Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-18-2003, 03:35 PM

Let's talk about full width axles......

OK...I'm going to put stronger axles under my TJ. I was planning on 62" rear and 63" front (planning on 9" rear and 44 front) and running 37x13 Boggers. What are the pros and cons of going full width? I was just thinking about the price difference in building the axles. Is the extra couple inches sticking out the only difference? Are you able to run the same control arms (RE 4.5" SF short arms) or do you have to run some other type suspension with the extra width/leverage? How much of that extra width can I make up with more backspacing on the wheel? I'm running 4.5" BS now. Let me know your thoughts on it so I can make my mind up easier! If anyone has pics of TJ's with full width axles, please post them....especially straight on from the front and back. Thanks in advance! Dave

hers: 95 ZJ (pretty much done)More Jeep pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/selph68
and also at:http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=selph
Old 08-18-2003, 03:52 PM

Selph-
I know you asked for a TJ, but I think my input may help you. When I upgraded axles on my ZJ, it was soo much easier to go to 65" (1/2 ton late 70s ford, HP44/9") that I decided to go with that width. I have been nothing but happy with my width for the type of wheeling I do (Tellico). I find that its easier to straddle ruts, and easier to keep the jeep off of stuff (although my body panels may not show it). I also really like the extra stability. There might be some stuff out west where the width could be a real problem, but thats not where I wheel for the most part.
As for the width, my rims have a lot of backspacing (haven't measured but they're stock bronco rims) and its not that wide, probbably 3"-4" per side including the 36x12.5s)

here's a pic, for comparison a stock ZJ has the tires fully under the fenders

i think that width is a purely personal choice based on what your trails are like. Let us know how it comes out
Tim
Old 08-18-2003, 04:07 PM

I agree also, based on my limited experience of watching jeeps run through JV, that it probably does depend on where and what you want to wheel.

I know in JV, if you come with wide axles, you better have beefed up everything else they are attached to, becasue if you don't, your axles will be fine, but stuff on your jeep may break.

Skinnier out here in the west may let you avoid and squeeze through obsticles that wider axles will have to bull through or go over.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:56 AM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
Skinnier out here in the west may let you avoid and squeeze through obsticles that wider axles will have to bull through or go over.
We just went through Rubicon last weekend and my friend has an old CJ5 with narrow-track tires. I have stock width axles under my XJ with rims that don't have a lot of backspacing, so I'm a bit wider. While I had to drive over the rocks, he was able to just drive around them.
I'd say it all depends on the size tire you want to run, after 35" full-width axles will come in very handy to keep the rig more stable.