Chuck....if you do not already have spare ARB line, you may wish to replace your melted run with new line and then salvage the two sections and put them in your spare parts box. IMO, you'll stand a better chance of no trail problems when you start the the run with properly configured/installed components. Save the fix-it-ups for the trail.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 AM

Cool

Like Stu, I have a '99 which I have pressure washed under the hood at least monthly for the past six years. The engine is warm when I wash it and I immediately run the engine for about ten minutes after the wash. I also cycle all three switches on the ARB. I have never had an ARB failure. Due to reported line failures caused by heat contact, I had the initial installation done with stainless steel lines. I cost me $50 extra, but I feel it was well worth it.

Fred
Old 03-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have not logged in for a few days as I was busy building a "trail box" for my upcoming trip to Moab.. I figured I would try my luck with wood work beings that my welding skills from building my rear bumper had me rather tired of grinding.. Not to mention the grinding wheel that cruised across my knuckle still had that hand a little sore. I will try and post some pics of the box.

A buddy of mine helped me build the removable box something like Stu"s ( built best I can remember). Now I just have to think of what tools/parts I would most likely need. Of course you could bring enough tools and parts to build an entire jeep minus one part and that would be the one you need, thats just Murphy's law at times. Right in the middle of the job the delivery truck shows up with my Atlas So as of now I have 3 projects

Any you fellas want come down here and lend a hand feel free to do so room and board is on me

I had better get busy.. Chuck
Old 03-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Banned for being bad

how do you get dirt under the hood?? mine is shiney clean
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
how do you get dirt under the hood??
First, you pull that little lever next to the shifter and put it in 4WD (four wheel drive) ...
Old 03-23-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
First, you pull that little lever next to the shifter and put it in 4WD (four wheel drive) ...
Ouch...tough crowd this morning
Old 03-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
There is a wheeler on here that wasn't sure what that lever was for when I met him. That's actually how I met him. Had to show him how to get his rig in 4wd.

There was this silver jeep with a variety of grinding sounds going on and the guy in the driver's seat with a very puzzled look on his face.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
There was this silver jeep with a variety of grinding sounds going on and the guy in the driver's seat with a very puzzled look on his face.
Did he have a shiny engine under the hood and look like Jerry Garcia?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Did he have a shiny engine under the hood and look like Jerry Garcia?
no
Old 03-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Banned for being bad

seeing how im a seasoned vetern robert you know that could not be me besides i had other issues
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:47 PM

Re: ARB questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck K.

I've not had any of those troubles. Strange.

As for breaks you can get at any auto parts store brass, threaded air line coupler fittings for $2 each. They make for a 2 minute fix. I've used them twice in 14 years, and no other trouble otherwise with my ARBs.
robert@behold-the-rage.com
406-755-9765