Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 AM

Excessively Noisy SwayLOC Frame Bushings

I have the "second version" of the 1st generation air-actuated ORO SwayLOC dual rate anti-sway bar system in my 2000 TJ that was installed back in October of 2005 (which still has the older splined torsion bar shaft ends).

I have had an aggravating problem associated with the large drivers-side & passenger-side frame bushings that the SwayLOC torsion bar shafts rotate within. Once I am off-road and activate the SwayLOC unit, the constant squeaking sounds that come out of those frame bushings is really incredibly noisy and I can be heard coming a mile away. A number of people have commented on just how loud and obnoxious the squeaking sounds are. Since there is no way I am aware of to grease the bushings in place, I have tried periodically spraying aerosol lubricants (silicone spray, etc.) into the outer side of the frame bushings when off-road, but this has had little positive or long-lasting effect in terms of reducing the squeaking sounds.

Does anyone who runs the 1st generation SwayLOC in their Jeep have any recommendations as to what I can do to lessen or eliminate the squeaking sounds coming from the frame bushings? Short of taking the SwayLOC apart and directly greasing the bushings (like I did with Viper Lube in 2010), is there some better way to tackle this without going to that kind of trouble (which only lasts for a brief period anyway)? For example, has anyone ever successfully put Zerk fittings in to grease the frame bushings & shafts in place? If not, is there a more effective lubricant that I can apply from the outside that would work better & last longer?

If anyone has any ideas for something that might work here (short of ear plugs), I would really appreciate hearing about it.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Reggae

If the squeak is generated from the contact of the outer surface of the bushing with the jeep frame tube, how about instead of greasing it, go the other way; use something to stop it from moving?

You can paint surfaces with rosin dissolved in alcohol, to stop them from sliding.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the idea, but as far as I know, the bushings don't rotate or otherwise move in relation to the frame. It's the twisting action of the torsion/anti-sway bars inside of the inner diameter of the polyurethane bushings themselves.