Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-12-2002, 12:56 PM

Steering box on its way out? Let me know what you think...

I'm having this really weird problem w/ the ZJ. The steering has had a lot of play in it for a while. Recently it has just begun to act up. I wheeled on Saturday and just yesterday it has started to creak (like walking through an old house) really bad when turning left and returning to center from left. It's almost like short very fast little pops sometimes. My steering pump also sounds like coffee brewing when I am turning. I am more concerned about the box. I laid under the Jeep and had someone turn the wheel and it sounds like its coming from up around the pitman arm or being resonated to the bull bar. The pitman arm also appears to have side to side play where it connects to the box. I tightened the steering box bolts and all other suspension components and greased everything and its still there. I think it has to do w/ something internally in the steering box. Am I about to lose the box? I guess I'm asking for opinions and are re-built boxes from like NAPA ok to get or should I try to spring for a AGR? Thanks.

'93 ZJ, 5.5", 33" SSRs
Old 02-12-2002, 02:49 PM

Do you have a longer drop pitman arm ?

I did the install of my lift on my ZJ this last weekend. and when we were done I saw that my drop pitman arm was way way way outa wack. It was making noises like you said yours sounded.

So I just picked up a skyjacker 4'' drop pitman arm from 4wheel parts today and its being installed tonight. We'll see if that helps and will post more tomorrow.

Jim

Soon to be 6.5 lifted Bus

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 02-12-2002, 02:55 PM

No, I do not. But, I have had this lift on for 9 months w/ no adverse affects from the steering box. My steering geometry is fine without it. I don't think a pitman arm would cure clunks or clicking from what sounds like inside the box.

'93 ZJ, 5.5", 33" SSRs
Old 02-14-2002, 06:05 PM

There are a few of us here with bad steering boxes. Specifically the sector shaft. I'm wondering if there is any kind of solution for this...

R/
William
Old 02-14-2002, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
It helps to make sure the track bar is in good shape

95 YJ, SOA and axle swap in progress
"When in doubt, gas 'er out"
Old 02-16-2002, 06:34 AM

COuld a worn steering shaft be the cause of some loose steering? Do the steering shaft u-joints wear out? I'm talking about the shaft connecting the steering wheel to the steering box.

Risko, I've also heard it helps not to drop loose nuts to get lodged behind the steering box.

94 ZJ 6.5" lift
Old 02-24-2002, 09:03 AM

I've said this before, mine made all kinds of crazy ass noises before it took a ****. But it broke cause I had a spool in front with auto locking hubs. Is it harder to turn one direction than the other, also when idling is it pretty hard to turn? Mine was like that, it sucked!
-Nate

95 ZJ 35's locked |CU 4 Wheeling club