Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 09-20-2001, 06:38 PM
Banned

Driving w/o rear drive shaft - need to know

I need to know, for sure, if I can drive without my rear drive shaft (without t-case fluid flying out somewhere). I pulled the shaft (slid right off the t-case output shaft), and have the output shaft of the t-case hanging ~8" or so out the back. I can't see why there would be a problem, because there is only the rubber boot of the drive shaft up against the tail cone. Can anyone confirm this before I start driving

Thanks.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 09-20-2001, 07:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ace!:
I need to know, for sure, if I can drive without my rear drive shaft (without t-case fluid flying out somewhere). I pulled the shaft (slid right off the t-case output shaft), and have the output shaft of the t-case hanging ~8" or so out the back. I can't see why there would be a problem, because there is only the rubber boot of the DRIVE shaft up against the tail cone. Can anyone confirm this before I start driving

Thanks.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom[/quote]

Are you saying the proper thing (what I capitalized)??? The DRIVESHAFT does not include the x-fer case yoke!

If you have a TJ (not a YJ), you can remove the rear DRIVESHAFT AT THE U-JOINTS, leaving the yoke attached to the x-fer case, there should be a rubber boot w/ silver clamps that holds the rear yoke on the tail cone of the x-fer case. If the boot and clamps are in good shape, you can drive that way, no problem.

A YJ does NOT have that rubber boot and the yoke will slide all the way out and fall out, leaking fluid all the way.

Your rig may have been modified if you can slide the driveshaft, with the x-fer case yoke attached, completely out of the x-fer case (like lay it on the ground out, not just slid out but still attached)
HTH

2000 TJ 4.0L, A/T, all factory options.
Jeep Rater Score 360
http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/
NRA Lifetime Member

[This message was edited by Hellbender on September 20, 2001 at 08:48 PM.]

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 09-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Banned

Hope this helps explain what I did

What I did was remove the rear "straps" (that attach the drive shaft and u-joints to the rear axle pinion). I then gave a little "tug" on the driveshaft (the whole thing) and it slides completely off (as it's in my storage closet right now). It is the rear u-joint, driveshaft, and what I would call the front "yoke". No u-joints were removed from the shaft. On the back of the t-case is the tail cone, with rear t-case output shaft still sticking out the back. The driveshaft was not connected to the t-case, except maybe for that metal band that holds the rubber boot on. The front yoke of the driveshaft/t-case yoke sort of "floats" on the output shaft of the t-case. It just slides right off the output shaft, right off the back of the t-case. I looked down the rubber boot, still attached to the driveshaft and can see where the teeth (grooves) of the output shaft slide into it.

Had I removed the driveshaft at the u-joints for instance (i.e., leaving the u-joints attached to axle/t-case), the t-case yoke (with the u-joint attached) could be pulled off. The ONLY thing that might make it not slide right off is the metal band that holds the rubber boot on. That is the ONLY thing that is holding on that "yoke", and it seemed safer to just slide the whole thing off than to have that turning at whatever RPM with nothing really holding it on. That yoke slides OVER the t-case output shaft, and holds no fluid or seals anything I can see (it's just the end of the rubber boot against the back of the t-case).

BTW, I know the t-case/driveshaft are stock, and never modified. I read on JU that this would work, but wanted to verify here, among those I trust.

Are you saying there a reason fluid should be leaking out right now (it isn't)?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm do

[This message was edited by Ace! on September 20, 2001 at 10:39 PM.]
Old 09-20-2001, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Ya know, there was this guy on JU, called himself by some vacuum related moniker that was faced with just the same dilemma the other day. What a coincidence.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Old 09-20-2001, 09:21 PM
Banned

Yeah, I read that post, but there were answers going both ways, and whoever wrote the helpful answers deleted them all (whoever it was, I don't remember, said to do it the way I did it taking everything off, including the rubber boot/yoke). I'm hoping someone I trust can give me a definitive answer.

Old 09-21-2001, 12:11 AM

That's the slip yoke. It's made to move on the splines as your axle moves up and down. You are ok, it will not leak. You can drive it.
Ron
Old 09-21-2001, 07:16 AM
Banned

Thanks. I spoke to a guy at New Venture Gear that said, not the best way to drive a TJ, but sure can be done if necessary (he is responsible for the TJ 231 design)

By the way, if anyone ever does this, he said take that yoke off the t-case or it'll go flying off the end of the output shaft. That metal band is to hold the rubber boot snug, not the yoke to the t-case.

[This message was edited by Ace! on September 21, 2001 at 08:50 AM.]
Old 09-21-2001, 10:03 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ace!:
Thanks. I spoke to a guy at New Venture Gear that said, not the best way to drive a TJ, but sure can be done if necessary (he is responsible for the TJ 231 design)

By the way, if anyone ever does this, he said take that yoke off the t-case or it'll go flying off the end of the output shaft. That metal band is to hold the rubber boot snug, not the yoke to the t-case.

[This message was edited by Ace! on September 21, 2001 at 08:50 AM.][/quote]

Its a rather dangerous way to drive the jeep. I've done it for very short spurt out of necessity and its just wrong. Handling and braking are effected severely.

Drive like you're behind your mother.

Humpty Dumpty Land: Formerly Tightey Whitey World
Old 09-21-2001, 10:10 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tip Seth, I've heard it's especially "quirky" if you've got a LSD or locker up front. I guess we'll see. I'm considering not moving it at all, but tearing into the t-case first and waiting for my drive shaft to be built, but I've got Costco calling me telling me to pick up my d*mned tires already (they got them in a week early, wouldn't ya know it). So, I think I'll run over and pick them up Saturday morning then tear into the t-case sometime tomorrow or Sunday. It sure has been fun (and at times frustrating) replacing the suspension, track bars, etc.

Old 09-21-2001, 10:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seth:
Drive like you're behind your mother.
[/quote]
My mom would argue that it's not the best advice for people like me.

R/
William
Old 09-21-2001, 10:23 AM
Banned

I'm not touching that one William

Old 09-21-2001, 04:47 PM

Screw costco. Like they don't have enough room in their WAREHOUSE???

Wait til its safe....

Humpty Dumpty Land: Formerly Tightey Whitey World