Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2001, 10:02 PM

What are the tell tale signs of either a steering box or pump going bad?

Okay guys maybe you can give me a hand here: I have begun to hear a groaning sign from my ZJ steering system. Something is definitely going south but I can't make a decision to what it is. Is it either the pump or the box. The reason I can't decide is the following:

1. There is a intermittent groaning sound when turning (pump?)
2. The steering is hard to turn when first started in the morning (pump?)
3. After several (10+) alignments, there is a constant pull to the right. I think this is related to the front track bar drop down bracket or the steering box
4. When I raise the Jeep in the air and start the engine there isn't a pull on the wheels. Making me think the problem is not related to the box
5. The back and forth steering has a sensation like the body is shifting around the axle. Like a loose or missing track bar (box?)

I am all confused: can you help? Now that I read this: it seems like it is the pump and I should get rid of that t-bar drop bracket. Maybe I'll start there. Any suggestions. Be easy on a guy and his first tech post

Cha

1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee Laredo Lifted
Old 12-21-2001, 10:39 PM
Banned

Sounds like it's the pump to me. A bad pump won't cause your pull to the right though. That's more of an alignment issue. Could also be tire pressure, tire quality or a sticky brake caliper.

http://www.dehesa4x4.com/bkilby/
Old 12-22-2001, 06:53 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chadjans:
Okay guys maybe you can give me a hand here: I have begun to hear a groaning sign from my ZJ steering system. Something is definitely going south but I can't make a decision to what it is. Is it either the pump or the box. The reason I can't decide is the following:

1. There is a intermittent groaning sound when turning (pump?)

Is the sound continous while you are holding the turn? Does it make the sound when you first start the turn and then stop until you bring back to straight and then start again briefly and then stop?
2. The steering is hard to turn when first started in the morning (pump?)

Definately sounds like the pump there.

3. After several (10+) alignments, there is a constant pull to the right. I think this is related to the front track bar drop down bracket or the steering box

The bracket won't make it pull. Pulling one way or another in this case, like Brad said, is usually a caliper, tires, tire pressure, and parts need to checked one side at a time to diagnose the problem.

4. When I raise the Jeep in the air and start the engine there isn't a pull on the wheels. Making me think the problem is not related to the box

You have confused me with this one. Do you mean that you have a pull on the steering one way with the engine running when the jeep is on the ground?

5. The back and forth steering has a sensation like the body is shifting around the axle. Like a loose or missing track bar (box?)

Have someone cycle the steering wheel back and forth while you stare at all the parts under the front end. They should be moving it about 3 or 4 inches back and forth very quickly. Watch the relationship between all the connections, and look at the sector shaft coming out of the steering box. If the bushing is bad, you will see it wobble.

I am all confused: can you help? Now that I read this: it seems like it is the pump and I should get rid of that t-bar drop bracket. Maybe I'll start there. Any suggestions. Be easy on a guy and his first tech post

Cha

1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee Laredo Lifted[/quote]

The best suggestion is to know what is causing the problem before you start swapping out parts.

You are just another ride in the amusement park of my mind.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:27 PM
AA reject

Chad--
I am having the same issue with my steering system.

Blaine--
When you where watching my steering move back and forth, you said it was the box? or the arm that comes out of the box was bad? can't remember.

97 ZJ 7.5" lift, Armed and plated bus.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:52 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
Chad--
I am having the same issue with my steering system.

Blaine--
When you where watching my steering move back and forth, you said it was the box? or the arm that comes out of the box was bad? can't remember.

97 ZJ 7.5" lift, Armed and plated bus.[/quote]

The sector shaft is wobbling side to side in yours Chris.

You are just another ride in the amusement park of my mind.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:34 PM

One thing to do is replace the power steering fluid. When mine goes bad, the pump groans and is harder to use. My understanding is that when the steering over heats (think rocks) the fluid breaks down, reducing its effectiveness.

Doesn't account for the pull or wobble.

seth

Humpty Dumpty
Old 12-22-2001, 06:59 PM

When I mentioned that raising the jeep in the air and starting the engine I was talking about the box pulling. I was told to raise the front of the jeep in the air and have someone start the engine while you look at the steering as a whole to help diagonose the pulling problem. The box may have a tendency to cause a pull to the right and this would be evident by checking to see if the wheels pull to the right or left when starting the engine and no weight on the vehicle front wheels. I know it is not a sticking caliper because the front cailpers were recently rebuilt. I check my air pressure every week and they are all even.

I am going to 4.5 inches next month so the front t-bar will have to be replaced with an adjustable, that is when I will loose the drop bracket. Could a non centered front axle cause a pull? I'll look into that. I can get a hell of a deal on a Napa pump. Will pick one up and have it ready I think I'll also try Seth's suggestion of a fluid change. Sounds like a resonable suggestion. Anyone have any others?

Thanks guys
Cha

1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee Laredo Lifted